Classic Albums and what didn't work for you

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Classic Albums and what didn't work for you

Hey gang,

We have discussed at length some of the great albums which have been recorded through the years, even calling some of them masterpieces. But even masterpieces have some scratches on it.

Give some of your amazing albums and the song or two on it that just doesn't measure up to the rest.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Re: Classic Albums and what didn't work for you

Exit from U2 off the Joshua Tree.  It could have been a good song but it wasn't mixed well.  The producers dropped the ball on this one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

The ones that always stay with me are where the "defect" is the last track, because I always stop the album early:

For Crying Out Loud - Meat Loaf / Bat Out of Hell
    A Slow Song - Joe Jackson / Night and Day

and above and beyond all others...

Her Majesty - The Beatles / Abbey Road

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Albums and what didn't work for you:
    The ones that always stay with me are where the "defect" is the last track, because I always stop the album early: For Crying Out Loud - Meat Loaf / Bat Out of Hell A Slow Song - Joe Jackson / Night and Day and above and beyond all others... Her Majesty - The Beatles / Abbey Road
    Posted by gerbs

Hey I like "For Crying Out Loud."

Tongue Out

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

My pick is easy.

"Within You Without You" from the Sgt. Pepper album. That song is awful.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

My pick is easy. "Within You Without You" from the Sgt. Pepper album. That song is awful.
    Posted by royf19

One of my favorite songs on the album.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Not sure why Rod Stewart put his version of Amazing Grace on Every Picture Tells a Story

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Deep Purple's 'Machine Head' had two pretty obvious filler songs, 'Maybe I'm a Leo' and 'Never Before'.  Not terrible songs but clearly fillers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

At the time I thought 'Within You Without You' was a bore and I would sometimes skip it when playing the album.  Now I like it and accept it as an integral part of Pepper.

I always found the first part of the second side of 'Abbey Road' a little snoozy.  By the time 'Sun King' wrapped up I was absolutely itching for 'Mean Mr. Mustard' to kick in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Layla and other assorted love songs

"Thorn Tree in the Garden"

Eric was nice to Whitlock here and shouldn't have been.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I liked "For crying out loud" and "Within you without you" too.And Jessey,you're right about "Amazing Grace".Almost every cover I've heard Rod Stewart do,he really did a poor job with.That includes Pinball Wizard and Street fighting man.
        On the album Tommy by the Who,the song called "Cousin Kevin" is the one song that I think should have been done differently.I understand why it's on the album and it's relevance to the "story" being told.It just isn't a song that I believe fits on the album musically,but that's just my opinion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I've mentioned this before, but the title cut on Born to Run -- an otherwise flawless album -- simply doesn't hold up for me.

I don't know if its excessive exposure or Bruces trite, tortured metaphors -- which work okay elsewhere on the album and in his catalogue -- but I've simply had enough of Born to Run.

Wrap your legs 'round these velvet rims?

Seriously?

Foot in mouth

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

'Revolutin 9' from the Beatles ( aka -The White Album).

It's kind of interesting the first and second time you hear it, then you find yourself skipping over it because it is so damned annoying. Kind of like the Yoko tracks on the otherwise brilliant Lennon solo albums. Just awful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

'Revolutin 9' from the Beatles ( aka -The White Album). It's kind of interesting the first and second time you hear it, then you find yourself skipping over it because it is so damned annoying. Kind of like the Yoko tracks on the otherwise brilliant Lennon solo albums. Just awful.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I have to admit that my afection for #9 will never wane, as I admit that it was absolutely my favorite song when wasted. I just laughed forever and a day.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Pearl Jam - Ten - "Jeremy"

Don't like this song.  Never did.  Never will.  The rest of the album is great, one of the very best of the 90s.  They did it again two years later with "Daughter".  Bad track, great album (Vs.)...

Pink Floyd - The Wall - "Vera"

I also used to FF over "Great Gig In The Sky" on DSOTM, but not anymore...(acquired tastes).  Even "Vera" is kind of a stretch, since I find that I like most of Floyd's "failures" better than other, similar bands "successes".

Stones - Let It Bleed - You Got The Silver

Keef is just fine...still don't like this song...eight was indeed enough, as it were.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Pearl Jam - Ten - "Jeremy" Don't like this song.  Never did.  Never will.  The rest of the album is great, one of the very best of the 90s.  They did it again two years later with "Daughter".  Bad track, great album ( Vs .)Posted by MattyScornD

yoga is gonna have a heart attack when she finds out you dissed her man

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Layla and other assorted love songs "Thorn Tree in the Garden" Eric was nice to Whitlock here and shouldn't have been.
    Posted by jesseyeric

jessey -- great thread. It really shows how people have different tastes. I like "Thorn Tree in the Garden." It's the perfect short song to close out that album. It works perfectly IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I was listening to Ziggy with the additional songs on it and found that Ziggy is probably the weakest song on that album. Very upsetting to me at the moment. I think I will start a Ziggy thread.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Revolution 9 isn't a song. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Revolution 9 isn't a song. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

of course it is. where do you draw the line? subjective.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Albums and what didn't work for you : of course it is. where do you draw the line? subjective.
    Posted by phsmith8

Maybe so.  Personally I think the line is pretty clear here.  Revolution 9 is a sound collage.  But it's not a song.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

in the most traditional sense you're right...but i know of a heckuva lot of people and artists who would very, very strongly disagree with you. 

sound collage is a very good description of a lot of songs these days.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Albums and what didn't work for you : Can't agree with Vera.  Its Waters' WWII theme and integral to almost everything he writes.
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Knew you'd come calling...

You and I can agree to disagree on our Floyd preferences.

"The Wall" is not even in my top 3 of Floyd LPs, and 'Vera' is one reason why. ('The Trial', while still enjoyable, is another.)  I get it...just not my earl grey....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Albums and what didn't work for you : Maybe so.  Personally I think the line is pretty clear here.  Revolution 9 is a sound collage.  But it's not a song.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

It's definitely a song...

...just not a terrifically good one.

Sections
Shortcuts