Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you

We had a thread about what we considered the worst rock song. But what about songs that are considered great by most; loved by most but irritate you and not because it has been overplayed through the years. It is just because you disliked it from the start.

Number one on my list is Whole Lotta Love by Zeppelin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you

Horse with no name" By America this song is so bad I can't even understand how people like it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Black Sabbath's Iron Man. Never been much of a Sabbath fan, but that song makes me want to jam pencils in my ears.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Boy here's a troublemaker thread.  First I'll say I'm a little surprised by jesseyeric's choice and I perfectly understand software's choice.

I can't quickly think of one I really hate, but I've gone on record a few times about Kashmir being a song whose greatness totally escapes me.  I've switched the channel a few times when it comes on.  I don't hate it but it just doesn't do anything for me.  And that goes right back to when I first heard it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Iron Man didn't start off has one of my favorite songs but back in The Bronx hey day of street gangs and all that other wonderful stuff, we actually would march to Bronx River Park with Iron Man blasting out of a boom box. This way the other street gang knew we were coming.

What a bunch of dopes we were. However, Iron Man remained dear to my heart ever since.

As for Whole Lotta Love. I cannot explain my dislike for it. I hated it from day one and I love Zep.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you:
    [QUOTE]Horse with no name" By America this song is so bad I can't even understand how people like it.
    Posted by shumirules[/QUOTE]

This is why I chose this thread. Most people love this song, including myself. I guess every now and then, a song just irritates some one while causing thousands of others to swoon.

Benny and the Jets (Elton John) is another one of those songs for me. Pour Some Sugar On Me is another.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KathyVT. Show KathyVT's posts

Kiss by Prince. Yuck.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Kiss by Prince. Yuck.
    Posted by KathyVT[/QUOTE]

Do you prefer the Tom Jones version?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Owner of a lonely heart- Yes

Love Yes. liked that album quite a bit, even though Howe and Wakeman were not there. Loved "Changes," which I think is one of the bands best tracks. Owner was just a product of it's time though, mid 80's pop at it's worst.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ok, in general, never, ever liked the Talking Heads.  Could understand their impact and why others liked them, but never liked them.

Once In A Lifetime -  total cliche unoriginal concept, and just plain hated it from day one.    Wild, Wild Life was no better, and neither was Burning Down the House, all major hits that I could not tolerate. 

"Gravity" -- when will that song go away?!   Never liked it from day one, and have no idea how it became so popular.  Hate it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, in general, never, ever liked the Talking Heads.  Could understand their impact and why others liked them, but never liked them. Once In A Lifetime -  total cliche unoriginal concept, and just plain hated it from day one.    Wild, Wild Life was no better, and neither was Burning Down the House, all major hits that I could not tolerate.  "Gravity" -- when will that song go away?!   Never liked it from day one, and have no idea how it became so popular.  Hate it. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I think I am developing a crush on you with this one

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I didn't quite like Whole Lotta Love at first but grew to really like it for some reason.

My song, at least one of them:

Born in the USA -- Bruce Springsteen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I can understand not liking the song Once in a Lifetime but I'm surprised to hear it described as unoriginal.  I thought the song and the video were really different and 'out-there'.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Freebird.
    I like a lot of Skynard's music, but always considered that one a weak effort.
    Who said pencils in their ears?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

For me it's "Money" by Pink Floyd. Not only is Pink Floyd one of my favorite bands, but "Dark Side Of The Moon" is one of my favorite albums. I've tried forcing myself into liking that song, but I've never been able to.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you : I think I am developing a crush on you with this one
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

You are a riot, man!  

Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I can understand not liking the song Once in a Lifetime but I'm surprised to hear it described as unoriginal.  I thought the song and the video were really different and 'out-there'.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    Just to clarify ... I did acknowledge that I could understand that the Talking Heads had a fan base and that they did bring a new concept to New Wave.  But the reason I called the song unoriginal was b/c the lyrics were a tired satire / statement on middle class values, mindlessly getting into a rut, having a meaningless life, etc., and struck me as just another cliche.   For me, they were just trying too hard. 
    and yes, they did make a good video.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you : You are a riot, man!  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I might have caused a few way back when.

Your commentary on the Talking Heads is right on the money. Saw this band back in the day at CBGB's and was never all that impressed. For some reason, David Byrne bothered me then and as the years went by, he managed to prove me right.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Thunderstruck  AC/DC

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Don't Want To Miss A Thing - just horrible

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

"Cocaine" by Clapton. Absolutely dreadful. Beyond dreadful, in fact.
    Also "Jack and Diane" or pretty much anything by Mellencamp.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]"Cocaine" by Clapton. Absolutely dreadful. Beyond dreadful, in fact. Also "Jack and Diane" or pretty much anything by Mellencamp.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Agreed on both thoughts. How is Mellencamp in the HoF?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

this could be such a long list..

a couple that qquickly come to mind

Stairway to Heaven Zeppelin
    Walk This Way - Aerosmith

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin. Well, at least I'm not the first to post this.

I don't know if I actually "hate" any song, but this is one Classic Rock song that I don't care if I ever listen to again. And it's for all the reasons that people like it. It starts off soft and builds up, so what? It has the cliched screeching vocals of heavy metal at it's most extreme. The goofy lyrics trying to be "heavy". This is a song that is just begging to be parodied. And the song is too long, to boot.

Jess, you chose "Whole Lotta Love", but that song at least is simple and direct in keeping with the blues tradition of braggadocio about sexual prowess.

I await the backlash.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Well two of mine have already been named that dreadful Aerosmith song "I don't want to miss a thing" ( I do- this song!) and the "Jack and Diane" song by J.C.Mellencamp.

I'll add Springsteen's "Born to Run"...why don't they play his better songs more like "Brilliant Disquise" and " Youngstown" ???

Guess I'll put my 'artist if the day'- Talking Heads thread on hold, for now. Did I ever tell you a few people think I resemble David Byrne to some degree? Also the Talking Heads are the most successful band , geographically speaking to where I live, I believe they have called New York their home but in truth they are RISD art students, so I consider them from next door...Little Rhody ( I can walk over the border from where I am right now in about 10 minutes).

Well, I can see this great band is no favorite of a few of you...so I'll get my ammo ready and do this another day.

Sections
Shortcuts