Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you

"Hotel California"

I hear the opening note, and I automatically change the station.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think Hotel California along with Stairway, Freebird and Hey Jude are four of the most overplayed songs ever. And I think this has pushed them into many's least favorite song list.

Strange enough - one song that has probably been overplayed but seems to retain the devotion of its fans is Bohemian Rhapsody.

Thank you Zil for putting the Heads on the back burner. Funny, but I probably dislike them more than you dislike Cheap Trick. I think Byrne is nothing more then a hack and I much prefered the side project of Tina and her hubby. For the life of me, I cannot think of the bands name. D*mn I hate getting old.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you:
    Well two of mine have already been named that dreadful Aerosmith song "I don't want to miss a thing" ( I do- this song!) and the "Jack and Diane" song by J.C.Mellencamp. I'll add Springsteen's "Born to Run"...why don't they play his better songs more like "Brilliant Disquise" and " Youngstown" ??? Guess I'll put my 'artist if the day'- Talking Heads thread on hold, for now. Did I ever tell you a few people think I resemble David Byrne to some degree? Also the Talking Heads are the most successful band , geographically speaking to where I live, I believe they have called New York their home but in truth they are RISD art students, so I consider them from next door...Little Rhody ( I can walk over the border from where I am right now in about 10 minutes). Well, I can see this great band is no favorite of a few of you...so I'll get my ammo ready and do this another day.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I like the Heads, and my wife likes them even more than I do.  So I'm with you there Zilla.  Maybe we can get a nasty fight going on this forum after all.Laughing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you : Agreed on both thoughts. How is Mellencamp in the HoF?
    Posted by jesseyeric

How is Dr John not in the HoF? BTW, for the record my choice has to be Stairway to Heaven, even though I love a lot of Zeppelin's stuff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

I think Byrne is nothing more then a hack and I much prefered the side project of Tina and her hubby. For the life of me, I cannot think of the bands name. D*mn I hate getting old.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Was that the Tom Tom Club?

I actually like TH quite a bit, and especially enjoyed the Demme film "Stop Making Sense", in which Weymouth/Frantz project got at least one number while Byrne took a break.

On the original topic, I second the nomination of Free Bird as one that I never quite "got" even though I love long songs for the most part.  Of course I don't care much for LS's short songs either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you : I like the Heads, and my wife likes them even more than I do.  So I'm with you there Zilla.  Maybe we can get a nasty fight going on this forum after all.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I'm thinking of a "Talking Heads fans unite!" thread.

"Burnin' Down the House!!!" and "Psycho Killer" are songs made for people like me. Rock fans who like their music a little on the silly side, but yet dealing with real life issues. I offer Stan Ridgway's solo catalogue as another fine example of music for maniacs who are sick of songs about romance and cars and any other subject that were done to death before 1970.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you : I like the Heads, and my wife likes them even more than I do.  So I'm with you there Zilla.  Maybe we can get a nasty fight going on this forum after all.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Oh, this is getting good.    Laughing   Let me go get some popcorn first.  

I didn't think my comment would get so much feedback, but I love the idea that it sparked a reaction. 

Anyone that wants to start a Talking Heads thread will apparently get an earful! 

As for David Byrne,  apparently Jesseyeric and I see him the same way -- nothing more than a poseur, fake and smug.    Insofar as RISD goes, I love RISD, but that doesn't mean I love someone just b/c they went to RISD.   LOTS of successful graduates from RISD, and the TH's may be among them, but that doesn't rescue them from being a band I never liked.  

I'm in when ever you want to put the thread up!  Smile

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Hotel California and Free Bird - Ditto

I'll add:
    "Levon" - Elton John
    "Piano Man" - Billy Joel
    "Sweet Caroline" - Neil Diamond
    "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen

And my ears were burning, because some small-scale ripping of Talking Heads was going on.  Another thread is needed to talk about what might be the greatest art school (and art rock) band of all time....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

For me it's "Money" by Pink Floyd. Not only is Pink Floyd one of my favorite bands, but "Dark Side Of The Moon" is one of my favorite albums. I've tried forcing myself into liking that song, but I've never been able to.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

Oh, I agree.

That was the first song I ever from Dark Side and couldn't understand what the fascination was with the album until I finally heard the rest of it.

I wouldn't say hate the song. It's kind of catchy, and it's OK I guess. I mean I won't change the station if it comes on the radio like I would with other songs, and when I listen to Dark Side, I won't skip it. There are plenty of songs I hate worse, but it's probably one of my least-liked Pink Floyd songs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think Hotel California along with Stairway, Freebird and Hey Jude are four of the most overplayed songs ever. And I think this has pushed them into many's least favorite song list. Strange enough - one song that has probably been overplayed but seems to retain the devotion of its fans is Bohemian Rhapsody.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I agree with these points and I'd add Carry on Wayward Son by Kansas. Hotel, for some reason, hasn't gotten old. And somehow, I went a long time w/o hearing Stairway and Freebird that they somehow are fresh again for me. Hey Jude isn't played on the radio anymore -- at least I never hear it -- and I don't have the CD that it's on. (I had the album). So I haven't heard it in a long time, so it's fresh. (I need to get either Past Masters or the second Greatest Hits doubles album on CD. My Beatles library is missing some key songs.)

Bohemian Rhaposdy is overplayed, but that song too doesn't get old.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

"Cocaine" by Clapton. Absolutely dreadful. Beyond dreadful, in fact. Also "Jack and Diane" or pretty much anything by Mellencamp.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Agree on both counts.

There are two Mellancamp songs that I like. One is his verson of Wild Nights, the duet he did. There's another, but I can't remember which one. It's an early song, and I was going through the list of songs and none ring a bell. But I remember there actually was a song I liked of his. Eh, who knows.

Did see him in concert when he played the Rock SuperBowl in Orlando. He came on after John (Hiatt I) think and before Loverboy and Fleetwood Mac.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Matty, you're killing me. I like all those songs.

I was never into Talking Heads, so I don't really have an opinion of David Byrne one way or another.

I did see the MTV Unplugged with 10,000 Maniacs and at the end, he came out and did a duet on a couple of songs with Natalie Merchant. One, "Let the Mystery Be," as I enjoyed and thought was really good.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you : This is why I chose this thread. Most people love this song, including myself. I guess every now and then, a song just irritates some one while causing thousands of others to swoon. Benny and the Jets (Elton John) is another one of those songs for me. Pour Some Sugar On Me is another.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I agree 100% on Benny and the Jets, change the radio as soon as I can when it comes on.

The thing that bugs me about Horse with no name is not so much the music, but the just plain dumb lyrics.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you : Oh, I agree. That was the first song I ever from Dark Side and couldn't understand what the fascination was with the album until I finally heard the rest of it. I wouldn't say hate the song. It's kind of catchy, and it's OK I guess. I mean I won't change the station if it comes on the radio like I would with other songs, and when I listen to Dark Side, I won't skip it. There are plenty of songs I hate worse, but it's probably one of my least-liked Pink Floyd songs.
    Posted by royf19

I can understand some of the negative comments about "Money" especially from Floyd fans ... maybe it's TOO catchy compared to their other work.  But what I love about the song (warning: music-geek speak) is that it's one of only two songs I know that are mostly in a 7/4 time signature without feeling forced or un-rhythmic.

Extra credit for naming the other such song...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you : I'm thinking of a "Talking Heads fans unite!" thread. "Burnin' Down the House!!!" and "Psycho Killer" are songs made for people like me. Rock fans who like their music a little on the silly side, but yet dealing with real life issues. I offer Stan Ridgway's solo catalogue as another fine example of music for maniacs who are sick of songs about romance and cars and any other subject that were done to death before 1970.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Here is the kicker - I loved Psycho Killer and it so fit in with NY and the summer of 77 in NYC (Son of Sam). I thought this song was amazing and then they lost me with the sh*t that followed. Life During Wartime got me listening again but that lasted about the length of the song.

For me, there is no fight. David Byrne is right there with Patti Smith as musical entities that I can personally live without. I know they are high among many music lovers favorite lists. But not me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you : Was that the Tom Tom Club? I actually like TH quite a bit, and especially enjoyed the Demme film "Stop Making Sense", in which Weymouth/Frantz project got at least one number while Byrne took a break. On the original topic, I second the nomination of Free Bird as one that I never quite "got" even though I love long songs for the most part.  Of course I don't care much for LS's short songs either.
    Posted by gerbs

Thanks gerbs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KathyVT. Show KathyVT's posts

In Response to Re: Classic Rock song beloved by most; hated by you : Do you prefer the Tom Jones version?
    Posted by jesseyeric

That version makes Prince's version actually sound good.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Matty, you're killing me. I like all those songs. I was never into Talking Heads, so I don't really have an opinion of David Byrne one way or another. I did see the MTV Unplugged with 10,000 Maniacs and at the end, he came out and did a duet on a couple of songs with Natalie Merchant. One, "Let the Mystery Be," as I enjoyed and thought was really good.
    Posted by royf19

Again, 'hate' is such a strong word.  There may have been a time when I liked them, but they have fallen into the overplayed-to-death bin for me.

As for the Heads and Byrne, I'll reserve my comments for now, except to say that they are without question a top 20 band for me.  It might just be my art school grad bias, but I can back it up....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Freebird, Stairway to Heaven,Born in the USA, A Horse with no name(come on the lyrics make no sense)New Kid in Town(Like the Eagles just coudn't stand that song)Roundabout(Didn't hate it, just hated the overplay in the 70's)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Matty, you're killing me. I like all those songs. I was never into Talking Heads, so I don't really have an opinion of David Byrne one way or another. I did see the MTV Unplugged with 10,000 Maniacs and at the end, he came out and did a duet on a couple of songs with Natalie Merchant. One, "Let the Mystery Be," as I enjoyed and thought was really good.
    Posted by royf19

"Let the Mystery Be" is a song by Iris Dement from her album Infamous Angel.Her music is in a folk Americana vein and it's a very good album, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaoR5m4L80&feature=related

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I'm glad to see "Stairway to Heaven" at the top of many lists.  I truly detest that song and it was the first one I thought of.  Of course, it doesn't help that when the album first came out I was living on the fourth floor of an apt. on Mountfort St. in Boston (close to Kenmore Sq.), and the guy below me was learning to play the drums to that album.  Also, I thought the opening riff of the song was a rip off of Johnny Rivers' "Summer Rain."

With regard to the Talking Heads, I'm afraid I'm in the minority.  I didn't even know who they were until I saw "Stop Making Sense" in the movies, and I thought it was brilliant in every regard.  When DVD's first came out, it was the first one I bought and it remains one of my favorites both visually and musically.  Another of my favorite music DVD's is Roy Orbison's "A Black and White Night."

I used to sing in clubs in San Diego in the seventies, and the most requested song at the time was "Tie a Yellow Ribbon."  Talk about hating a song.  I refused to sing it regardless of how large a tip I was offered.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Stairway to Heaven and Bohemian Rhapsody have been mentioned and should really go without saying. I'd add Aerosmith's Dream On to that list and pretty much anything off Born in the USA.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

91 or 623 Chicago,  I think that is the name.  I have no idea what it is about.  Its just terrible.

Pmike I have to agree Born in the USA does not hold up, Other then My hometown and Glory Days.  I cant think of a song on the ablum I really even like that much today.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

If I never hear 'Dream On' again I'll be a happy man.  Ditto for *anything* by Boston. It's criminal that the City's name is attached to that generic pap.

No sir, give me David Byrne and John Mellencamp any day of the week.  Some of their material is unlistenable,  but for the most part it's all good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Bohemian bloody Rhapsody.

Yuck.

Sections
Shortcuts