Clive Davis (born on 04-APRIL-1932)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Clive Davis (born on 04-APRIL-1932)

Today is the birthday of Clive Davis, the legendary, high-profile record producer, most recently in the spotlight at the time of the untimely death of Whitney Houston.   He has a resume a mile or two in length, but something you may not know (and I just learned myself) is that he was left destitute as a young boy after the untimely deaths of both of his parents,  won a full scholarship to NYU, graduated with a magna c*m laude in 1953, and made Phi Beta Kappa.  He then received another full scholarship to Harvard Law School, graduating in 1956.  

This man was no academic slouch.  

He practiced law for several years, and was assigned as assistant counsel to Columbia Records, then general counsel, and as they say, the rest is history.

Don't know a thing about his personality and how cut-throat he was or if he made any well-known or infamous blunders over the years of his career, since he seems to have had a staggering number of successes.  

He arguably ranks as one of the all-time most prolific record producers in history.  Would you rank anyone higher, or are most of the other major record producers side by side?   Please remember, he signed Aerosmith.  :)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: Clive Davis (born on 04-APRIL-1932)

In Response to Re: Clive Davis (born on 04-APRIL-1932):
    [QUOTE]There is Clive . . . . . . and then there is everyone else
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

I had the unique opportunity to work with Clive Davis and BMG records a few times over the years. Your post is correct. He is one of the shrewdest men I have ever met. Not only does he understand what will work, but more importantly what won't. There are some artists he has helped develop that you just knew would be huge, Springsteen, Keyes, Santana, Franklin and of course Whitney. But it was the ones that made other record labels scared that set him, and Arista apart -- Patti Smith, Wu Tang Clan, O-Town, Outkast and Pink are good examples. His artists are very devoted to him because he is famous for treating each with the same amount of respect. In fact, in my few meetings with him, he was always very nice to me regardless of what was going on.

I became involved with BMG right around the time executives from the company's parent were trying to oust Davis as the head of Arista. I remember the outpouring of support that he had from the biggest stars on the label, to the smallest distributor. Most threatening to leave if he was replaced. He was, and it was a disaster, with many of the top stars following him out the door.  He founded a new label, J records, which really caught on, and when BMG found it's sales lagging, they came crawling with their tails between their legs and brought Davis back ---in a mostly honorary position, but one with some real bite, Chairman of RCA.  Later he became Chairman of Arista once again.

You see some people just can't be replaced.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clive Davis (born on 04-APRIL-1932) : I had the unique opportunity to work with Clive Davis and BMG records a few times over the years. Your post is correct. He is one of the shrewdest men I have ever met. Not only does he understand what will work, but more importantly what won't. 
    You see some people just can't be replaced.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Interesting commentary, especially considering the volatility and intensity of the music industry.  Sounds very memorable.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Clive is one non-musician who is equal in importance to the musicians themselves when it comes to RnR.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Clive Davis (born on 04-APRIL-1932) : You know I have played with Lenny Bernstein, as a TWEEN with Ben Britten, and some rather famous Jazz and Rockers.  But I've never met Clive. I think I hate you, and that is a compliment of the highest order :-)

I was about to write a post about Lenny Bernstein in the Fab Four thread a little while ago -- woah ... uncanny coincidence.

BUT, was going to say -- heard an interview with Leonard Bernstein's son, Alex, a while back, with his recollections of his father.  They had a nice relationship.

FANTASTIC interview.  Alex sounds like a very charismatic, engaging person in his own right, but being the son of *THE* Leonard Bernstein?!?!    I was riveted to the interview, that's all I can say. 

You're very lucky to have met him, don't hate you for it, though.  :)

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I sang under "Lenny's", baton, prior to singing his Chichester Psalms, for the World's Fair in 1982, Knoxville TN.  He LITERALLY left the podium, sat in front of us, and asked, "Is there a Jew in the room?" 5 hands went up.  Not enough.  So, he went on to explain the piece, and why he is spending SO much attention to (Hebrew) diction. I recall thinking, this is like having Beethoven explain the 9th. Wrong! It was SO much more. And then "Lenny" and I got so drunk we were arrested in Providence, RI, and let go, because he was FCKING LEONARD BERNSTEIN! You could just FEEL, the GENIUS, ooze.  Just remarkable.  He simply could not understand how his GENIUS couldn't explain what he was trying to say. It's as sad as it is, extraordinary.  He DIED, still asking, "why don't you get it?" Whoo
    This is a true visionary genius; by the time anyone "gets" him, he's light years ahead all over again; no one can ever catch up with someone like Bernstein.  So rare.  
    I would have loved to have been there when Bernstein presented his license as a form of ID upon arrest.  :)

Sections
Shortcuts