Clueless? Admit it, please.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Clueless? Admit it, please.

What are some of your clueless moments rock-music-wise?    

Cases of mistaken identity with regard to songs sung or written, nods within songs / albums you never got, or *anything* that you were clueless about for years (and years, perhaps) ...?  

When you were clued in, you began to bang your head on your keyboard, or on the wall or, maybe just laughed to yourself.    Know what I mean?  

Here's a recent one for me:

It's the 20th anniversary of Liz Phair's debut, seminal album, "Exile in Guyville"; I own a copy of the CD and while I don't listen to it nowadays, I'm very familiar with it.

There have been a number of articles and writeups of the album this past week, since it was released exactly 20 years ago.  In reading about the album ... 

I have been clueless that Phair's album was a response to "Exile on Main Street"  -- how could that have escaped me (or anyone for that matter)?    Totally clueless about this.    Feel like a bit of an idiot.   :)  

Anyone?   Please join me.   (and I have a few more ...)  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Clueless? Admit it, please.

I think my most notable instances of cluelessness involve not knowing who was doing the vocal on a particular song.  For example, it took quite some time to dawn on me that Lindsay Buckingham was doing lead vocals on Fleetwood Mac songs.  Apparently I thought it was Christie McVie in a strangely altered voice.  Yeesh.

Also I had no clue until recently that it was Roy Harper singing on Pink Floyd's 'Have A Cigar'.  I guess I thought it was Gilmour in a different-sounding voice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

This is truly embarrassing. I didn't know until fairly recently that Jack Bruce, and not Eric Clapton, was the lead singer in Cream.

But the greatest of all time comes from a girl I didn't even know. She was looking at albums in the mid-70s and saw Paul McCartney and Wings. "Wasn't he with another group?" she asked her friend? I thought she was kidding, but I soon came to realize she wasn't.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Beach-Spider's comment:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

What are some of your clueless moments rock-music-wise?

This is a 'clueless moment' for me

because I've never heard of Liz Phair.

(I suspect her target audience is/are females)

Never heard of Liz Phair?  OKAY.  :D  

Liz Phair is not a mainstream artist, and even when "Guyville" put her on the map, the album did not propel her to the top of the charts, so to speak.   She now has a mere 10,000 followers on Twitter (poor Liz :)  ) and is in a rather obscure musical position once again.    Her "target" audience?  Don't think she had one, actually; many of the articles about Phair that are circulating right now are by men.    Phair was popular during a time when there was a large crop of indie female and feminist artists (Tori Amos, Julianna Hatfield, etc. -- more you've probably never heard of ... sorry).

Enough about Phair -- the thread is about being clueless.   

You need to come up with your own instances of being clueless -- no fair mooching.  Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I think my most notable instances of cluelessness involve not knowing who was doing the vocal on a particular song.  For example, it took quite some time to dawn on me that Lindsay Buckingham was doing lead vocals on Fleetwood Mac songs.  Apparently I thought it was Christie McVie in a strangely altered voice.  Yeesh.

Good one.   That must have been about the time when there were many people in "altered states" --  but still.    I hold a bit of a grudge re: McVie, so I'm kind of gleeful you were clueless re: Buckingham.   :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

This is truly embarrassing. I didn't know until fairly recently that Jack Bruce, and not Eric Clapton, was the lead singer in Cream.

Lloyd, you are a very cool and confident man to admit to this here. Laughing

But the greatest of all time comes from a girl I didn't even know. She was looking at albums in the mid-70s and saw Paul McCartney and Wings. "Wasn't he with another group?" she asked her friend? I thought she was kidding, but I soon came to realize she wasn't.

Man, I am howling.   Hope she wasn't someone you had hoped to date ...  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Song lyrics......Creedance Clearwater...."there's a bathroom on the right!"  Wink

If not knowing everything about music makes one an idiot - then you have a lot of company yoga!

Remember when you chastised me about the Alabama Shakes? I'm still emotionally scarred by that!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

My first case of cluelessness was back in late 1964,early 65 when I had just turned 6 years old.I remember having an arguement with my parents about how many days there were in a week.They kept telling me it was 7 days but I was insistant that there were 8 because of the cool new song on the radio "8 days a week" by the Beatles.I figured if it was on the radio,it had to be true. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Man, I am howling.   Hope she wasn't someone you had hoped to date ...  

She was pretty cute, but that totally killed it. Worse than if she had been sucking on an opium pipe while strangling a kitten.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

This is a 'clueless moment' for me

because I've never heard of Liz Phair.

(I suspect her target audience is/are females)

Don't know if that's her target audience, but I've always dug her. Very talented and has a voice that can be soft or explosive. Damn good guitarist.

Especially love Whip-Smart, though I must say "Liz Phair" has the best cover.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

FYI: I prepare an honest response and you call me a 'mooch'?

Hola.   I honestly have no clue (speaking of clueless) if you are kidding here or not.  I thought you were being light-hearted in your first post.   I obviously failed at my humor back.  :(   (see Roger Taylor for more details on failed humor ... )   It happens.  NBD.  Sorry if I offended you.  

Ciao.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Song lyrics......Creedance Clearwater...."there's a bathroom on the right!"  Wink

If not knowing everything about music makes one an idiot - then you have a lot of company yoga!

Remember when you chastised me about the Alabama Shakes? I'm still emotionally scarred by that!

Roger, looks like my "failed humor" lives on.  Since you have quite a history with failed humor, too, we'll have to see who wins this competition.    Laughing

I don't feel like an idiot often, just once in a while.   Wink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

For mis-heard song lyrics:

The first few times I heard Alice Cooper's 'Elected', I thought he was saying: 'I wanna be yer lady'.

Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Misheard lyrics:

Elton John's Bennie annd the Jets: "She's got electric boobs."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

BTW, I should come clean: I didn't know Eric Clapton was English until ... ?  (not quite sure what year); I had always thought he was American.    

As many of you know, I thought the Byrds were English, until Zilla set me straight.  Thought Radiohead was American (not for years on end, like the Byrds), but for a "little" while.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

My first case of cluelessness was back in late 1964,early 65 when I had just turned 6 years old.I remember having an arguement with my parents about how many days there were in a week.They kept telling me it was 7 days but I was insistant that there were 8 because of the cool new song on the radio "8 days a week" by the Beatles.I figured if it was on the radio,it had to be true. 

Cute story.  Good point for a child of 6, too.    (and not entirely clueless, in my book)  ;)  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Misheard lyrics:

Elton John's Bennie annd the Jets: "She's got electric boobs."

Way too funny! and a great laugh - Thank you!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

For mis-heard song lyrics:

The first few times I heard Alice Cooper's 'Elected', I thought he was saying: 'I wanna be yer lady'.

Laughing

I was on a 100%, slam dunk, sure thing around 1986 with a girl I'd met that night at Spit that lived in Cambridge.  Really cute.  Then she started singing along to the song "Skin Deep" by the Stranglers, but sang "Better watch out for the string bean" and I could not stop laughing...until I was told to leave, then I could not stop crying.  Until the next night at Spit.  ;-)

Sections
Shortcuts