Coachella 2013: Registration is open

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Coachella 2013: Registration is open

Coachella registration opened as of today, 1/29; as we have discussed, festivals of this size and magnitude are not for everyone.   The number of bands is dizzying.   

The cost is going up and there are a number of price packages depending on parking, camping and other options.  

I don't know if the lineup is as top drawer as previous years, but it's always fun to view the roster; if you're interested, check it out.

Sampling of bands (INPO):

Blur
    Stone Roses
    Lou Reed
    Beach House :)
    Johnny Marr
    Sigur Ros
    New Order
    the XX
    RHCP
    Lumineers
    Dinosaur Jr.
    Social Distortion, Rodriguez, Moby, Violent Femmes ... and hundreds more ....

NOTE: there's a poster where you can see the entire lineup for each day / weekend; recommend that you just click on the poster.   The festival takes place over two full weekends.

http://www.coachella.com/index.php

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Coachella 2013: Registration is open

THIS JUST IN: Weekend 1 is SOLD OUT.

(well, that's a non-decision now, eh?)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

New Order is quite the coup, it seems.  I read they were only doing a handful of dates in the U.S.

Along with Marr, Stone Roses and the xx, it's like brit pop fest...

...california's own version of knebworth or reading, or is it just me...?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Given this lineup, how good would a Smith's reunion be here.  Indio is a great venue, went last year and had a blast. Sort of like being in a music toy store. I highly reccomend this festival. There is a ton of stuff to do, all of which is not music related. Much of it is art, and artist related, showcasing their works, and giving classes, and demonstrations. The people for the most part are really laid back, and friendly. The stages are pretty close together, so that you have a good idea of who is playing and when, one downside is that there are too many acts and not enough time to see everyone and the main stage at night gets really crowded.  Bring an appetite as well, the food court is good, though pricey.  Camping is the best(cheapest) option, and a great way to enjoy the festival and meet artists.

Now for great band names: Beach House, Dead Can Dance and Cloud Nothings..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Id like to see Lou Reed, Social D, New Order, Dinosaur Jr, Stone Roses, Beach House and XX.. Johnny Marr would be entertianing as well. Im just too old to be standing around for hours on end..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to leafswin27's comment:

Id like to see Lou Reed, Social D, New Order, Dinosaur Jr, Stone Roses, Beach House and XX.. Johnny Marr would be entertianing as well. Im just too old to be standing around for hours on end..

I'm with you there.  I'm fine with a couple of hours at a normal show, but that's it.

The missus and I prefer the festivals/shows where chairs and/or blankets are allowed, and we sit a little back from the main fray.  The people-watching is often worth the admission alone.

My musical tastes may be somewhat younger than my age, but there's no need to act like it, IMO.  And most of the time, when it's a newer band, I get more "hey, cool" looks than "hey, what are you doing here, the tull show is next week" looks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I only put a fraction of the bands in my post.  There are dozens, if not hundreds more.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

I'm with you there.  I'm fine with a couple of hours at a normal show, but that's it.

The missus and I prefer the festivals/shows where chairs and/or blankets are allowed, and we sit a little back from the main fray.  The people-watching is often worth the admission alone.

My musical tastes may be somewhat younger than my age, but there's no need to act like it, IMO.  And most of the time, when it's a newer band, I get more "hey, cool" looks than "hey, what are you doing here, the tull show is next week" looks.

The older I get, the more my music tastes have evolved. I am a lot more open-minded than I was at 21.  One of the things I like about these festivals is that you meet people from all over the world, all  different ages, and hear all kinds of music. You see that your not that far apart at all.  I find myself listening to bands I wouldn't have back then. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

oh gee.

It isn't easy to plan a schedule for a festival like this so that you're not standing around for hours on end waiting for the bands you want to see.    As was the case of even the LIG festival, no chairs were allowed this year, due to trading off increased registration b/c of popular demand, for ground space.   It was still possible to sit on the ground, though, in strategic spots away from the stages.   

A friend of mine attended Lollapalooza last year and had no regrets at all, but for someone who normally goes with the flow and is reasonably calm and laid back, she said the crowds made her anxious at times and at one point, she told her husband that she had to get out of the space they were in (she freaked).   

Living in the area would help ... not as big of a $$$ investment for the airfare.    

The lineup is formidable, though (as is the whole event).  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

SOLD OUT.

The issue of attending, being too old, being too tired, being too whatever, is now moot.  

Not sure how many hours the tickets were available in total; as mentioned in my OP, the tickets went on sale yesterday, so it's safe to say that if you want(ed) a ticket to this festival, you would have had to have had it on your radar a long time ago.   I don't think anyone would argue with the idea that the lineup had rare, if not possibly "once in a lifetime" written all over it, at least in the USA.  

Sorry if you're bummed.  Polar experienced it last year, the lucky son of a gun.  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

SOLD OUT.

The issue of attending, being too old, being too tired, being too whatever, is now moot.  

Not sure how many hours the tickets were available in total; as mentioned in my OP, the tickets went on sale yesterday, so it's safe to say that if you want(ed) a ticket to this festival, you would have had to have had it on your radar a long time ago.   I don't think anyone would argue with the idea that the lineup had rare, if not possibly "once in a lifetime" written all over it, at least in the USA.  

Sorry if you're bummed.  Polar experienced it last year, the lucky son of a gun.  :)

Yikes!  Nothing like having one's mind made up for them, huh...??  :P

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

SOLD OUT.

Yikes!  Nothing like having one's mind made up for them, huh...??  :P

This is just the trend we've talked about in action, once again: the popularity of festivals and the speed at which they are selling out.

In the time it took for me to create this thread and post the link, the first weekend had sold out.   I saw the SOLD OUT sign immediately following my post; I thought that I had posted the 2012 link and took a doubletake to see that it was, indeed, real time.  

Again, they're not for everyone, but for those that are suited to this type of venue,  the cost-effectiveness and opportunity to see bands that you will rarely, if ever, get to see (bands, for instance, that seem to appear almost exclusively at festivals), and thinking of the time in an overall sense, as being on vacation.

Saw this on a website reporting on the sold out status:

"Nothing encapsulates soul-crushing disappointment better than trying to buy tickets to a sold out music festival. That's probably what hundreds (thousands?) of near hysterical indie rock fans were feeling when they logged on to Coachella's ticketing website and were told the system had crashed. 

Spin (via the LA Times) reports that tickets for the first weekend of the festival sold out in less than 15 minutes after being released on Tuesday. The first set of dates (April 12) proved far more popular than the April 19 weekend and heavy traffic on Coachella's provider site (Front Gate) beget a series of system glitches that left many hopefuls ticket-less and prone to posting their sadness on Facebook.

Imagine your whole world was veiled in dark terror--like Middle Earth circa Lord of the Rings--with no end in sight. Nothing will ever be beautiful again, you think. Or, as one world-weary Facebook user poetized: "Coachella ur so lame now! Well u've been lame for years but now it's official!!! Soon everyone will realize this too." Coachella: watch ur back.

As of this date, all festival passes are sold out, save for the more expensive Lake Eldorado VIP package, which will set you back a cool $3,000-5,000."

Okay, so it's not *really* sold out.  :P     Maybe next year ... 

Sections
Shortcuts