Coachella 2014 - SOLD OUT

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Coachella 2014 - SOLD OUT

It's not absolutely sold out, actually.   You can still get the $2900.00 tkts.  :P

Absurd, isn't it?  I saw that Coachella had announced their lineup in an article last Friday, the day the ticket passes went on sale.   In checking the actual website today, I saw that it was sold out. 

The lineup doesn't have any particular character to it, as you all know by now.   The MAIN (as in headliners) acts are: Outkast , Muse, and Arcade Fire.    Are you still awake?  :D

The only way you can see the lineup by day / weekend, is to look at the poster on the website, so if you're interested:

http://www.coachella.com/

From what I can see of the lineup, and knowing the forum pretty well by now, the only band that anyone here would truly go out of their way to see, and would consider a special opportunity, is the Replacements.   

I'll post a thread on the article I read later or tomorrow.  It's an interesting take on the festival 'bubble' that by no means has burst, but may be slowly deflating (not that you'd know it when you see how fast the name brand festivals still sell out).  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Coachella 2014 - SOLD OUT

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not absolutely sold out, actually.   You can still get the $2900.00 tkts.  :P

Absurd, isn't it?  I saw that Coachella had announced their lineup in an article last Friday, the day the ticket passes went on sale.   In checking the actual website today, I saw that it was sold out. 

The lineup doesn't have any particular character to it, as you all know by now.   The MAIN (as in headliners) acts are: Outkast , Muse, and Arcade Fire.    Are you still awake?  :D

The only way you can see the lineup by day / weekend, is to look at the poster on the website, so if you're interested:

From what I can see of the lineup, and knowing the forum pretty well by now, the only band that anyone here would truly go out of their way to see, and would consider a special opportunity, is the Replacements.   

I'll post a thread on the article I read later or tomorrow.  It's an interesting take on the festival 'bubble' that by no means has burst, but may be slowly deflating (not that you'd know it when you see how fast the name brand festivals still sell out).  

[/QUOTE]

Interesting.  I've been curious myself as to when the saturation point will be reached and breached.

I've been of the opinion that the real big festivals like Bonnaroo and Coachella are already there if not past...

...and the result has been the flourishing of much smaller, more regional festivals that are more narrowly targeted at certain fans or offer something different or more intimate (LIG).  Indeed, some artist-centric festivals are doing just fine year-over-year by keeping things simple. (MoeDown, Camp Bisco)

Ironic too, as I was just talking to a buddy about Mountain Jam and Gathering of the Vibes last night. :P

One positive trend I've noticed is the increase in viable outdoor venues everywhere and the bigger names they seem to attract every year.

And No, it's never too early to talk about the summer concert season (esp. here in NE)...!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I'n not surprised that it is already sold out. Indio is a great venue, and this years lineup, while not as good as it has been, isn't bad. Muse is a good live band, and a re-united Replacments would be a lot fun. Never seen the Pet Shop Boys live either. A bit of everything, for everyone. That being said, ticket prices for these festivals are getting very expensive and imo threaten to price out the average consumer.

One of my favorities festivals is Pickathon, in Portland, Oregon. Three days of the best bluegrass, indie-rock, and country music by artists you've bearly heard of. This year for some reason, the organizors felt the need to add a big name to the bill Fiest. This increased ticket prices from $150 to $260, which in turn priced many of the regulars out, and caused what i think was a mini backlash,with smaller crowds attending this event than in the past.

Folks attending the event called it the "Coachella effect."  No question that the festival landscape is getting quite saturated,  and while the big names continue to thrive, it is the smaller venues like Pickathon, who have have some tough choices to remain relevent.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'n not surprised that it is already sold out. Indio is a great venue, and this years lineup, while not as good as it has been, isn't bad. Muse is a good live band, and a re-united Replacments would be a lot fun. Never seen the Pet Shop Boys live either. A bit of everything, for everyone. That being said, ticket prices for these festivals are getting very expensive and imo threaten to price out the average consumer.

One of my favorities festivals is Pickathon, in Portland, Oregon. Three days of the best bluegrass, indie-rock, and country music by artists you've bearly heard of. This year for some reason, the organizors felt the need to add a big name to the bill Fiest. This increased ticket prices from $150 to $260, which in turn priced many of the regulars out, and caused what i think was a mini backlash,with smaller crowds attending this event than in the past.

Folks attending the event called it the "Coachella effect."  No question that the festival landscape is getting quite saturated,  and while the big names continue to thrive, it is the smaller venues like Pickathon, who have have some tough choices to remain relevent.

[/QUOTE]
    I'll post re: the article I read in another thread.   

The idea isn't that it's a surprise that these festivals are still selling out, in fact, it's very predictable that they will sell out;  it has more to do with the shift in the original intent of festivals -- which, granted, are going to evolve just like any other trend -- but that also means that attending a festival doesn't have the same meaning it once had. 

Selling out can also be seen as a matter of branding, too.  Just "the place to be" for some people ... lemmings?  :)  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to polar123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I'll post re: the article I read in another thread.   

The idea isn't that it's a surprise that these festivals are still selling out, in fact, it's very predictable that they will sell out;  it has more to do with the shift in the original intent of festivals -- which, granted, are going to evolve just like any other trend -- but that also means that attending a festival doesn't have the same meaning it once had. 

Selling out can also be seen as a matter of branding, too.  Just "the place to be" for some people ... lemmings?  :)  

[/QUOTE]

I've read similar notions to that effect about Burning Man, which seems to have become more of a cliche as it's grown.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

Cool that Outkast are performing together again. Really one of the best hip hop duos of all time, and one of the best Southern hip hop artists. I see that they are touring after Coachella. I wonder if they will be recording another album together.

Sections
Shortcuts