1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Concept Albums

Some of my all-time favorite albums are concept albums.  At the top:

The Who - Quadrophenia
    ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
    Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Here are a few of my faves - leaving aside for today obvious classics from Floyd, Bowie, Kinks, Genesis, etc.:

Queensryche - "Operation: Mindcrime" - one of my all-time favorite metal albums and, to me, one of the best in terms of ambition, musical chops, storyline and production quality...so well-done that it may be the one concept album I tend use as comparison.  And it still sounds good to this day unlike much of that era.

Green Day - "American Idiot" - Maybe the last band anyone to be expected to put out a concept album, this LP kicks off strong and really doesn't let up throughout the whole piece.  No surprise it was adapted for broadway, but overall it's the strongest set of songs GD has ever put out. Nothing feels out of place and the "Jesus Of Suburbia" suite is perfect.

Weezer - "Pinkerton" - clocking in at about 35 minutes, this is still my favorite Weezer album, and though it might be considered overhyped, I think it's a true modern classic; yet each song is brilliant, artful and passionate to the extreme.  Some call it power pop, but to me it's just one of the best garage albums ever made.

Tool - "Aenima" - a masterful record from beginning-to-end, this one is just so dense and layered with the ability to be both subtle and in-your-face; this is progressive, literate metal at its finest and one of the best overall albums of the 90s - like a great movie or book, I notice something new every time I listen to it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i've never let myself get into american idiot as a whole. green day was so important to me when i was little, the first tape that i ever got was dookie...i heard some songs on the radio and just felt like they were musically discouraging. i do understand why it was so popular with the younger kids of today though.

aenima is awesome.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThinkSnow99. Show ThinkSnow99's posts

Radio Kaos.....Roger Waters
    Electric Ladyland...Jimi Hendrix
    The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway....Genesis

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

For relatively recent albums, Green Day's American Idiot was the first to come to mind, but Matty beat me to it.  Next on my list would be Joe Jackson's Heaven and H*ll.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The Forgotten Arm - Aimee Mann

relationship / story of a couple who run away together to escape their problems (of course, they can't really escape, they just bring their problems with them) -- he's a boxer and a Viet Nam vet who has alcohol and drug addiction issues. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Well , to me, the masters of concept albums were Pink Floyd.

Disregarding 'Dark Side of the Moon' which was mentioned in the O.P., 'Animals', 'Wish You Were Here' and 'The Wall' are some of the very best.

Styx and Alan Parsons Project also were near the top with this type of album.

Two albums that come to mind are ,'I , Robot' by Alan Parsons Project and 'Kilroy Was Here' by Styx.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Can we have a little love for Tommy ?

Operation Mindcrime - Queensryche. Very good call Matty

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: Concept Albums:
    [QUOTE]Can we have a little love for Tommy ? Operation Mindcrime - Queensryche. Very good call Matty
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

<tommy3

wanted to keep the number to 4 that i referenced in the o.p. but clearly tommy goes without saying

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Roger Waters' Amused to Death is pretty good too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

"Days of Future Passed," Moody Blues

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Marilyn Manson -Antichrist Superstar

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Roger Water Radio Kaos was really good,
    Warren Zevon Transverse City was not bad.

Any Pink Floyd with Waters is worth the time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

The Who - The Who Sell Out The Who's first attempt at a concept LP and without it there would never been Tommy.  IMHO it's just OK, but I believe it's in the top 100 (or close to it) according to Rolling Stone's top 500 of all time

The Kinks dropped quite a few LP from the mid 60s through the late 70s which could be considered conceptual.  I think some standouts are The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society and Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire) and Schoolboys In Disgrace

Jethro Tull - Aqualung Yeah this one was pretty good

But to me the best ever was Quadrophenia

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I probably won't get too many takers on this one, but I thought the Eagles' Desperado was an excellent concept album.  This was before they got heavier and more commercial and when Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon were still integral parts of the band.  It's a loosely connected song sequence about outlaws and the Old West.  Very diverse musically with banjo and mandolin featured on some songs and a couple of hard rockers in Out of Control and the trippy Outlaw Man.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i've never been a big eagles guy, but maybe just for lack of exposure...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I probably won't get too many takers on this one, but I thought the Eagles' Desperado was an excellent concept album.  This was before they got heavier and more commercial and when Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon were still integral parts of the band.  It's a loosely connected song sequence about outlaws and the Old West.  Very diverse musically with banjo and mandolin featured on some songs and a couple of hard rockers in Out of Control and the trippy Outlaw Man.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

"Desperado" , is easily my favorite Eagles LP. "On the Border" and Hotel California are probably tied for second.

Great concept album by a group that doesn't usually go in for this type thing. The Eagles are often remembered for specific songs but none of their albums ever was a dud. Don Henley and Glenn Frey released some nice solo work after the original break up. Always a big fan of Joe Walsh, his solo work reflects a nutty sense of humor that is right down my alley and "Walk Away", which he did as a member of the James Gang rates as one of my all time favorites.

I am wondering if Lou Reed's terrific LP ,'New York' is considered a concept album, it seems to have that feel about it...anyone else think so?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" -- Lauryn Hill

I have to throw this into the mix here, as I have this cd, strangely enough as I am a  honk-y. :) It's part autobiographical, industry injustices commentary (her experiences), she directly disses her former Fugee bandmates, sexism, and also has some spiritual overtones.  It appears her experience in the recording industry was pretty negative, as she disappeared for many years and has recently attempted a comeback.

Speaking of dissing, I read that Hill was over three hours late for one of her return concerts; not sure what that says about her ... but "Miseducation" as a concept album was epic. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yeah, you're right.

and throw jagged little pill in there too

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Concept Albums :  I am wondering if Lou Reed's terrific LP ,'New York' is considered a concept album, it seems to have that feel about it...anyone else think so?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

It's possible, though it might depend who you ask.  Many of Reed's (solo or not) albums could be termed as "concepts" but it's hard to tell with such a wide-ranging, literate artist - he's almost uncategorizable.

New York is such a great disc, at any rate... one of his very best solo records that still holds up well today.  Every song is solid, unapologetic rock n roll.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]yeah, you're right. and throw jagged little pill in there too
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    Not sure "Jagged Little Pill" follows suit as a concept album as much as it follows a theme.  

I think if we were going to follow suit with albums with themes, we'd be coming up with many more albums than we have thus far.  Perhaps we are being too pure in the definition of concept albums?

"Miseducation" is in a different class altogether.  IMHO, of course. 
    Smile

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Joe's Garage, Act I.

Frank Zappa

Joe's Garage, Act I.

The concept: A rock musician is damned for the music he makes in a world where all forms of music are soon to be totally illegal.

Hemispheres

Rush

Hemispheres

(Only the first half of the album is conceptual).

The concept: Continuing the story of Cygnus from "A Farewell To Kings." A space explorer has been drawn into a black hole (Cygnus X-1), only to find himself in a mysterious land, where its rival inhabitants are engaged in civil war.

The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society

The Kinks

The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society

The concept: A homage to English rural life and, by extension, to the innocence and idealisation of past times and people.

The Downward Spiral

Nine Inch Nails

The Downward Spiral
    The concept: A chronicle of a person's slow, painful descent into madness and possibly beyond.

Thick as a Brick

Jethro Tull

Thick as a Brick
    The concept: A parable about modern life and society and how we are influenced by it, as told through the eyes of a young boy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Concept Albums : Not sure "Jagged Little Pill" follows suit as a concept album as much as it follows a theme.   I think if we were going to follow suit with albums with themes, we'd be coming up with many more albums than we have thus far.  Perhaps we are being too pure in the definition of concept albums? "Miseducation" is in a different class altogether.  IMHO, of course. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

i dunno, i think that would fall in the vein. if someone could get a real definition of concept album that would be nice...theme can be easily misconstrued as a concept album. it's a story, but it's her own story...this is where the gray area exists.

clarification please!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Concept Albums : i dunno, i think that would fall in the vein. if someone could get a real definition of concept album that would be nice...theme can be easily misconstrued as a concept album. it's a story, but it's her own story...this is where the gray area exists. clarification please!
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    It's your thread.   IMHO, the definition is fluid.   You set the tone and definition of the thread yourself, and everyone followed suit.  Then you brought up JLP, and it doesn't follow suit, so I questioned it. 

I didn't mean to debate you, necessarily. :)   JLP is not her story; one of the songs had a "mystery man" (a la "You're so Vain"), but the album is not her story.  It's angst/ female empowerment / standard male bashing as a theme, and she's a woman, so from that standpoint, it's an album any female artist could have written who wanted to get that theme across.  Concept albums are not necessarily autobiographical by any means, as you know, but JLP is neither autobiographical nor does it tell a story.  So there you go.

Any of the songs in JLP can be taken out of context.  In all the other instances, they are part of a whole.  But hey, if you consider JLP a concept album, be my guest.  However, if we were taking a class, debating this issue, I think I would win based on the way you set up the thread in the first place, if for no other reason.  IMHO, of course. 
    Laughing

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]    Frank Zappa Joe's Garage, Act I. The concept: A rock musician is damned for the music he makes in a world where all forms of music are soon to be totally illegal.       Rush Hemispheres (Only the first half of the album is conceptual). The concept: Continuing the story of Cygnus from "A Farewell To Kings." A space explorer has been drawn into a black hole (Cygnus X-1), only to find himself in a mysterious land, where its rival inhabitants are engaged in civil war.       The Kinks The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society The concept: A homage to English rural life and, by extension, to the innocence and idealisation of past times and people.                                       Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral The concept: A chronicle of a person's slow, painful descent into madness and possibly beyond.         Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick The concept: A parable about modern life and society and how we are influenced by it, as told through the eyes of a young boy.
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]
    Nice job, Newman.  
    I really find this interesting.  Can you tell? 

Smile

Sections
Shortcuts