Concept Albums

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Re: Concept Albums

In Response to Re: Concept Albums:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Concept Albums : Nice job, Newman.   I really find this interesting.  Can you tell? 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I was trying to think of others not named, and I couldn't. So, a quick search with a little cut and paste...and there you go.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Did you like "Jagged Little Pill"?  I started off liking and listening it a lot, but after some time if found it too depressing and found I didn't really enjoy it anymore.  And I am not someone who has to listen to sunny happy music all the time.  I like "Downward Spiral" and music by the Smiths,  I just though that Alanis was Pissed and way too down because of it. 

This time of year if I want to get depressed I just have to look out my window.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Concept Albums : It's your thread.   IMHO, the definition is fluid.   You set the tone and definition of the thread yourself, and everyone followed suit.  Then you brought up JLP, and it doesn't follow suit, so I questioned it.  I didn't mean to debate you, necessarily. :)   JLP is not her story; one of the songs had a "mystery man" (a la "You're so Vain"), but the album is not her story.  It's angst/ female empowerment / standard male bashing as a theme, and she's a woman, so from that standpoint, it's an album any female artist could have written who wanted to get that theme across.  Concept albums are not necessarily autobiographical by any means, as you know, but JLP is neither autobiographical nor does it tell a story.  So there you go. Any of the songs in JLP can be taken out of context.  In all the other instances, they are part of a whole.  But hey, if you consider JLP a concept album, be my guest.  However, if we were taking a class, debating this issue, I think I would win based on the way you set up the thread in the first place, if for no other reason.  IMHO, of course. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

yeah, you're right. it's more of an overall feeling rather than a cohesive album from start to finish.

i do have a soft spot for alanis though, as well as ms. hill...even though she hates me :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Did you like "Jagged Little Pill"?  I started off liking and listening it a lot, but after some time if found it too depressing and found I didn't really enjoy it anymore.  And I am not someone who has to listen to sunny happy music all the time.  I like "Downward Spiral" and music by the Smiths,  I just though that Alanis was Pissed and way too down because of it.  This time of year if I want to get depressed I just have to look out my window.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.  I am not part of the militant feminazi subculture.   I don't mind a good girl / sisterhood survival song, or a breakup song that does some good solid bashing, but those songs are for a purpose, not for general listening pleasure - ha ha.  Does get tiresome.   Then again, like you say, I don't need "sunny happy" all the time either and sunny happy people kind of wear on my nerves after a while, too.  ;)

We should meet at the Job Lot in Bourne some time, you know the one at the rotary?  I could help you pick out a few gifts for the wife and kids.   The food in that place usually has an expiration date of over a year.  Do you think that's a problem?  Laughing

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I try not to think of it as being "expired", I find it's better to think that's it's beginning to ferment.

You know the glass half empty, half full thing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

hahaha. gnarly.