Concert DVD's do you........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Concert DVD's do you........

Own any? Why not?

Which do you like best? Worst?

I have number of them and enjoy the 5.1 surround sound - Fleetwood Mac "The Dance" and The Eagles "Down Under" - the sound quality is unreal!

Any suggestions as to what to get? What not to get?

NOTE: If anyone has any release info regarding the doc about MORHINE being released on DVD let me know - Thanx

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Concert DVD's do you........

I own a pile of them.  There are some I haven't even watched yet.  Here are some of my favorites:

Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's
    Blue Oyster Cult - A Long Day's Night
    Collective Soul - Home
    Deep Purple - Scandinavian Nights (1972)
    Led Zep - DVD
    Pink Floyd - Pulse
    Queen - Live on Fire
    Simon and Garfunkel - Central Park
    Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
    Robin Trower - Living Out of Time
    The Who - Royal Albert Hall (2000) 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I had a bootleg one of Huker Du from 1986 that was great. I lent it to someone and it disappeared.. Other than that I was given the Cure Trilogy live video. I watched it once but never think to watch again..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Fredddie Mercury Tribute Concert

Concert for George Harrison

and of course

The Last Waltz

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Deep Purple - Scandinavian Nights (1972)

-----------------

That is a frustrating one.  I really don't want to watch the back of Gillan's head playing the harmonica while Blackmore is tearing the building apart with his Strat.  Found myself constantly yelling at the screen and pointing, "He's over THERE!"

Yes, the camera work is awful.  A bootleg of some sort.  Still, it's nice to have some video of vintage Purple.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I don't collect DVDs, and never collected videos, either.  Nothing against them, just not my thing.  The only ones I own were given to me as gifts.   

Have a few bootlegs as well.  

The only set of DVDs I have ever purchased was for one of my favorite TV series of all time, that meant the world to me a few years ago (a chick TV show for sure .... and most of you would never have heard of it anyhow, so I'll keep the title to myself). hahah.    That's one set I'm glad I own.   

I prefer to own the audio / CD of live performances, as that fits better with my lifestyle, and the way I get more use.  

Some of you have nice collections, though.  :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

Good afternoon,

I like Ladies & Gentlemen - The Rolling Stones

Stop Making Sense

Pulse and the Led Zeppelin DVD, along with some old AC/DC concert with Bon Scott at a smaller venue where everybody is sitting besides so guy dressed as Angus

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I have about 4 or 5. Led Zeppelin, Clapton, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix ....I think there may be one or two that I am forgetting.

Jimi Hendrix performance at Woodstock is easily my favorite. The video has been cleaned up and the color is great. You watch this amd you can really believe you are back in 1969. The camera work is way ahead of it's time. These guys who filmed it may have been a bunch of hippies, but they knew how to get good footage and sound. I agree the Deep Purple DVD is a little rough, but they do apologize on the DVD case , saying that in 1972 filming rock bands on stage was a relatively new field.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Sometimes the DVD audio is better than the CD.

Led Zep's "HTWWW" is a good example.

A few more I like:

Santana in South America

Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live

Floyd - Live in Pompeii, The Wall

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

@Matty,

Speaking of live ... I took your advice re: Dave and Tim at Radio City (luckily, before the format change debacle, I had bookmarked a few on youtube, and didn't lose track of the information)  and have listened to random songs from the concert  -- all really nice; liked them all.     Sent links to my friend, too.   I'm sure Dave fans will be out in force, and I'll get to see the phenom for myself, up close and personal.   Sunday and Two-Day Passes are SOLD OUT.   Hope you (and all of us) have a great time.   Thanks again for the recs.   :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

@Matty,

Speaking of live ... I took your advice re: Dave and Tim at Radio City (luckily, before the format change debacle, I had bookmarked a few on youtube, and didn't lose track of the information)  and have listened to random songs from the concert  -- all really nice; liked them all.     Sent links to my friend, too.   I'm sure Dave fans will be out in force, and I'll get to see the phenom for myself, up close and personal.   Sunday and Two-Day Passes are SOLD OUT.   Hope you (and all of us) have a great time.   Thanks again for the recs.   :)

Sweet!!  Looking forward to it...especially with the advent of the new songs, which are slowly growing on me.  I looked at the schedule for Sunday, and D&T are playing a full set...2+ hours...!   (The organizers had to disallow chairs to make room for the crowd.)

Songs I'll be looking for: Old Dirt Hill, Gaucho, The Maker, Out Of My Hands, Save Me

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Got "It Might Get Loud" on Blu Ray.....The Edge, Jack White and Jimmy Page  talk music and jam..Jack White makes a guitar out of an fence post or shovel handle....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

My 2 favorite concert DVDs are Woodstock and the Rolling Stones "Circus of the Stars".

I also have watched a bootleg Stones DVD whose name I can't say here,it would definitely be censored (CS Blues).It was an honest look at the 1972 Stones tour of America complete with all the drugs,nudity and sex.A lot of people would probably find it pretty offensive,I see it as" it is what it is".The whole movie is aviable on youtube if you're interested in seeing it.

WDYWN,I thought you'd be interested in a 2 DVD set for J. Geils called "Boston Shuffle 1979-1999".It's available on the internet.I've seen it for about $18.00 new.Here's a description:

"This is a super rare compilation of the bad boys from Boston with many concert clips, rare videos, and a spectacular reunion show, live in New York, 7/11/99. Picture quality and sound range from decent to very good. This is the only known professionally recorded footage this extensive.Quality rating varies runs from 7.5/10 to 8/10"

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I know,I saw it 30 seconds after I posted.I sure do miss the edit feature.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Add: The T.A.M.I. Show (1964)

An absolutely pivotal, must-own document of our pop music culture. Indispensable, which is why I only almost regret giving my copy to my globe-trekking nephew.

James Brown, The Stones, Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, Marvin Gaye, Supremes, Jan and Dean, etc...

...worth getting for Brown's mesmerizing performance alone. 

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts