Confessions about Beatles songs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Confessions about Beatles songs

There is recent evidence around here that there is unrest about Beatles songs.  :)

It's time to come forward and make a confession.  There are Beatles songs that you dislike.  You can't stand these songs, you might even haaaate them by now, either from over-play or perhaps you never liked them in the first place. 

You will have to risk getting kicked out of this forum, but if you're willing to do so:

What are your top 5 picks for WORST Beatles songs?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Confessions about Beatles songs

Personally I think there's quite a bit of dreck on the White Album and Let It Be.  So here goes:

I Will
    Honey Pie
    Revolution 9
    I Me Mine
    For You Blue

I may have included Revolution 9 just to irritate Jessey, I'm not sure...Smile 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

blue jay way
    for you blue
    yer blues
    the ballad of john and yoko
    the long and winding road

i just realized that the first three have blue in the title. interesting? i think so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

My complaint is the unevenness if their albums.  It's OK to want to include both Paul and John's songs on the album, but I think it would have made their albums better if they had been on the same page with regard to theme.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

INPO

Revolution 9
    Yellow Submarine
    Don't Pass Me By
    Blue Jay Away
    Only A Northern Song

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

There is  no doubt that the Beatles had their list of cr*p. Although I am surprised that songs like Yer Blues and Blue Jay Way made some lists. For me:

Michelle (Rubber Soul)
    Till There Was You (Meet the Beatles)
    Can't Buy Me Love (Overplayed)
    Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (White Album)
    Misery

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The one thing the Beatles were not and that is perfect.  DWl thinks that some of their albums were uneven - fair thought for sure.

I am grateful that the Beatles weren't perfect. It gives me hope that some day, one day, a band will come along that will surpass what the Beatles did. It might not be in my lifetime, but just perhaps after I have long been worm food that generation after generation will be talking about some band that was so amazing that it is beyond comprehension. Music and RnR will survive.

It is over 40 years since the Beatles broke up and yet every band to come since has yet to touch the hearts and minds of so many, like they did. Every band has tried and not one has yet to match them. Amazing!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

yer blues just never really registered with me...i am all about blues, but the beatles are not a blues band, no matter how tortured john was.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i was not counting anything pre-rubber soul either...that isn't in nearly the same caliber IMHO and i don't really listen to it that much. certain songs were phenomenal, and the harmonies unmatched, but it was dance music, and i even think most of the songs that i listed in my bottom 5 are better than the vast majority of those early tunes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Randomly listed:

Yellow Submarine
    Eleanor Rigby<-------------REMOVED
    Here, There and Everywhere
    Strawberry Fields Forever <----REMOVED
    The Long and Winding Road

NOTE: I have removed ER and SFF from my list; please see my "mea culpa" post on p. 2.  Thank you. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Confessions about Beatles songs:
    The one thing the Beatles were not and that is perfect.  DWl thinks that some of their albums were uneven - fair thought for sure. I am grateful that the Beatles weren't perfect. It gives me hope that some day, one day, a band will come along that will surpass what the Beatles did. It might not be in my lifetime, but just perhaps after I have long been worm food that generation after generation will be talking about some band that was so amazing that it is beyond comprehension. Music and RnR will survive. It is over 40 years since the Beatles broke up and yet every band to come since has yet to touch the hearts and minds of so many, like they did. Every band has tried and not one has yet to match them. Amazing!
    Posted by jesseyeric

You are a Beatles fan like no other and it's a joy to read what you have to say about them. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Eleanor Rigby  Strawberry Fields Forever Posted by yogafriend

GASP!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Confessions about Beatles Eleanor Rigby  Strawberry Fields Forever Posted by yogafriend
    (GASP!)
    Posted by phsmith8

I knew I'd get bashed.  I just knew it!

I hope (as a Beatles historian) you can forgive me.  :)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I"M MELTING

Et tu Jessey

There is  no doubt that the Beatles had thier list of cr*p. Although I am surprised that songs like Yer Blues and Blue Jay Way made some lists. For me: Michelle (Rubber Soul) Till There Was You (Meet the Beatles) Can't Buy Me Love (Overplayed) Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (White Album) Misery
    Posted by jesseyeric

Can't help but notice all your cr*p list are Paul songs

And I'll give you Ob-La-Di with out any arguement.

Strawberry Fields Forever Posted by yogafriend

Blasphemy

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Randomly listed: Yellow Submarine Eleanor Rigby Here, There and Everywhere Strawberry Fields Forever The Long and Winding Road
    Posted by yogafriend

Eleanor Rigby and Strawberry Fields Forever...say it isn't so.  (Consider this a very friendly bash.)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Randomly listed: Yellow Submarine Eleanor Rigby Here, There and Everywhere Strawberry Fields Forever The Long and Winding Road
    Posted by yogafriend

YF - you know that my love for you here is unmatched. Why do you hurt me so?

Strawberry Fields Forever is one of those perfect songs.

yer blues just never really registered with me...i am all about blues, but the beatles are not a blues band, no matter how tortured john was.
    Posted by phsmith8

Agreed that they never were about the Blues except in their own love of the music. The Beatles were and always will be about RnR (Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Lil Ritchie, etc.) But I thought Yer Blues was pretty d*mn good.

In Response to Re: Confessions about Beatles songs : Can't help but notice all your cr*p list are Paul songs And I'll give you Ob-La-Di with out any arguement.
    Posted by jkjband

Trust me - making this list was hard.

I really should have ended it with Michelle, Till There Was You and Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. The other two were thrown in just to round off the number.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to my choice of SFF (I have to abbreviate it, I've humiliated myself so badly) I am going to have to plead temporary insanity.  

I have also removed ER, as it has also caused rancor.  :)

I hope I can restore my reputation and the respect of this august forum.
    Smile
    Mea culpa!  

In response to my choice of SFF (I have to abbreviate it, I've humiliated myself so badly) I am going to have to plead temporary insanity.   I hope I can restore my reputation and the respect of this august forum. Mea culpa!  
    Posted by yogafriend

All is forgiven - I still love you.

FYI - I may have called it a cr*p list, but just so all are aware. IMHO - the Beatles cr*p would be the best of what so many artists release as original music. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Confessions about Beatles songs : All is forgiven - I still love you. FYI - I may have called it a cr*p list, but just so all are aware. IMHO - the Beatles cr*p would be the best of what so many artists release as original music. 
    Posted by jesseyeric

"You live by the sword, you die by the sword."   Lesson learned.  Laughing
    No one else has the nerve to submit a few songs?   Chickens. 

Otherwise, my advice is to think twice before creating a thread that has anything to do with the Beatles.  Risky business.  :)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

all is forgiven yoga, but when i read your selections i did fall out of my chair and wasn't able to breathe for a minute or two...

"living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see"

i remember exactly where and when i first heard that over the haunting organ flute sound that paul plays. just one of those things.

at least you didn't say "i am the walrus"

i can only imagine what it was like picking up the strawberry fields forever/penny lane single...

eleanor rigby is significant to me because i feel as though it was paul's strongest lyrical effort with the beatles...definitely felt the dylan storytelling influence.

phs - I have the original 45 of SFF and PL in its original sleeve. I have it in a frame hanging on my wall. It has the yellow/orange Capital label on it. I was 9 years old and bought it for 49 cents (I believe) at EJ Korvettes. Played it on a victrola over and over. I was memorized by both songs. And when they aired the promo films of the songs on TV - I was in heaven and I had no idea why.

• Sections
    Shortcuts