Confessions about Beatles songs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Confessions about Beatles songs

In Response to Re: Confessions about Beatles songs:
    [QUOTE]phs - I have the original 45 of SFF and PL in its original sleeve. I have it in a frame hanging on my wall. It has the yellow/orange Capital label on it. I was 9 years old and bought it for 49 cents (I believe) at EJ Korvettes. Played it on a victrola over and over. I was memorized by both songs. And when they aired the promo films of the songs on TV - I was in heaven and I had no idea why.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

that is amazing, and i am not at all surprised.Cool

you should take a picture

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

A victrola      LOL .......... What are you 90?

My mother loved the Beatles until they "just got so strange".  I managed to end up with her copies of the two first American albums in first pressings. I should do some thing with them and put them on display.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

That is what they still called them at the time or at least that is what we still called them. It was basically a turntable and two small box speakers that all folded together into a carry case. You usually had to put a quarter on the arm in order for the needle to move in the record groove.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Aw come on!

Ob-la-di ob-la-da life goes on bra lala how the life goes on!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Any song George did with a sitar, plus "I Me Mine" and "Old Brown Shoe."

"The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill"

"Rocky Raccoon"

"Michelle"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I can honestly say there isn't a Beatles song I hate.  The ringo stuff is probably my least favorite.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Egads, there are some great songs that people put on this list (The Long and Winding Road, Eleanor Rigby, Strawberry Fields to name a few).

My list:
    Revolution 9
    Within You, Without You
    Wild Honey Pie

(There's a few more, just can't think of them right now)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

My bottom 5, inpo:

1) This Boy
    2) I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    3) Flying
    4) She Loves You
    5) Tell Me What You See

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]My bottom 5, inpo: 1) This Boy 2) I Want You (She's So Heavy) 3) Flying 4) She Loves You 5) Tell Me What You See
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

flying is a great stoner jam...and iwy(ssh) is EPIC to the max! you're blowing my mind right now

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions about Beatles songs : flying is a great stoner jam...and iwy(ssh) is EPIC to the max! you're blowing my mind right now
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Sorry, bro..."flying" just never did it for me...it's like a mediocre casio reject...even "rev 9" is more interesting.  

Truth is, I could triple this list easily; the "iwy(ssh)" I split with "yer blues", as both are a bit off-putting, even though (blasphemy!) "The White Album" is my fave Beatles disc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

You need to up the dosage on your 'scripts.... "Flying" becomes pure genius.

"La     lala  la laaa "

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I LOVE REVOLUTION #9  .... There I said it and I feel much better about myself.

"#9, #9, #9,#9 .... Take this brother and may it serve you well"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]I LOVE REVOLUTION #9  .... There I said it and I feel much better about myself. "#9, #9, #9,#9 .... Take this brother and may it serve you well"
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

I am with you jkj - I think the song is f'n amazing. If it was the Velvet Underground or the Mothers of Invention who released it, I bet many would be calling it a masterpiece.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]My bottom 5, inpo: 1) This Boy 2) I Want You (She's So Heavy) 3) Flying 4) She Loves You 5) Tell Me What You See

Matty - tell me it isn't so?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

If you've never listened to Revolution 9 on the headphones with the volume turned up as loud as you can stand it without your eardrums bleeding, you haven't really listened to it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions about Beatles songs : I am with you jkj - I think the song is f'n amazing. If it was the Velvet Underground or the Mothers of Invention who released it, I bet many would be calling it a masterpiece.

I dislike some "songs" by Zappa. Are they really songs? Is Revolution 9 a song?
    I categorize stuff like this under experimental sound effects, not music. Most of it doesn't appeal to me. Some people like it, I don't.

I just had a crazy thought. Wouldn't it be hilarious if someone on American Idol performed Revolution 9 on the next Beatles night? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions about Beatles songs : I dislike some "songs" by Zappa. Are they really songs? Is Revolution 9 a song? I categorize stuff like this under experimental sound effects, not music. Most of it doesn't appeal to me. Some people like it, I don't. I just had a crazy thought. Wouldn't it be hilarious if someone on American Idol performed Revolution 9 on the next Beatles night? 
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

there is some serious sampling in that song...rappers today would be nowhere without the beatles, hah.  although back then it was literally cutting tape and putting it together. much easier now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions about Beatles songs : Matty - tell me it isn't so?

Hey, at least I didn't play the obvious and throw "Rev 9" out there - a tune I actually dig for multiple reasons.

Besides, in context, "Come Together" is a 10x better song than "IWY".... 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions about Beatles songs : Sorry, bro..."flying" just never did it for me...it's like a mediocre casio reject...even "rev 9" is more interesting.   Truth is, I could triple this list easily; the "iwy(ssh)" I split with "yer blues", as both are a bit off-putting, even though (blasphemy!) "The White Album" is my fave Beatles disc.

i agree on yer blues, i guess iwy(ssh) just struck a chord with me when they start screaming heavy and slow the beat into a sick groove...i just love it, i guess, no explination.
    another one that i love is "because" just because of the pure beauty of it. a wolf at the door by radiohead is like the messed up child of that song.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions about Beatles songs : i agree on yer blues, i guess iwy(ssh) just struck a chord with me when they start screaming heavy and slow the beat into a sick groove...i just love it, i guess, no explination. another one that i love is "because" just because of the pure beauty of it. a wolf at the door by radiohead is like the messed up child of that song.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

Agreed on "Because"....

(Elliott Smith did a positively haunting cover of it.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Confessions about Beatles songs : Agreed on "Because".... (Elliott Smith did a positively haunting cover of it.)

perfect word to describe elliot smith...haunting...his layered vocals are so eerie it gives me chills every time. perhaps a good artist for the "not enough credit" thread.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Lady Madonna  (I am not backing down on this one -- and will not be intimidated by anyone, and that includes you, jessey). 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]Lady Madonna  (I am not backing down on this one -- and will not be intimidated by anyone, and that includes you, jessey). 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

nothing surprises me anymore...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Okay, it's Friday.  Time to chill.   But seriously.   If the idea (or fact) that Beatles music doesn't draw out my deepest, yoga soul makes me a heretic around here, then so be it.  Doesn't mean I don't appreciate (and even love) the Beatles, look across their catalogue in amazement as to how many great songs there are and how many I even know.  But there may be other artists that affected me (and lots of other people in this life), at a deeper inspirational level due to a wide range of reasons and life experiences. 

So you can love the band, their messages, their level of joy, and love the music, even LOVE SOME OF THE LYRICS (ie, SFF) but it still doesn't mean they are the be all and end all of your musical soul food.  They stand alone, that's a fact.  They will win a popularity contest until we are all blown to bits.

yoga / peace / out

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yoga - I have no problem with your feelings on certain Beatles songs except SFF. You would not be the first to say that Lady Madonna didn't do it for you.

And I would hope you would never back down from me. That would kill the fantasy.