Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from keane5050. Show keane5050's posts

Re: Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist.

I really like Adele's cover of the Dylan song "Make you feel my Love".  I believe it will be featured on an upcoming CD of Dylan covers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't know who sang the original theme from the Mary Tyler Moore Show (Love Is All Around), but it certainly sounds nothing like Joan Jett's version. The first time I saw this song listed on a Jett compilation, I thought it would be a cover of the Troggs' wonderful Love Is All Around Us. Imagine my surprise when I heard the theme from my mother's favorite TV show instead.

That Joan . . .

She's a pistol.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Deluxbandito. Show Deluxbandito's posts

Check out this Nirvana deconstruction by Boston's Will Dailey: 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSsB74HG7jo

speaking of ben folds...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

All along the watchtower- Jimi Hendrix/Bob Dylan
    Mony Mony - Tommy James and the Shondells/ Billy Idol
    Love Hurts - Nazareth/Everly Brothers
    And the most extreme example:
    Pat Boone's album: No more Mr. Nice Guy covering Alice Cooper,Metallica,Deep Purple among others

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist. : Feeling kinda evil after the Karen/ Mama Cass joke, but has it occured to anyone that. "If I were a carpenter, and you were a lady"  is pretty gay? NTTABT
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Only if the carpenter is a lady:

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm sorry if I missed it but I have to say Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt," originally by Nine Inch Nails.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist.:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry if I missed it but I have to say Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt," originally by Nine Inch Nails.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Let's not forget NIN's version of Dead Soul's originally done by Joy Division.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Shane MacGowan and the Popes covering Cracklin Rose

Aztec Camera covering Jump by Van Halen

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

10,000 Maniacs covering Peace Train.   Not an awesomely extreme or original version, but it was inspired, and they did put their stamp on it. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]10,000 Maniacs covering Peace Train.   Not an awesomely extreme or original version, but it was inspired, and they did put their stamp on it.    
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]
    You probably know this story, but after Cat called for Rushdie's death, Natalie had "Peace Train" removed from newly issued copies of "In My Tribe."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist. : You probably know this story, but after Cat called for Rushdie's death, Natalie had "Peace Train" removed from newly issued copies of "In My Tribe."

I didn't know this.  Kudos to her for taking a stand like that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist. : You probably know this story, but after Cat called for Rushdie's death, Natalie had "Peace Train" removed from newly issued copies of "In My Tribe."
    Thank you.  
    Actually, I learned this interesting fact just this morning, at the time I posted.  I love Merchant's rendition of the song, and have only been able to find live versions of 10,000 Maniacs playing it, so I looked it up and that's when I saw the blurb below on Amazon.  Like Hfx, I was impressed with 10,000 Maniacs' decision re: the allbum, and it finally put the issue to "where is this recorded" to rest.  "In my Tribe" was their breakthrough album, albeit not their first.  

" ...a cover of Cat Stevens's "Peace Train" offered listeners a familiar port of entry. However, when Muslim convert Stevens announced his support of Iranian leader Ayatollah Khomeini's call for the execution of Satanic Verses author Salman Rushdie, the band rereleased the album without "Peace Train." --John Milward."  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I have the original In My Tribe on CD. Natalie Merchant is a person of very strong beliefs and principles, but I'm keeping my CD.Wink

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]I have the original In My Tribe on CD. Natalie Merchant is a person of very strong beliefs and principles, but I'm keeping my CD.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]
    DD,
    Are you saying "Peace Train" is on your CD?    And yes, I like Merchant very much, and if the CD was released with PT on it, that's not exactly your doing.  They "re" released the album, so if you got in on the first wave, that was your good fortune.  :D

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Are you saying "Peace Train" is on your CD?    And yes, I like Merchant very much, and if the CD was released with PT on it, that's not exactly your doing.  They "re" released the album, so if you got in on the first wave, that was your good fortune.  :D

Yes, it is on my CD. If my principles were as strong as Natalie's, I would have destroyed my copy. I like Natalie Merchant as an entertainer, but I don't share her beliefs and principles. I was into 10,000 Maniacs back in their heyday and saw them in concert a couple of times. I always felt out of place at those shows as most of the audience seemed to be sincere young idealists who absolutely worshipped the band. Me, I just liked the music.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bashbash. Show bashbash's posts

The album "Deadicated" had a few nice ones.

Ripple by Jane's addiction stands out to me.

There was a similar Hendrix album with a cover of one of the Axis songs by PM Dawn, I think. The whole albums was covers but I remember liking the song, too bad I can't remember which song it was and I no longer have the CD...

Along the lines of Satisfaction by Devo, I would also include Working in the Coal Mine which was originally by Lee Dorsey if I remember correctly

Sinatra covering the Girl from Ipanema (not the greatest cover, but still, its Frank)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]The album "Deadicated" had a few nice ones. Ripple by Jane's addiction stands out to me. There was a similar Hendrix album with a cover of one of the Axis songs by PM Dawn, I think. The whole albums was covers but I remember liking the song, too bad I can't remember which song it was and I no longer have the CD... Along the lines of Satisfaction by Devo, I would also include Working in the Coal Mine which was originally by Lee Dorsey if I remember correctly Sinatra covering the Girl from Ipanema (not the greatest cover, but still, its Frank)
    Posted by bashbash[/QUOTE]

Devo did some interesting covers, didn't they?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

20 unusual cover albums

This guy hits on a lot of stuff discussed here.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]20 unusual cover albums This guy hits on a lot of stuff discussed here.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]
    Polar, you really should have warned us about Michael Bolton!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from celts55. Show celts55's posts

Last Kiss Pearl Jam.
    Counting Crows Big Yellow Taxi
    Country roads Toots and the Maytals
    Gin and Juice the gourds
    Boyz in the hood Dynamite Hack

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bashbash. Show bashbash's posts

The last post referenced Country Road by Toots and the Maytals. Now that I think of it there are a a few other reggae interpretations I can think of...

Let it Be by the Ethiopians
    Weather Report by the Tennors (basically Paul Simon's "the only living boy in NY")

One could also mention the whole Dread Zeppelin novelty act from around 1989, but they are probably best forgotten. I don't think their songs count as covers since that was their entire shtick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I was just flipping through DirecTV's music channels and heard Carrie Underwood singing Motley Crue's Home Sweet Home.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Celine Dion did a cover of ACDC's "You shook me all night long", which is so bad it that I would take waterboarding over having to listen to this horror show.

On the other hand Joan Jett does great covers, my favorite would be crimson and clover, by Tommy James and the shondells.