Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist.

So, I'm eating dinner at Applebee's with my favorite lady of 18 years and we hear a song made famous by The Supremes, many , many years ago...'You Keep Me Hanging On.' I like the Diana Ross and Supremes version alot but my favorite has always been the psychedlic era's cover by Vanilla Fudge. The version we heard in Applebee's was by some horrendous pop queen and we both agreed it stunk ( or stinks or stank, whatever is proper, it was lousy).

So. I got to thinking, who ever would have thought a hip group of the 60's would cover a Supreme's song and make it work ( although quite different , it is recognizable as the same song, somewhat).

I started thinking while I was waiting for my oriental chicken salad ( hey, when you are together for almost 20 years , conversation tends to be slow , especially when you've spent the whole day together!.. and the football highlights on ESPN bore you), what other bands covered songs by artists very unlike them in style. I came up with these two:

Joni Mitchell's 'This Flight Tonight' performed by Nazareth.

and:

Joan Baez' 'Diamond's and Rust performed by Judas Priest.

Any other's come to your mind?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist.

Woodstock-Joni Mitchell and Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young
    Dancing in the streets-Martha and the Vandellas/Van Halen(I won't include the Jagger-Bowie version)
    Satisfaction-Devo/Rolling Stones
    Many,many old blues standards that were remade since the 60's like
    Back door Man -Wille Dixon/The Doors

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bob Seger's 'Turn the Page' by Metallica

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Ugh, Applebee's.

Lately, I've quite enjoyed Rufus Wainwright's cover of "Across The Universe"...

...and The Cramps' cover of "Psychotic Reaction" (the Count Five).

But tops might be Tori Amos' take on Slayer's "Raining Blood".  Must be heard to be believed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

"Crazy Mary" by Pearl Jam is pretty different than Victoria Williams version.

Cracker's  "Rainy Days on Monday's,"  is certainly different from the original Carpenter's version

And who could forget Rocket Man by--- 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

ohhh, we did something like this a while back and I have to weigh in with one of the best:  
    Sonic Youth's "Superstar"  --  (to add to Carpenters' covers along with polar's).

BTW, is there an album of covers of Carpenters' songs?  I seem to remember it being mentioned more than once on the forum.  Anyone?   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist.:
    [QUOTE]ohhh, we did something like this a while back and I have to weigh in with one of the best:   Sonic Youth's "Superstar"  --  (to add to Carpenters' covers along with polar's). BTW, is there an album of covers of Carpenters' songs?  I seem to remember it being mentioned more than once on the forum.  Anyone?   
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

"If I Were A Carpenter" of which "Superstar" is the best, I think...

...featuring the aforementioned as well as notably Bettie Serveert, Grant Lee Buffalo, American Music Club, et al.

A worthy curio that beats the pants off the originals, IMNSHO....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

If I were a Carpenter
    ," came out I think in 94. It was a really interesting album, featuring many of the best indie bands of the nineties, though my favorite song on the album was done by the great and underrated -non indie, Grant Lee Buffalo "we've only just begun."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Light my fire - Doors/Jose Feliciano
    Smooth Criminal- Michael Jackson/Alien Ant Farm

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COtZZmWKcRI

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Some great ones I had forgotten about, I especially like Devo's redo of the Stones classic.

How about this one, Too Much Joy ( alt./punk band) covering the soft rock classic from the early 70's by Terry Jacks. 'Seasons in the Sun.'

Or Joan Jett's version of AC/DC's 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.'

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Another from the very different but wouldn't do without either category...

Proud Mary - CCR/Ike & Tina Turner

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cover songs by artists who are very unlike the original artist. : "If I Were A Carpenter" of which "Superstar" is the best, I think... ...featuring the aforementioned as well as notably Bettie Serveert, Grant Lee Buffalo, American Music Club, et al. A worthy curio that beats the pants off the originals, IMNSHO....
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]Thanks, Matty (and Polar) ... I like how your responses were in sync re: Grant Lee Buffalo.  I just checked out their track on youtube and it's damn good.  Shonen Knife does a track?  I (used to) love them, bizarre and crazy.  I've got to get hold of this.   :D

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This is the most interesting cover song:

Carly Simon - You're So Vain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZmCJUSC6g

Now - the version by Faster Pussycat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41zKVmk4z8Q

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Light my fire - Doors/Jose Feliciano Smooth Criminal- Michael Jackson/Alien Ant Farm
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Smooth Criminal is a good choice Mojo

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

I don't know who did it but the guy that redid Every Breath You Take destroyed it. 
     The latest version of Wild Horses from the Stones (never found out who sings it) is actually rather well done.

Can someone answer a question for me?
     Weird Al Yankovik is known best for redoing popular songs with new words. There is a song on one of his albums entitled The Night Santa Went Crazy.
     I always assumed he wrote that song but that is now in question as, one day, whilst driving along and listening to XM's ALT channel, I heard the same exact music but with completely different wording.
     The question is who wrote the song?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

These two are more than covers -- we're talking remakes here.   Both are outstanding, IMHO.  

If you like (or think you'd like) the fusion of hip hop with a classic, then you might become a fan of:

"Sounds of San Francisco" - the Global Deejays

"San Francisco Anthem"  -  San Quinn / Big Rich, et al

Both take the song Scott McKenzie made famous during the flower child generation's hey day, "San Francisco" (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in your Hair) to a whole 'nother level.   

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

If I were a Carpenter is a great CD. Got that way back when along with Saturday Morning Cartoons, another cover CD.

Speaking of covers, Cake's versions of I will Survive and Never Gonna Give you Up and War Pigs were all a bit different and good

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mo41083. Show Mo41083's posts

Emm Gryner's version of Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Wicked Messenger - Bob Dylan, Faces, Patty Smith (although she is like Dylan in her own right).

Dr. Wu- Steely Dan, Minutemen

America - Simon & Garfunkel, Yes

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Wicked Messenger - Bob Dylan, Faces, Patty Smith (although she is like Dylan in her own right). Dr. Wu- Steely Dan, Minutemen America - Simon & Garfunkel, Yes
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

The Black Keys does a killer version of Wicked Messenger on the I'm Not There soundtrack which is chock full of some great Dylan covers.

Good call on Cake's "I Will Survive".

Add: The Sex Pistols' take on "My Way"...ol' blue eyes with a black eye and bloody lip.

Sections
Shortcuts