Cover Songs : Taking a bad song and turning it into something amazing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Cover Songs : Taking a bad song and turning it into something amazing

I'm looking for songs that were not that good to start with (in your opinion) and turned aroun by the cover version.  For example:

CAKE - I Will Survive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=596qaxm-u4o

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Cover Songs : Taking a bad song and turning it into something amazing

Joy Divisions Dead Souls, while good didn't have any real bite. The vocals do not appear until after the 2 miniute mark. The urgency just isn't there.

Nine Inch Nails took that song to a completely new and higher level.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Alien Ant Farm took Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal to a completely new level.

This one really doesn't count, but I love ELP's take on Fanfare for the Common Man.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

In Response to Re: Cover Songs : Taking a bad song and turning it into something amazing:
    Joy Divisions Dead Souls , while good didn't have any real bite. The vocals do not appear until after the 2 miniute mark. The urgency just isn't there. Nine Inch Nails took that song to a completely new and higher level.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Yes NIN did take dead souls to a much better level, but joy division's version is pretty good IMO.  Its on the Crow Soundtrack right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Cover Songs : Taking a bad song and turning it into something amazing:
    In Response to Re: Cover Songs : Taking a bad song and turning it into something amazing : Yes NIN did take dead souls to a much better level, but joy division's version is pretty good IMO.  Its on the Crow Soundtrack right?
    Posted by jkjband

NIN's version is on the soundtrack.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i realize i am partial to radiohead, but i think they do an awesomely rockin cover of "nobody does it better" by carly simon (for some james bond movie).  thom yorke said it's the "sexiest song ever written."  certainly one of them.

also, there is an amazing cover of the rap song "Gin and Juice" by (i believe) the string cheese incident...it's credited to a lot of different bands, but i think that's the real one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Faster Pussycat took Carly Simons Your So Vain to a completely different stratosphere.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Faster Pussycat took Carly Simons Your So Vain to a completely different stratosphere.
    Posted by jesseyeric

so far 2 artists improving on carly simon...i like the way this is going

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Great topic!
    I'll think of more later, I'm sure, but the first thing that comes to my mind is Eva Cassidy's version of "Time After Time."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Great topic! I'll think of more later, I'm sure, but the first thing that comes to my mind is Eva Cassidy's version of "Time After Time."
    Posted by LloydDobler

Lloyd: you think the original "Time After Time" was a bad song?   Just curious, as I think the original is gorgeous. 

A Cassidy upgrade of a song I never particularly liked:
    Fields of Gold - Eva's version surpasses Sting, IMHO 
                      (I know you and I share admiration for Cassidy)
    Smile
    and

When You Say Nothing At All - Alison Krauss (totally crazy sweet)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Dynamite Hack - Boyz In The Hood  (though the original wasn't terrible)

Gypsy Kings - Hotel California (don't much like the Eagles...sue me...)

Santa Esmeralda - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (again, the original is good [as was Nina Simone's], but this ten-minute latin-disco version takes it to a whole new level.)

Tough topic, as if I don't like the song originally, I'm even less likely to dig a cover of it.

Conversely, I think No Doubt absolutely murdered Talk Talk's "It's My Life".  I can't break out the original now (or the sublime 12" extended mix - find this if you can...well worth it) without its mention .  [Ditto 311's Love Song...please just stop it....]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThinkSnow99. Show ThinkSnow99's posts

I'll second Cake's awesome version of  "I Will Survive"

'Me and Bobby McGee' by Janis Joplin has always been a favorite cover of mine too (Kris Kristofferson)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

What about "Twist and Shout" The Beatles. I know the Isley Brothers did a good version, but The Beatles took it to another level!  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

This is a tough one for me. All of the covers I can think of were not "bad songs" as originals.

I feel that the song "Still I'm Sad" by the Yardbirds was good but nothing special. Blackmore's Rainbow turned it into an electric guitar tour de force by covering it as an instrumental on the first Rainbow LP.

Rory Gallagher covered the old Blues song "Messin' with the Kid" and it is great, but the original, by Junior Wells is not a bad song, either.

Clapton brought fame to "Cocaine", a song by J.J. Cale. None of us probably would have ever heard of Cale if not for Clapton.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I liked how  Michael Andrews and Gary Jules covered "Mad World" (originally done by Tears For Fears) in the Donnie Darko soundtrack.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"Superstar" -  Sonic Youth

SY's version is absolutely brilliant and sick. *

*all possible meanings of the word "sick" apply. 
    Cool

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

"Superstar" -  Sonic Youth SY's version is absolutely brilliant and sick. * *all possible meanings of the word "sick" apply. 
    Posted by yogafriend

I forgot that one.... Excellent choice

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Jay Reatard covers Nirvanas "Frances Farmer Has her Revenge on Seattle". Jay does it up real good. Liek it better than Nirvanas original.. The Clash did a good job on I Fought the Law

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"Superstar" -  Sonic Youth SY's version is absolutely brilliant and sick. * *all possible meanings of the word "sick" apply. 
    Posted by yogafriend

Brilliant.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Sex Pistols - Steeping Stone (original by The Monkees)

And Sid's Version of My Way awful singing by Sid yet brilliant in its Punk context

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Cover Songs : Taking a bad song and turning it into something amazing : Lloyd: you think the original "Time After Time" was a bad song?   Just curious, as I think the original is gorgeous.  A Cassidy upgrade of a song I never particularly liked: Fields of Gold - Eva's version surpasses Sting, IMHO                    (I know you and I share admiration for Cassidy) and When You Say Nothing At All - Alison Krauss (totally crazy sweet)
    Posted by yogafriend

Yeah, I was never a fan of Cyndi. Agreed on "Fields of Gold" ... Sting's wasn't awful, but Eva's is beautiful.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Elvis with his great voice and fabulous band could take mediocre melodies and make them sound very good.  Two examples: "That's All Right Mama" and "I'm A Steam Roller Baby".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Sex Pistols - Steeping Stone (original by The Monkees) And Sid's Version of My Way awful singing by Sid yet brilliant in its Punk context
    Posted by jkjband

yes to both

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Posted by yogafriend

I think the Sonic Youth version of 'Superstar' is really eerie and haunting. When I heard it, I bought the CD of covers of Carpenters tunes , even though I am not a big fan of the Carpenters. The orignal is not a bad song ( it was a big hit in it's time) but, Sonic Youth take it to another level and give it their own treatment.

There is a song by Kraftwerk covered by Souixsie and the Banshees called 'Hall of Mirrors' that also is quite different from the original , although both are very good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Stop Your Sobbing - Pretenders

Originally a Kinks song, which I wasn't aware of until recently; the Pretenders made a hit out of it (was it ever a hit for the Kinks?)

Sections
Shortcuts