Cyndi scores a Tony Award for Best Original Score

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Cyndi scores a Tony Award for Best Original Score

Of all the award shows, the Tony Awards are at the top of the heap for showcasing not only the magic of live theatre, but the absolute love of it.    The support and enthusiasm of the theatre community is palpable.  Three hours of sheer bliss; no, I am not kidding.  

It's hard to believe, on a Sunday night, when I normally like to read, I was riveted to the Tony Awards.   Man, the show was one show-stopping performance after another.   I didn't know the Broadway hit, "Annie" was revived until last night (and up for a Tony for a revival), but all the kids were astounding in the classic, "Hard Knock Life" and Jane Lynch of "Glee" fame, who is playing Miss Hannigan, owned the stage.    There was also a performance by the stars of "Motown, the Musical" that included and featured the Jackson 5 performance, and the kid that played Michael Jackson was spot on.    There were too many other performances to single out.  

The stunner of the night, however, was the closing song with Neil Patrick Harris (perfect host for the Tony Awards, it should be a given he's there every year) rapping to "Empire State of Mind"  with Audra MacDonald singing  (ala Alicia Keys).    NPH was simply brilliant.   See quoted text:

"Not content to have his incredible opening number be the only you remembered about the Tony Awards, Neil Patrick Harris — with the assistance of Audra McDonald — closed down the show by setting the night’s events to “Empire State of Mind” and confirming what a magnificent son of a b*tch he is, working in almost all the names of the night’s winners into his rhymes. Not exactly something that is easily rehearsed beforehand."

Last, but by no means least, Cyndi Lauper accepted an award for her original score of the musical, "Kinky Boots" ; I was truly moved by her humility and appreciation upon winning the award.   Hard to believe her accent is for real, but it is ... and she gushed her thanks in her own unique style.   Later, she sang, "True Colors" to accompany the memorial tribute for all of the talented people in the arts who passed away last year.    Nice.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Cyndi scores a Tony Award for Best Original Score

The best Miss Hannigan (ever) imo is Sally Struthers,  I prefer her performance to Ms Lynch's.   

Sally Struthers: ‘Annie' is the ‘perfect play' photo (Ed Krieger)

Sally Struthers stars as Miss Hannigan in "Annie." Struthers first played Hannigan in the late '90s and returns to play her during various regional productions.

I was very happy for Cyndi Lauper though,  enjoyed her recent memoir  

I enjoyed the Tony Awards as always, but have to admit I tuned out at 10pm :)

Avatar from "The Artwork of Catherine Darling Hostetter" 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My daughter is now a big Cyndi Lauper fan because she's taking singing lessons and the instructor says she sounds a bit like Cyndi. Smile

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdl6bYcSRkE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Of all the award shows, the Tony Awards are at the top of the heap for showcasing not only the magic of live theatre, but the absolute love of it.    The support and enthusiasm of the theatre community is palpable.  Three hours of sheer bliss; no, I am not kidding.  

It's hard to believe, on a Sunday night, when I normally like to read, I was riveted to the Tony Awards.   Man, the show was one show-stopping performance after another.   I didn't know the Broadway hit, "Annie" was revived until last night (and up for a Tony for a revival), but all the kids were astounding in the classic, "Hard Knock Life" and Jane Lynch of "Glee" fame, who is playing Miss Hannigan, owned the stage.    There was also a performance by the stars of "Motown, the Musical" that included and featured the Jackson 5 performance, and the kid that played Michael Jackson was spot on.    There were too many other performances to single out.  

The stunner of the night, however, was the closing song with Neil Patrick Harris (perfect host for the Tony Awards, it should be a given he's there every year) rapping to "Empire State of Mind"  with Audra MacDonald singing  (ala Alicia Keys).    NPH was simply brilliant.   See quoted text:

"Not content to have his incredible opening number be the only you remembered about the Tony Awards, Neil Patrick Harris — with the assistance of Audra McDonald — closed down the show by setting the night’s events to “Empire State of Mind” and confirming what a magnificent son of a b*tch he is, working in almost all the names of the night’s winners into his rhymes. Not exactly something that is easily rehearsed beforehand."

Last, but by no means least, Cyndi Lauper accepted an award for her original score of the musical, "Kinky Boots" ; I was truly moved by her humility and appreciation upon winning the award.   Hard to believe her accent is for real, but it is ... and she gushed her thanks in her own unique style.   Later, she sang, "True Colors" to accompany the memorial tribute for all of the talented people in the arts who passed away last year.    Nice.  

Hi Yoga, back after a long absence.  I don't meant to be rude - I like and respect you - but a)  I cannot understand why anyone would value the winner of a popularity contest, and b) I think the motley group of, largely, remakes, tributes and rubbish has-been-but-never-were pop singers in your post don't have Rogers, Hart and Hammerstein...or the Bernsteins....or Berlin...or Porter...or even the Sherman Brothers rolling in their graves.

It's actually a bit sad.  I'm not a huge fan of musicals but there is a fair bit I know and like, but it's a dying/dead genre simply because there's so little money in it.

Sections
Shortcuts