Dance To The Music!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Dance To The Music!

"All we need is a drummer , for people who only need a beat."

I've gotta test the waters here. I don't see too much love for music with a good beat that makes you want to dance, except for a few side comments here and there. So c'mon, let's show some love for movin' and groovin' to the beat. I know there's a lot of mis-guided hate for Disco, but that isn't the only dance music. I love music that has a good beat and makes me want to shake my groove thing. There is as much of an escape though our physical reaction to music as there is through our intellectual reaction.

Dance music has always been around, from Tribal Drums, Classical Chamber Music, Boogie Blues, Swing Jazz. Soul, R&B, Disco, Hip-Hop, Rave, Rap etc. Everyone's body moves to a different beat.

I like 50's rock, Blues, Swing Jazz, Soul, R&B, Funk, Disco, & Hip-Hop. Chuck Berry. Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Sly and the Family Stone, James Brown, Stax, Atlantic, Motown, and others too numerous to mention. Music that makes we want to get up and boogie. As the great John Lee H00ker said, "It's in him, and it's got to come out.

Which brings up a personal anecdote. I was lucky enough to see the great John Lee at a blues festival back in the late 80'/early 90's. He closed his set with his patented boogie music. I couldn't help myself. I jumped up, got as close to the stage as security would allow, and wiggled my hips. It was sublime.

So what gets you to shake your bootie? (If anything)

"We ain't the Archies, without the Jughead beat."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Dance To The Music!

Me and my girls were grooving to Pink's Raise your Glass earlier.  Usher's DJ's got us falling in love again is cool.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

That is what I loved about New Wave - it was rock, but you could dance to it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Dance To The Music!:
    [QUOTE]Me and my girls were grooving to Pink's Raise your Glass earlier.  Usher's DJ's got us falling in love again is cool.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

I love Pink's "Trouble".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]That is what I loved about New Wave - it was rock, but you could dance to it.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I think of New Wave as power pop music. It was kind of a throwback to late 50's/early 60's rock n' roll with up to date instrumentation and sensibility. Short, punchy, poppy songs that eschewed instrumental virtuosity and emphasized catchy hooks. I was a huge New Wave fan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I actually really like Disco...but the song that gets me going lately is Raise your Glass by Pink.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"I Know You Want Me" - Pitbull

"Makes Me Wonder" and "Give a Little More"  - Maroon 5
    (they're fluff, but Maroon 5 has some appeal on a limited basis)

I love watching people (who know how to dance) get on the dance floor.  Unfortunately, I am not one of them.  However, after a couple of glasses of wine, I can dance as well as anyone else.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I'll go with Prince

My wife loves Madonna 

My two kids 8 & 9 like all the pre teen/teen stuff, some of which is tolerable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]"I Know You Want Me" - Pitbull Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

never woulda guessed! so many layers to yogafriend...

as for myself, under the *right* circumstances i'll dance to anything.

dubstep music has been captivating me under said circumstances lately. really weird stuff.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Definitely Prince. 

And ditto on New Wave - one of the best being INXS, who managed to rock and groove at the same time, as well as New Order, Missing Persons, Berlin, The The, et al.

But for me, danceable music all starts with the giants of funk: James Brown, Sly Stone, Parliament Funkadelic, The Brothers Johnson, The Ohio Players, Lakeside, Curtis Mayfield, Average White Band, etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dance To The Music! : never woulda guessed! so many layers to yogafriend... as for myself, under the *right* circumstances i'll dance to anything. dubstep music has been captivating me under said circumstances lately. really weird stuff.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    Another musical revelation --- glad you enjoyed it! 

Suicide Blonde (I was listening to a little while ago) is pretty groooovy, too.

Smile

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Oh, and just about any ska / rocksteady / reggae / dub works for me....

Sections
Shortcuts