Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall?

Does one of these albums lag too far behind the other to make this a fair preference question?

Is there a better (or closer / tighter) preference "test" for DSOTM?   

Otherwise, can you name your favorite PF album without any hesitation?

"I am under no obligation to make sense to you."  Neil DeGrasse Tyson

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Re: Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall?

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does one of these albums lag too far behind the other to make this a fair preference question?

"I am under no obligation to make sense to you."  Neil DeGrasse Tyson

[/QUOTE]

You really love Floyd, huh?  I would go with Dark Side and it really isn't close for me, but I hold a special place for Meddle from '71.

I always felt like The Wall was a little bloated in some ways, to be honest.  A little too long, too.

1. Dark Side

2. Meddle

3. Wish You Were Here

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My favorite Floyd album is Wish You Were Here.

I agree with DougIrwin that The Wall is a little on the bloated side.  I thought side four of the vinyl was pretty bad, in fact.  Like many double albums, it could have been compressed into a really strong single album.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'll concur with my esteemed associates.  DSOTM by several leagues.

Ditto my favorite PF LP is Wish You Were Here.

The Wall definitely has its moments and is up there with the great conceptual rock spectacles of all time.  For me, this also weakens it as a rock album for the reasons mentioned above and the fact that it's ultimately less of a total band effort despite some outstanding individual performances.

One thing that I've noticed about The Wall is that I like certain songs better as suites than as radio hits, such as "Brick, Pt. 1/Happiest Days/Brick Pt. 2", "Blue Sky/Empty Spaces/Young Lust", or "Hey You/Anybody/Nobody Home".

WYWH and DSOTM are the whole package, nearly flawless from end-to-end with no filler.

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Agree that The Wall is a bit bloated.

Here's how I rank my top Pink Floyd albums:

1. Wish You Were Here

2. Animals

3. Dark Side of the Moon

4. Meddle

5. Division Bell

6. The Wall

7. Momentary Lapse of Reason

8. Saucerful of Secrets

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

The Wall is one of my least favorite PF albums. Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals and Piper at the Gates of Dawn are my top 4.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I actually think that The Wall is a better album than DSOTM. However, I don't listen to The Wall as often as DSOTM as I find it somewhat of a negative album. A lot of my favorite albums are somewhat negative, but listening to them all day long I think you have to take TUMS or Rolaids.

If I have the time, I like to listen to the following Pink Floyd albums non-stop and in the following order:

1. Animals

2. Wish You Were Here

3. The Dark Side Of The Moon

I find that those three albums blend into each other very well and form a triple album unsurpassed by any other three albums that I know of.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Dark Side of the Moon is the only Pink Floyd album I own. Nuf ced.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You really love Floyd, huh?  I would go with Dark Side and it really isn't close for me, but I hold a special place for Meddle from '71.

I always felt like The Wall was a little bloated in some ways, to be honest.  A little too long, too.

1. Dark Side

2. Meddle

3. Wish You Were Here

[/QUOTE]

So, you've noticed that I like PF?   :)   Actually, what's true is that I love discussing their music / albums, and hearing opinions, esp. with the group that resides in this forum.   In general, I like to read what others have to say as well, because the observations of PF fans are always interesting and unwavering. 

Your (and other) comment(s) re: the Wall are what many feel is true (bloated).  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I actually think that The Wall is a better album than DSOTM. However, I don't listen to The Wall as often as DSOTM as I find it somewhat of a negative album. A lot of my favorite albums are somewhat negative, but listening to them all day long I think you have to take TUMS or Rolaids.

If I have the time, I like to listen to the following Pink Floyd albums non-stop and in the following order:

1. Animal
      2. Wish You Were Here
      3. The Dark Side Of The Moon

I find that those three albums blend into each other very well and form a triple album unsurpassed by any other three albums that I know of.

[/QUOTE]
    Interesting list.

BTW, re: the TUMS comment --  I like your dry sense of humor (which I've noticed many times). 

I'm also drawn to oftentimes melancholy music, but like you, I know when I've over-dosed.   To date, I've never had an upset stomach b/c of my musical choices.   :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Wish you were here is my favorite

Darkside is great but feels a little over engineered.

The Wall seems a little too theatrical.  It doesn't have the same feel as all of the other stuff.  It's gots some great tracks - but it's just a little too theatrical for my taste.  I will pull out Darkside and Wish you were here to listen to.  I won't put the Wall on.  but i do enjoy listening to songs from the Wall on David Gilmore's live CD.

Loved the Wall as a high schooler.  Not so much as a middle aged adult.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1. Dark Side

2. Meddle

3. Wish You Were Here

[/QUOTE]

So, you've noticed that I like PF?   :)   Actually, what's true is that I love discussing their music / albums, and hearing opinions, esp. with the group that resides in this forum.   In general, I like to read what others have to say as well, because the observations of PF fans are always interesting and unwavering. 

Your (and other) comment(s) re: the Wall are what many feel is true (bloated).  

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am very observant.  hehe

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Big fan of Atom Heart Mother. That being said, DSoTM before The Wall. Wish You Were Here tops them all.

Oh by the way, which one is Pink?

Took myself a small vacation, kind of on investigation. Checking out a new sensation, finding much invigoration. Hand is on the buzzer and i'm walking through the door.

Get high - high - high  on a new thing.