David Coverdale - Yes or No

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

David Coverdale - Yes or No

For years, David Coverdale has been blasted for being nothing more than a Robert Plant rip-off and yet he is has smoothly transitioned through a 40 year career which has spanned fronting a band called The Government to Deep Purple (DP Mach 3) to Whitesnake, a very successful and critically aclaimed collaboration with Jimmy Page to several solo albums,  and then reforming Whitesnake.

He voice is/was extremely powerful with a definite blues influence, hence the comparrisons to Robert Plant. He has written song after song which stand on their own all these years later and he has sold over 100 milllion albums in his career in all musical formations which he has participated in.

Does Coverdale stand on his own?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: David Coverdale - Yes or No

Coverdale does have a great rock voice and he's a good songwriter.  I liked all the Purple albums with Coverdale and Hughes.  Whitesnake I'm not that big on.  They're a little Spinal Tap-py in my opinion-a collection of rock cliches.  Those Tawny Kitaen videos were too much.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Love Coverdales voice...the Whitesnake videos with Kitaen were a bit over the top, but I had time turning it off when it came on. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Coverdale does have a great rock voice and he's a good songwriter.  I liked all the Purple albums with Coverdale and Hughes.  Whitesnake I'm not that big on.  They're a little Spinal Tap-py in my opinion-a collection of rock cliches.  Those Tawny Kitaen videos were too much.  

mmmmmmmmmm......Tawny Kitaen.........mmmmmmmmmm...what a train wreck she turned out to be...

Coverdale does it, he's a talented voice and front man. I think you have to put things in perspective too - Whitesnake was one of "many" hair bands in the 80's. Record company's being record company's are always looking to cash in any which way they can....so if a label needed a "hair band" they created one for a few $$$$$$$...that being said Whitsnake left a mark on the 80's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I liked Tawny back in the day. I remember when she co-starred with Tom Hanks in The Bachelor Party (or something like that). And personally, back in the Whitesnake days, I had no problem with Tawny dancing around in short skirts and high heels. Personally, I had nothing against any of the MTV Hair Band dancers. Bobby Brown, Alicia Silverstone, etc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

It should have been a very sad thing when Deep Purple and Gillan/Glover parted, and then later when Blackmore left. However , as they say, the band played on.

Coverdale/ Hughes gave Deep Purple a shot in the arm and added some new blood to the lineup. Tommy Bolin would have been just fine replacing the greatest Heavy Metal guitarest ever, but with his death, we'll never know. Just like we'll never know how much more great guitar we would have heard from Paul Kossoff, perhaps the greatist guitarist that most people never heard ( of)....everybody's heard him, he's the guitar on "All Right Now" ( possibly the greatest rock song ever). But that's another story.

I didn't feel the loss of Deep Purple because from the ashes we got Rainbow and Whitesnake. Perhaps the lineup of Coverdale/ Hughes/ Paice/ Blackmore/ Lord was just too much talent for one band anyway. No slight against Gillan and Glover but they were more supporting cast for the great talents of Blackmore and Lord. Coverdale was great , but he and Hughes were more "central" characters and needed more space for their egos/talents...which is why Hughes clashed with Ritchie in the first place.

When given his own band, Coverdale flew high. His bluesy singing was above many of the screamers in the other Metal bands ( Bon Scott, Rob Halford , but not Klaus Meine or Ronnie James Dio , who were awesome Metal vocalists).

'Mistreated' is one of rock's great songs that never made radio for airplay. Credited to Blackmore and Coverdale, it became a staple of Rainbow's live shows with Dio for years.

Coverdale's 'Fool For Your Loving' which appears on two different LPs, two different versions, has the punch you would like from every hard rock song.....one of my alltime favorites.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I reccomend to all if you are into Zep or Purple, if you do not have a copy of the Coverdale/Page collaboration, I strongly urge you to get it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Coverdale definitely stands on his own.  Whitesnake was a bit underrated because they were inconsistent, but "Live In The Heart Of The City" is killer blues-metal from back to front without a bad track on it.  They effectively bridged the gap between 70's hard rock and its late 80s revival.  "Slide It In" was another great - if kitschy - album.

Yes, they descended into a bit of parody in the 80s (really, who didn't?) but they were still better and more seasoned than most of their colleagues. I saw them open for Motley Crue back in the day and thought they stole the show, due in part to Coverdale's heroics on the mike.

Ditto on "Mistreated" zilla, and also "Walking in the Shadow..." and "Ain't No Love..."

He belongs right up there with Paul Rodgers on the rock vocal charts, IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I agree with you about Coverdale (in bold). As for Whitesnake, I disagree. I liked him with Whitesnake specifically for the reason you mentioned you didn't like. That they were Spinal Tap-py is what made them so great. And you gotta love the Tawny Kitaen videos. Those over-the-top metal videos were great.

Sections
Shortcuts