Describe your taste in music

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Describe your taste in music

Using 6 (or fewer) albums.  

This is meant to represent an overall summary of your taste in music, and not meant to dissect it, obviously.   But you know as well as I do, that even if you have eclectic taste, you favor certain aspects of rock music and gravitate to those first -- and maybe always have.   If someone looked at this short list, do you think they could get a grip on what your taste in music is like?

If you can be asked to name your favorite song (and some of you responded) by Sonics, then it's possible to summarize your taste with the generous offer of using 1/2 dozen albums to do so, isn't it?   Or is this a tougher? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Describe your taste in music

Good one, yoga!

This needs a little thought. (because my 6 favorite albums wouldn't suffice)

But it occurs to me that someone else might only truly understand if they knew the albums in question, no?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Good one, yoga!

This needs a little thought. (because my 6 favorite albums wouldn't suffice)

But it occurs to me that someone else might only truly understand if they knew the albums in question, no?

True.   But in this case, a decision had to be made.  :)

It's more of a challenge to use specific albums, than to make a list of artists -- which may have a range of albums, possibly across 20 years or more, in some cases.  Too easy. 

There is an "assumption of knowledge" as it pertains to getting a grip on your taste, however, if someone has never heard of the albums, so that might only apply if the albums are well known.   That's the rub, you're right.

But, hey, if anyone feels that there's an obscure album out there that characterizes their taste, then so be it.     I just thought this would be a different way to think about how a person would represent their taste, and upon reflection, may not be easy.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Ragged Glory- Neil Young

Blackout - Scorpions

This Year's Model- Elvis Costello

Vision Thing- Sisters Of Mercy

Violator- Depeche Mode

Burn- Deep Purple

...but I could easily name 6 others that might lead people in a different direction:

Court And Spark- Joni Mitchell

Past, Present and Future- Al Stewart

John Wesley Harding - Bob Dylan

Works Vol 1 - ELP

Threshold Of A Dream- Moody Blues

A Real Mother For You- Johnny 'Guitar' Watson

...I could not describe my taste in music with less than 50 albums. I'd be leaving out artsists like Roger Miller, Muddy Waters, Ailce In Chains, Bad Religion, Megadeth , Graham Parker and a few hundred other artists that I really like, unless you assume that I like these by relatationship with the artists I've named.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Howlin' Wolf - Howlin' Wolf (Rocking Chair Album)

Chuck Berry - Chuck Berry is on Top

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley

Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

Graham Parker - Howlin' Wind

Nick Lowe - Pure Pop for Now People

This wasn't easy nor do my choices fully describe my taste. Much of my music is not contained in albums but in collections and boxed sets. I really love the single as a medium of music so having to use albums really constrains me and gives a very narrow view of my taste.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

Only Built for Cuban Linx - Raekwon

Live at the Harlem Square Club - Sam Cooke

OK Computer - Radiohead

White Album - The Beatles

In the Aeroplane over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel

the one with the long name - Cap'n Jazz

Love hip hop and soul, needed to include something from each of those genres, (Raekwon and Sam Cooke). Love alt rock/indie rock and stuff like that also has acoustic guitar, so needed to include something from them, (Radiohead and Neutral Milk Hotel). Had to include a Beatles album because their albums got me deeper into music. Had to include something emo/post hardcore-ish because I don't listen to a ton of stuff like that, but the ones I have I listen to a lot.

Didn't include any Jazz or Metal albums because I don't love those genres as much as others. Toughest omission was some sort of punk or post punk and electronic, because I listen to a good amount of those genres. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Beatles - Revolver (no explanation needed)

Creedence - Cosmo's Factory (covers me in the folk/country/southern rock depts) 

Led Zeppelin - IV (heavy blues/classic metal)

Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties (dark, trippy psychedelia/metal/brainy lyrics)

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (prog/classical/concept)

Odds - Nest (super-clever power pop, and Canadian)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Howlin' Wolf - Howlin' Wolf (Rocking Chair Album)

Chuck Berry - Chuck Berry is on Top

Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley

Elvis Costello - My Aim is True

Graham Parker - Howlin' Wind

Nick Lowe - Pure Pop for Now People

This wasn't easy nor do my choices fully describe my taste. Much of my music is not contained in albums but in collections and boxed sets. I really love the single as a medium of music so having to use albums really constrains me and gives a very narrow view of my taste.

You could have pulled a fast one since I didn't exclude collections (greatest hits albums), or even box sets, so your integrity speaks for itself.   If you'd done your list with a compilation album or two, which ones would you have chosen?    It would be a killer question to select top compilation / greatest hits collections for someone like you in general, I'd imagine.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

No use fighting the fact that Britannia rules in music. As such, my taste in music resembles the following:

• The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue (I don't know why)
    • Pink Floyd - The Darkside of the Moon
    • Def Leppard - Hysteria (balad type music with bite)
    • U2 - Achtung Baby
    • Coldplay - A Rush to the Head
    • Radiohead - OK Computer

In summary, my music taste is mostly of the warm fuzzy type, the exceptions being The Rolling Stones (grew up and got addicted to) and Def Leppard (glam metal's finest with much balad type songs).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Nice lists.  Fun to see what you say when a limit is set.  I knew Zilla would not be put to this test without a push back, but that's not a problem (and his is an interesting list).  

I'd make my list but my kitty has plastered his sweet little self right next to me and I can barely type right now... back in a few.  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Who's next -The Who

Blood,Sugar,Sex ,Magic - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Layla and other assorted love songs - Eric Clapton

Some Girls - Rolling Stones 

There's a riot going on - Sly and the Family Stone

Led Zeppelin II

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings - John Prine

New Year (Live at Symphony Hall) - Tom Rush

Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull

Greatest Hits - Hank Williams (and I mean Hank The Man, not his brat kid)

Exile On Main Street - The Rolling Stones

Live at Carnagie Hall - The Clancy Brothers

O.K. I'll play. But what does this list tell you? I'm not sure, myself. Does it give you some indication as to what my musical tastes are? I don't see how. You asked for six albums. I did that but these are only a very few of my favorites. Ask me in ten minutes and I'll come up with a completely different list. In fact I could go on listing for an hour and I still don't think it would help. My "taste in music" is so wide and varied that it's impossible to pin down.

Or it might be that I have no taste at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

My first list had an example of Folk Rock/ Grunge ( Neil Young), 80's Heavy Metal (Scorpions), a 70's New Wave classic ( Elvis Costello ), 90's Alternative / Gothic ( Sisters Of Mercy),  90's Electronic / Industrial / Alternative ( Depeche Mode), 70's Prog-Metal / Hard Rock ( Deep Purple). 

I tried to lump all my favorite styles in 6 LPs...but left out Blues, Funk , Pure Folk, and Classical-Progressive. 

I tried to correct this with my second list...but didn't really get around to any Pure Blues artists....probably should have stuck a Buddy Guy or Eric Clapton in there.

I think I could explain my taste in music simply by stating that I like Rock, Folk, Blues, Punk, Heavy Metal, Grunge, New Wave, Funk,Glam, and Alternative... a little classical, a little country and some Jazz...mostly Jazz Rock Fusion.

...and that I hate Disco, Rap and most Modern Pop ( most older Pop too , I'm talking Captain and Tennille, Sonny and Cher and Tony Orlando and Dawn....yeeeucch!!!).

That would be the best way for me to describe it.

Some of my favorite albums and songs are not by my favorite artists, some are.....If I listed my favorite albums, I would confuse a lot of people. For example , 'Lights In The Night' by Flash In The Pan is one of my all time favorite albums....but so is 'Blizzard Of Ozz' by Ozzie. 'Dirty Laundry' by Don Henley is one of my all time favorite songs , but so is 'White Room' by Cream......Flash And The Pan and Don Henley would not be in my top 50 artists. David Bowie is one of my top 10 favorite artists, and the song 'Sweet Thing/ Candidate' is one of my top songs.

I could list favorite songs, favorite albums, favorite artists, but there may be a favorite song that is not by a favorite artist or on a favorite album. There may be favorite albums that do not have favorite songs on them.

This is extremely hard for me....I could list my favorite books or movies , but trying to encapsulate a taste in music with 6 albums is tougher...actually impossible.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Using 6 (or fewer) albums.  

This is meant to represent an overall summary of your taste in music, and not meant to dissect it, obviously.   But you know as well as I do, that even if you have eclectic taste, you favor certain aspects of rock music and gravitate to those first -- and maybe always have.   If someone looked at this short list, do you think they could get a grip on what your taste in music is like?

If you can be asked to name your favorite song (and some of you responded) by Sonics, then it's possible to summarize your taste with the generous offer of using 1/2 dozen albums to do so, isn't it?   Or is this a tougher? 

Wonderful question (no greatest hits etc., allowed, of course, right?).  Hi Yoga!  Best effort now, in no order:

• Minutemen - Double Nickles on the Dime
    • Monks - Black Monk Time
    • Rolling Stones - Exile on Main Street
    • Mummies - Foock CDs!  It's the Mummies!
    • Cynics - Rock'n'Roll
    • Lyres - On Fyre

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Kiki Gayan - 24 Hours in a Disco 1978 - 1982

The Undertones - The Undertones

Doug Dillard and Gene Clark - The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard and Clark

Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle

Frank Zappa - Chunga's Revenge

Kraftwerk - Autobahn

Simply six records stacked next to the computer in a row. There were a few more in the stack below but since I was only allowed 6 this is as representative as any other 6 in my collection. Other than the Undertones record it's hard to argue that any of the above albums are the artists best recording (Gayan's is a compilation).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Here goes:

Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East

Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live Rust

Talking Heads - The Name of this Band is Talking Heads

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Grateful Dead - The Closing Of Winterland

All of these would likely appear on my 'desert island' list.  My emphasis is centered around live performance, improvisation, and ambient distortion as opposed to genre.  I also like messy, ambitious, sprawling double- and triple-albums that belie bands' abilities to edit themselves.

Honorable Mentions would include The Last Waltz, Wish You Were Here, Blonde On Blonde, Physical Graffitti, London Calling, etc.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

REM - Murmur

The Pogues-Rum Sodomy and the Lash

The Clash - The Clash

the Smiths - Meat is Murdur

the Pixies - Surfer Rosa

the Jam - Setting Sons

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"Blue Lines" - Massive Attack

"Infinite Arms" - Band of Horses

"actually" - Pet Shop Boys

"Bloom" - Beach House

"Who's Next" - The Who

In the broadest sense, I'm drawn to ambient music, which now has more sub-genres than are worth the trouble, but my favorites seem to fall into trip-hop, synth-pop and that catch-all shoe-gazer, but lots of what I like isn't sleepy, it's got some kick.  I would easily stick Radiohead into the mix as well.    I can listen to the same song for 30 minutes.  :P   It's very hard to generate a meaningful definition of electronic music for the same reason, so I fall back on PSB as my benchmark for excellence.  Otherwise, my taste veers toward indie folk, rock and pop, and for overall 'real' rock, give me classic rock bands, so I chose the Who b/c they were the first that came to mind.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Nice to see lots of love for Exile on this board, even among very disparate tastes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings - John Prine

New Year (Live at Symphony Hall) - Tom Rush

Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull

Greatest Hits - Hank Williams (and I mean Hank The Man, not his brat kid)

Exile On Main Street - The Rolling Stones

Live at Carnagie Hall - The Clancy Brothers

O.K. I'll play. But what does this list tell you? I'm not sure, myself. Does it give you some indication as to what my musical tastes are? I don't see how. You asked for six albums. I did that but these are only a very few of my favorites. Ask me in ten minutes and I'll come up with a completely different list. In fact I could go on listing for an hour and I still don't think it would help. My "taste in music" is so wide and varied that it's impossible to pin down.

Or it might be that I have no taste at all.

If you listed for an hour, and absolutely no patterns began to emerge (and remember, you're selecting albums that you feel represent your taste, not albums that you haven't listened to in 10 years or more ...), that would have to mean that they bore no relationship to one another at all. 

Remember, this isn't mean to dissect every single aspect of what you like.  If you made a pie chart, for example, and you "like" classical music the way I do, yet, that was only 5-7% of what you owned, I wouldn't say that's a strong part of your musical taste.    Just one way of looking at it. 

It's just an exercise; I didn't say it was reasonable.  :D

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Gee, I sat on my post for a few minutes (had to leave the computer -- I was right after 'ccnsd' when I entered the thread), but I don't find some of these lists unpredictable at all, based on the many lists that have been generated in other threads.

In fact, they're quite succinct and true to form.  

I grant, however, that there are some people, such as Zilla, whose taste is not so much the issue, as it is the genuinely strong, positive feelings for a wide range of music.  However ...

As I just said, if you made a pie chart with all of the music you liked / collected / favored ... the pieces of the pie would indicate percentages, and regardless of how many pieces were there representing vast numbers of genres, or types of music,  very few people would end up with a pie chart that is evenly distributed, IMO.   

Therefore, while 6 albums was a fierce test, it's not "mission impossible." 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

I can't choose just six albums, but if I hard to choose words, I would use words like:

Organic

Soulful

Genuine

Non-Eletronic

Non-Technical or Orchestrated

Bite

This isn't acceptable.  :P    The words are generic and meaningless; for someone with consistenly strong opinions, I'm surprised you weren't able to construct a real list.  

Sections
Shortcuts