Re: Describe your taste in music

Europe 72 - The Dead

Unforgettable Fire - U2

Meat Is Murder- Smiths

People - Hothouse Flowers

Jar of Flies - Alice in Chains

Ten - Pearl Jam

Honorable mention: Kid A Radiohead.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WobertWedford. Show WobertWedford's posts

6 Albums isn't much to accurately give an impression of one's taste in music, I'd rather mention some of the artists, in no particular chronological order or of preference:

The Beatles (plus John Lennon's post Beatles work), Bob Dylan, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, The Who, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Eddie Cochran, Jerry Lee Lewis, Dr Feelgood, Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, Elvis Presley, Paul Simon, Muddy Waters, Everly Brothers, Dion ..... to name but a few.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to antibody's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings - John Prine

New Year (Live at Symphony Hall) - Tom Rush

Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull

Greatest Hits - Hank Williams (and I mean Hank The Man, not his brat kid)

Exile On Main Street - The Rolling Stones

Live at Carnagie Hall - The Clancy Brothers

O.K. I'll play. But what does this list tell you? I'm not sure, myself. Does it give you some indication as to what my musical tastes are? I don't see how. You asked for six albums. I did that but these are only a very few of my favorites. Ask me in ten minutes and I'll come up with a completely different list. In fact I could go on listing for an hour and I still don't think it would help. My "taste in music" is so wide and varied that it's impossible to pin down.

Or it might be that I have no taste at all.

[/QUOTE]

If you listed for an hour, and absolutely no patterns began to emerge (and remember, you're selecting albums that you feel represent your taste, not albums that you haven't listened to in 10 years or more ...), that would have to mean that they bore no relationship to one another at all. 

Remember, this isn't mean to dissect every single aspect of what you like.  If you made a pie chart, for example, and you "like" classical music the way I do, yet, that was only 5-7% of what you owned, I wouldn't say that's a strong part of your musical taste.    Just one way of looking at it. 

It's just an exercise; I didn't say it was reasonable.  :D

[/QUOTE]

In your OP you don't mention any kind of time line, although with the exception of Thick as a Brick I've recently listened to all of those listed (well, within the last few months), but if I like the music I don't see how when I've listened to it has a bearing on the conversation here. If you wish to set such parameters do so from the outset. Please don't change them mid-stream.

Having said that, this is the internet... being reasonable isn't a requirement.

And no, I'm not making any pie charts. :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm .... Pie Charts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Lost Dogs and Mixed Blessings - John Prine

New Year (Live at Symphony Hall) - Tom Rush

Thick As A Brick - Jethro Tull

Greatest Hits - Hank Williams (and I mean Hank The Man, not his brat kid)

Exile On Main Street - The Rolling Stones

Live at Carnagie Hall - The Clancy Brothers

O.K. I'll play. But what does this list tell you? I'm not sure, myself. Does it give you some indication as to what my musical tastes are? I don't see how. You asked for six albums. I did that but these are only a very few of my favorites. Ask me in ten minutes and I'll come up with a completely different list. In fact I could go on listing for an hour and I still don't think it would help. My "taste in music" is so wide and varied that it's impossible to pin down.

Or it might be that I have no taste at all.

[/QUOTE]

If you listed for an hour, and absolutely no patterns began to emerge (and remember, you're selecting albums that you feel represent your taste, not albums that you haven't listened to in 10 years or more ...), that would have to mean that they bore no relationship to one another at all. 

Remember, this isn't mean to dissect every single aspect of what you like.  If you made a pie chart, for example, and you "like" classical music the way I do, yet, that was only 5-7% of what you owned, I wouldn't say that's a strong part of your musical taste.    Just one way of looking at it. 

[/QUOTE]

In your OP you don't mention any kind of time line, although with the exception of Thick as a Brick I've recently listened to all of those listed (well, within the last few months), but if I like the music I don't see how when I've listened to it has a bearing on the conversation here. If you wish to set such parameters do so from the outset. Please don't change them mid-stream.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think you saw that I was just kidding ... sorry.  It's not meant to be taken that seriously.    This has nothing to do with age of albums, and my mention of "pie chart" wasn't meant literally, but more the idea that all the albums you own would probably not be evenly distributed, if you even *tried* to divide them (and that's not what I was asking).  

Believe it or not, because some of us have posted here for a very long time, and had hundreds of discussions (scary!), the responses make a lot of sense.  

As you saw, Zilla doesn't answer these questions, he refuses.   He has his reasons.  :D  You can refuse, too, in the future, with your own set of reasons.   :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

"Blue Lines" - Massive Attack

"Infinite Arms" - Band of Horses

"actually" - Pet Shop Boys

"Bloom" - Beach House

"Who's Next" - The Who

[/QUOTE]

Great list, btw, yoga...

Props also to including not one, but two releases from this century.

Like you, I'm drawn to 'electronic' music, but I didn't really have a good album fit for it in my list (Bowie's Low, maybe, but Blue Lines would have been close, too.).  As such, I listed Talking Heads, which I know you don't care for, but for me are influential to the genre both rhythmically and experientially (also via Brian Eno).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think you saw that I was just kidding ... sorry.  It's not meant to be taken that seriously.    This has nothing to do with age of albums, and my mention of "pie chart" wasn't meant literally, but more the idea that all the albums you own would probably not be evenly distributed, if you even *tried* to divide them (and that's not what I was asking).  

Believe it or not, because some of us have posted here for a very long time, and had hundreds of discussions (scary!), the responses make a lot of sense.  

As you saw, Zilla doesn't answer these questions, he refuses.   He has his reasons.  :D  You can refuse, too, in the future, with your own set of reasons.   :)

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry if I came off as being too serious. The last two lines of my post were meant to be funny. See that smiley after I mention pie charts? I was making a joke( :), LOL, kidding, etc.).  Oh, well, at least mojo got that. And I'm not refusing anything. It's just that I listen to so many types of music that, honestly, it seems to me at times that I have no taste. Again, I apologize. I meant no offense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gold and Platinum

Black Sabbath - We sold our souls for Rock and Roll

Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Neil Young - Decade

AC / DC - Highway to Hell

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"Bloom" - Beach House

"Who's Next" - The Who

[/QUOTE]

Great list, btw, yoga...

Like you, I'm drawn to 'electronic' music, but I didn't really have a good album fit for it in my list (Bowie's Low, maybe, but Blue Lines would have been close, too.).  As such, I listed Talking Heads, which I know you don't care for, but for me are influential to the genre both rhythmically and experientially (also via Brian Eno).

[/QUOTE]

To me Blue Lines is more important for historical reasons than quality reasons. I love Unfinished symphony and Safe from Harm but I actually consider their next 2 albums much better. While it "invented" a genre of music, or so it seemed at the time, I feel it was soon improved upon. I think Portishead's first album and Tricky's Maxinquaye are the best "trip hop" albums. Like Grunge the genre quickly became a bore with the weak copycats but for about 5 years this was probably the most interesting music made. I never understood why it could not make inroads on RnB/urban radio. If you want an album to represent "trip hop" (a truly horrible name) Blue Lines is probably the best choice since it is the wellspring. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

Human Sexual Response - Figure 14

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack

Edwyn Collins - Gorgeous George

Eric Claptin - Unplugged

The Cars - The Cars

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"Bloom" - Beach House

"Who's Next" - The Who

[/QUOTE]

Great list, btw, yoga...

[/QUOTE]

To me Blue Lines is more important for historical reasons than quality reasons. I love Unfinished symphony and Safe from Harm but I actually consider their next 2 albums much better. While it "invented" a genre of music, or so it seemed at the time, I feel it was soon improved upon. I think Portishead's first album and Tricky's Maxinquaye are the best "trip hop" albums. Like Grunge the genre quickly became a bore with the weak copycats but for about 5 years this was probably the most interesting music made. I never understood why it could not make inroads on RnB/urban radio. If you want an album to represent "trip hop" (a truly horrible name) Blue Lines is probably the best choice since it is the wellspring. 

[/QUOTE]

Good points, all.

Blue Lines and Mezzanine are like 1a and 1b for me - both pretty darn great, and Protection only slightly less so. (No Protection feels like a totally different experience to me.)

I usually include Morcheeba as another exemplar of the genre as well as later (post-trip-hop?) acts like Beth Orton and the Beta Band...the latter being one of my favorite also-rans of all time...they could have been much bigger, IMO.  I was given the BB's Champion Versions EP as a graduation present from an ex-gf.  (Some have referred to DJ Shadow's 'Endtroducing...' as trip-hop, but others' mileage may vary.)

When it comes to electronic music in general, I prefer more sultry ambient beats and a psychedelic edge (without the new age trappings).  One of the best in this style I can think of is Talk Talk's "Spirit Of Eden"...just a brilliant, crystalline record from start to finish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Since I already played the game like the good boy I am, I just want to say that I have two approaches to music. One, there are certain artists, like Howlin' Wolf, who I love so much that I collect everything I can get my hands on. These are a select few. Next in line are those I collect almost everything, but I discriminate more based on my opinion on each individual album. But what I really enjoy the most, are genre collections with various artists. This reminds me of a joke from the TV show Monk in which Monk said his favorite musical performer was "Various Artists". That's my favorite way to enjoy music. Some example are: The Chess Box, The Stax Box, box sets of 70's and 80's music, Surf instrumental collections, and especially the Nuggets box.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry if I came off as being too serious. The last two lines of my post were meant to be funny. See that smiley after I mention pie charts? I was making a joke( :), LOL, kidding, etc.).  Oh, well, at least mojo got that. And I'm not refusing anything. It's just that I listen to so many types of music that, honestly, it seems to me at times that I have no taste. Again, I apologize. I meant no offense.

[/QUOTE]
    No problem.  Look, I don't know you from a hole in the wall, but now at least I know not to be subtle in the future.    I create quite a number of threads here, and my attitude is, you win some, you lose some.  :)      

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Since I already played the game like the good boy I am, I just want to say that I have two approaches to music. One, there are certain artists, like Howlin' Wolf, who I love so much that I collect everything I can get my hands on. These are a select few. Next in line are those I collect almost everything, but I discriminate more based on my opinion on each individual album. But what I really enjoy the most, are genre collections with various artists. This reminds me of a joke from the TV show Monk in which Monk said his favorite musical performer was "Various Artists". That's my favorite way to enjoy music. Some example are: The Chess Box, The Stax Box, box sets of 70's and 80's music, Surf instrumental collections, and especially the Nuggets box.

[/QUOTE]
    Nice summary.   I've mentioned this before, but the mere idea of 'collections' or even 'greatest hits' albums were not on my radar particularly, until we discussed them on many occasions here.    That joke from "Monk" is very cute (although I am not familiar with  his character), sort of like saying that your favorite clothing line is "Made in Cambodia" or some such thing. :P

But I still think the joke your wife makes re: your music is the best  (if I remember correctly):  it sounds like one long song.   :D

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ironically, one of my favorite ways to find new music is via record label 'samplers' which come out every so often and are usually free.  I can't count how many young or overlooked bands I've found that way.

Ditto with soundtracks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"Bloom" - Beach House

"Who's Next" - The Who

[/QUOTE]

Great list, btw, yoga...

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Matty!  This turned into an interesting exercise (test?); what I realize is that while I like to think I am fairly open, my taste continues to be defined by these closely knit genres.   There has been good fortune in that the music, on a selective basis, keeps getting better.  

Lykke Li's, "Wounded Rhymes" is also one of my recent favorites as well.   And yet, I'm still very selective, as I don't want all my new adds to be too similar.  And I've had Morcheeba on the radar for a while, esp. since they released a new album last year (Polar got hold of it, if I recall correctly).  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"Bloom" - Beach House

"Who's Next" - The Who

[/QUOTE]

Great list, btw, yoga...

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Matty!  This turned into an interesting exercise (test?); what I realize is that while I like to think I am fairly open, my taste continues to be defined by these closely knit genres.   There has been good fortune in that the music, on a selective basis, keeps getting better.  

Lykke Li's, "Wounded Rhymes" is also one of my recent favorites as well.   And yet, I'm still very selective, as I don't want all my new adds to be too similar.  And I've had Morcheeba on the radar for a while, esp. since they released a new album last year (Polar got hold of it, if I recall correctly).  

[/QUOTE]

You're very welcome!

(I 'like' Lykke Li too...saw her on Jools Holland's show a couple of years ago.)

Two other thoughts just for you: 

Re: electronic music, you should really check out Talk Talk's last two albums "Spirit of Eden" and "Laughing Stock"...intense, ambient, heady stuff...great mood music.

And did you know Band of Horses is playing the Friday night lineup at Newport Folk this year...?  Thought you might be interested....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"Bloom" - Beach House

"Who's Next" - The Who

Great list, btw, yoga...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good points, all.

Blue Lines and Mezzanine are like 1a and 1b for me - both pretty darn great, and Protection only slightly less so. (No Protection feels like a totally different experience to me.)

I usually include Morcheeba as another exemplar of the genre as well as later (post-trip-hop?) acts like Beth Orton and the Beta Band...the latter being one of my favorite also-rans of all time...they could have been much bigger, IMO.  I was given the BB's Champion Versions EP as a graduation present from an ex-gf.  (Some have referred to DJ Shadow's 'Endtroducing...' as trip-hop, but others' mileage may vary.)

When it comes to electronic music in general, I prefer more sultry ambient beats and a psychedelic edge (without the new age trappings).  One of the best in this style I can think of is Talk Talk's "Spirit Of Eden"...just a brilliant, crystalline record from start to finish.

[/QUOTE]

The only Talk Talk album I own is Laughing Stock. I don't consider it electronic though. It was a daring album in it's non -comercialty (is that a word?). It's more Miles Davis electric or Pink Floyd than Kraftwerk and it's ilk. I believe the shortest song is about 5 minutes long on Laughing Stock. I actually prefer their pop stuff to their art stuff though their later albums are starting to climb up those top 100/1000 lists you see on occasion.

I like the Beta Band but they never produced a "great" album in my opinion and I think I own all of them (I have 4 including the  3 EPs comp). They goofed around a little too much for my liking. If you like the Beta Band you may like the Bees, or A Band of Bees as they are called in the the states. They shared the same American record label and I think it's obvious the Bees were influenced by the Beta band. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

"Bloom" - Beach House

"Who's Next" - The Who

Great list, btw, yoga...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good points, all.

[/QUOTE]

The only Talk Talk album I own is Laughing Stock. I don't consider it electronic though. It was a daring album in it's non -comercialty (is that a word?). It's more Miles Davis electric or Pink Floyd than Kraftwerk and it's ilk. I believe the shortest song is about 5 minutes long on Laughing Stock. I actually prefer their pop stuff to their art stuff though their later albums are starting to climb up those top 100/1000 lists you see on occasion.

I like the Beta Band but they never produced a "great" album in my opinion and I think I own all of them (I have 4 including the  3 EPs comp). They goofed around a little too much for my liking. If you like the Beta Band you may like the Bees, or A Band of Bees as they are called in the the states. They shared the same American record label and I think it's obvious the Bees were influenced by the Beta band. 

[/QUOTE]

I can relate to both points.

Perhaps 'ambient' is a better term for Talk Talk's later stuff..??  And I know some find their shift in tone and approach a bit fussy.  To me, it's striking in its beauty and clarity...shades of Eno's solo work and even maybe Peter Gabriel's Passion project.  When many new wave acts were getting tired, they kept it interesting, IMO.

Agreed too on Beta Band's lack of a single defining album.  The 3 EPs disc speaks to that; albums weren't their thing.  I'm weird in finding their rambling silliness endearing; they were never boring. Their eponymous album is weakest, but the rest all have flashes of greatness. ('Dry The Rain' hooked me from the start.)  They turned me on to the delightfully twisted Super Furry Animals.

I'll check out Band of Bees...thanks for the tip!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're very welcome!

(I 'like' Lykke Li too...saw her on Jools Holland's show a couple of years ago.)

Two other thoughts just for you: 

Re: electronic music, you should really check out Talk Talk's last two albums "Spirit of Eden" and "Laughing Stock"...intense, ambient, heady stuff...great mood music.

And did you know Band of Horses is playing the Friday night lineup at Newport Folk this year...?  Thought you might be interested....

[/QUOTE]

You've mentioned Talk Talk in a few contexts (in the past as well as recently), so I'll check them out further, as I don't have any depth of knowledge on them, other than a major hit or two.   Bands fron that era are so superior, so original.   Thanks.  

Just checked the Newport FF lineup (already early bird tkts are sold out ...) and did see that while the lineup is still a work in progress, Band of Horses is headlining.  It's doable, so I'll think about it.    We should do another thread on "Americana / Folk"  old and new, so much of it is part perception, too, b/c it's a broad category, but for me, BoH represents that category well insofar as indie folk goes.   

Electronic(a) is the same -- such a broad category now, and the various sub-categories associated with it, clones, derivatives, etc.   Not impossible to discuss, but it's wide open to interpretation.    Some electronic music even goes into the "classical" bin, although the purists have been arguing about whether it belongs on such 'sacred' ground for 50 years.  It should not be that traumatic for anyone to accept.  :) 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Nice to see lots of love for Exile on this board, even among very disparate tastes.

[/QUOTE]

'cause it's fooking brilliant, mate!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nice to see lots of love for Exile on this board, even among very disparate tastes.

[/QUOTE]

'cause it's fooking brilliant, mate!

[/QUOTE]

I'm in the minority here in that I've never even listened to it. Tumbling Dice is a great song, however.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hi DD.  You might appreciate this...I don't know if you know of Mike Stax, but he's a somewhat accomplished and admired musician in the Garage scene, but he's best known for what is probably the greatest fanzine ever, "Ugly Things".

If you have 18:06 to spare you might enjoy this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEP2iY7vneU