Did the Hippie culture of the late 60's/ early 70's give us anything good besides the music (assuming you like the music)?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Did the Hippie culture of the late 60's/ early 70's give us anything good besides the music (assuming you like the music)?

In Response to Re: Did the Hippie culture of the late 60's/ early 70's give us anything good besides the music (assuming you like the music)?:
    I've said for years drugs should be totally legal, from pot to heroin.  It is ridiculous to think that drugs being illegal is any kind of deterrent.  As with alcohol during prohibition, there is no way to stop any kind of drug making it's way to a consumer.  By keeping it illegal we tie up our police and court system,  Fill our prisons with non-violent offenders (I know there are a lot of killings which are drug related; and yes those people should spend so time in the service of the state)  And bankrupt out government while filling the coffers of the criminal which now run the underground drug business.  We have been trying to stop using the "war on drugs".  It hasn't worked in my life time and I don't see it coming to an end soon.  Legalize it, tax it and use the tax money to set up real rehab for those who choose to clean themselves up. Someone who is going to use heroin isn't going to not use it because it's not legal
    Posted by jkjband

Legalize heroin and then tax it. Really? I am thinking that is a bad idea. Shall we legalize crack and pcp as well?

Yes to Marijuana - there I will agree.

I don't wish to get into a debate over the issue of drugs, but as someone who basically lived 1972 - 1985 with the motto, "living life through better chemistry", I am hear to say that when it comes to drugs, the counter-culture was wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: Did the Hippie culture of the late 60's/ early 70's give us anything good besides the music (assuming you like the music)?

I won't rip apart music from any of the last 4 decades, what I will rip apart is radio and ways to find out about new music.  It's hard to hear quality new music without doing a lot of research/work.  And it has been that way for quite a while now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Did the Hippie culture of the late 60's/ early 70's give us anything good besides the music (assuming you like the music)?:
    I won't rip apart music from any of the last 4 decades, what I will rip apart is radio and ways to find out about new music.  It's hard to hear quality new music without doing a lot of research/work.  And it has been that way for quite a while now.
    Posted by jkjband

Agree with you here. Why are there only Classic Rock stations. I have all that music. Can I hear some of this new music, please.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I loved the F**kin 80's....well, what I actually remember form the decade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Tom Wolfe's book 'The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test' was a great book about the hippies, I thought.  It revolved around Ken Kesey and his Merry Pranksters, who may have been the quintessential hippies.  Kesey was the genuine article, a large-living man who believed that just about anything was possible, and almost proved it by writing a great novel, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, under the influence of hallucinogenics.

Wolfe's book is hysterically funny at times as it vividly conveys the drug-fueled experiences of the Pranksters.  At the end of the story, though, the 'Acid Test' of the title, which is basically a Grateful Dead show with LSD-spiked punch served up, turns out to be somewhat of a downer and you get the other image of the hippies as a bunch of lost kids wandering around, many of them having very bad trips.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The Hippie culture of the aforementioned time period was a very wide assortment of counter-culture beliefs and lifestyle.  One had to pick and choose.

CAVEAT  EMPTOR !

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

In Response to Re: Did the Hippie culture of the late 60's/ early 70's give us anything good besides the music (assuming you like the music)? : Legalize heroin and then tax it. Really? I am thinking that is a bad idea. Shall we legalize crack and pcp as well? Yes to Marijuana - there I will agree. I don't wish to get into a debate over the issue of drugs, but as someone who basically lived 1972 - 1985 with the motto, "living life through better chemistry", I am hear to say that when it comes to drugs, the counter-culture was wrong.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Yes I feel that it's a waste of time and money to try to stop it.  Make it difficult to get, keep it over 21, and offer real education and rehabilitation with money from taxation.  If you can tell me of any time period and any government that has been able to stop illicit drugs or alcohol (prohibition) I'm all ears.  Keeping it illegal does not deter someone who has chosen to use (Mick "Keith you should stop mainlining, you know it's against the law."  Keith, " Thanks for the tip mick, I didn't know it was illegal, I guess its wrong and won't do them any more")  I may be wrong but I don't see a conversation like that happening. 

I not saying that we should include heroin as it's own section of the food pyramid, I am well aware of its dangers and that it has no redeemable features, but neither do McDonald's French Fries, and I will venture to say that McDonald's FF have killed / injured more people than heroin has ever done.

Fighting illicit drugs they way we have been doing does not work and wastes a unimaginable amount of taxpayer money which could be used in much better ways. If someone wants to get/do any drug they really don't have any trouble getting them.  And when they do they are putting large sums of money in the hands of cartels / terrorists and other nasty people.  All I'm saying is it's time to think outside of the box on this issue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: Did the Hippie culture of the late 60's/ early 70's give us anything good besides the music (assuming you like the music)? : Agree with you here. Why are there only Classic Rock stations. I have all that music. Can I hear some of this new music, please.
    Posted by jesseyeric

jessey- i have all of said music on my computer at home. my email is in my profile, if you want me to send you some stuff just get in touch with me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Posted by jkjband

I very much agree. Radio was the place to hear new music until MTV. Then MTV stopped playing music, and radio never picked up the slack, choosing to satisfy the advertisers, who demand "safe, homogenized" music or they will pull the ads. There is no place anymore to sit back and hear new music. You have to search for it and where do you  start when you don't know the band names or song titles?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Did the Hippie culture of the late 60's/ early 70's give us anything good besides the music (assuming you like the music)? : I very much agree. Radio was the place to hear new music until MTV. Then MTV stopped playing music, and radio never picked up the slack, choosing to satisfy the advertisers, who demand "safe, homogenized" music or they will pull the ads. There is no place anymore to sit back and hear new music. You have to search for it and where do you  start when you don't know the band names or song titles?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

There is a place, Zilla, and I'm living in it.  We just got a new radio station here called Live 105 and they are playing the new rock stuff.  I just checked the last 7 songs they played and they were by Anberlin, Elias, The Gaslight Anthem, Alexisonfire, Moist, The Black Keys and The Chemical Brothers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The best "radio" is pandora.com.  create a radio station by selecting a band you like and let pandora turn you on to other music by similar bands.  I've bought so much music that I've heard through pandora.com.

I have a droid and can pick up pandora.com on it.  We headed down to North Carolina last summer and listened to pandora.com by piping it through my droid into the radio.  Never lost the connection.

Pandora is the best way that I can thing of to get exposure to new bands.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

the hippie culture of the late 60s/early 70s gave us Spaceman Eephus

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

the hippie culture of the late 60s/early 70s gave us Spaceman Eephus
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

And his very special pancakes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You guys are so smart.

You all make me so proud. The replies to this thread have gone beyond my wildest dreams and covered alot of ground.

Lots of terrific views and opinions on this subject. Thank you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i have been enlightened

Sections
Shortcuts