Did you see what I saw yesterday?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Did you see what I saw yesterday?

I felt like a nervous cat yesterday, running from window to window looking at the sky.   Were you near a window around 4:15 yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon?    Did you notice the surreal view?  Did you see the contrasting light?

I was so in awe.   I had no idea what was up; all I knew was that it was spectacular.  

I now know that it was due to the Aurora Borealis -- the Northern Lights -- yesterday.   The view would have been different for everyone, depending on where you're located, and I know I didn't see it in all its glory, but I do know the light in the sky was not a space ship (sorry Zilla) and was due to the aurora borealis.  

Anyone else?   And ...  any songs that relate?   :)

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Re: Did you see what I saw yesterday?

I missed the northern lights but at about the same time yesterday when leaving work there was one enormous rainbow in the eastern sky.  It required 3 photos to capture the whole thing.  So with all due respect to Judy Garland...

"Rainbow Connection" - Kermit

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

"I felt like a nervous cat yesterday"

Jed Clampett used to say "He was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a rocking chair factory"

I missed the Northern lights I'm sorry to say.As far as songs go,in "Space Truckin'",Deep Purple mentions that they "Danced around with Borealis".And then there's this song by Allison Krause "Northern Lights":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmSs7Apu9Cs

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Just to clarify ... I didn't see the aurora borealis that took place yesterday, but am taking "scientific license" in my presumption that what I saw (and I wasn't smoking anything at the time) was caused / a prelude of sorts, to the AB that did take place yesterday.   

I don't live any where near Mt. Washington or in that high an altitude.  :)   

The sky far, far off in the distance was the most beautiful sky blue I'd ever seen, and crisp.  The sky above was very bright, but colorless.  It's hard to describe.   Only lasted a few minutes before the entire landscape went dark.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

Harump.  I was heading west on Rt 2 about that time.   Totally missed it.  I did see those pictures atop Mt Washington that were briefly on the front page here this morning. Looked awesome. Drawing a blank on tunes,  but one of my favorite music stores is called "Northern Lights Music', up in Littleton NH.   Great town, Littleton. If anyone is up that way the Thayer Inn is a funky, relatively inexpensive place in downtown to stay at, they have a killer restaurant in the basement.  And down the block, one of the all time great dining experiences, a place called 'Tim-Bir Alley'.  

Slim, that's a great name for a music store.   One of the nicest aspects of New England is all the little unexpected haunts.   There's a Littleton, MA, (I assume you've heard of it); you might drive through it going west on your way home.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to gerbs' comment:

I missed the northern lights but at about the same time yesterday when leaving work there was one enormous rainbow in the eastern sky.  It required 3 photos to capture the whole thing.  So with all due respect to Judy Garland... "Rainbow Connection" - Kermit 

gerbs, I bet you anything that rainbow was related to the northern lights.  Everything sky-related was caused by it.    :D

Thought of a song:  Space Oddity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

"I felt like a nervous cat yesterday" Jed Clampett used to say "He was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a rocking chair factory"  I missed the Northern lights I'm sorry to say.As far as songs go,in "Space Truckin'",Deep Purple mentions that they "Danced around with Borealis".And then there's this song by Allison Krause "Northern Lights":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmSs7Apu9Cs 

Beautiful song (and video), but a different Alison (nice voice, too).    There are some other gorgeous videos on that page.   

The sky today, looks nothing like it did yesterday ... you have to believe me. :D  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

For you yoga......

http://weather.aol.com/2012/11/14/photos-northern-lights-dazzle-new-england-midwest/#photo=1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

" I felt like a nervous cat yesterday" Jed Clampett used to say "He was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a rocking chair factory"  I missed the Northern lights I'm sorry to say.As far as songs go,in "Space Truckin'",Deep Purple mentions that they "Danced around with Borealis".And then there's this song by Allison Krause "Northern Lights":   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmSs7Apu9Cs 

Beautiful song (and video), but a different Alison (nice voice, too).    There are some other gorgeous videos on that page.   

The sky today, looks nothing like it did yesterday ... you have to believe me. :D  

Oops,my bad.Allison Crowe,sorry about that. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The Band have an album titled Northern Lights - Southern Cross.

This song from the album has nothing to do with the Northern Lights, but what the hell, I love it. "It Makes No Difference"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctKlYHZOkUQ

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcAMB_jHXSc&feature=player_embedded

@Yoga, awesome site isn't it. My folks saw them as well in Central NH. We get them out West every now and then. The above video was taken outside of Seattle in September, a rare event for the City, when the Pac West experienced a brilliant and prolonged light show. When I lived above the 49th parallel, they were a more common occurance and the sky would appear almost green-yellow-purple-pink, and blue. 

@Slim-- Northern Lights is a fun store. There is also a great guitar shop in Ashland NH, called the Fret Shop. If you haven't been its a must.  Nice acoustics. Only place within miles to get guitar strings.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You've got a little more than a month to go before the UFOs arrive. If you even hear about it. It could be a covert operation.

These extraterrestrials are literally light years ahead of this primitive planet. They have kept their intentions a secret for centuries.

All I know is I welcome any intelligent lifeforms to come here and repair the damage we've already done. I fear it may be too late. I think our reliance on machines, gadgets, weapons and such has sounded the galactic fire alarm .... and we need to get back to basics or life as we know it will be over.

...or maybe the Mayans just didn't know how to count so good. I guess we'll soon find out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I know the MA Littleton.  Bought my new mandolin at 'The Minor Chord' actually, and take my car to the Toyota dealer across the street.   Both these places used to be in Acton.   I like the NH Littleton more though. 

I had to go google Ashland NH,  couldn't place it.  We're up in that neck of the woods all the time, either peak bagging or skiing.   Mostly we're whipping by on the highway actually,  but there are all those Waterville Valley peaks we haven't done yet.  And we keep trying to catch a show at the Flying Monkey,  but have been shutout everytime.  Hiatt came and  I saw a good 2 months in advance, and still no dice.  Steve Earle was up there too, and I don't think that sold out, but the timing didn't quite work.  And I still had a bad taste in my mouth from the poor show he put on at the Music Circus.

Got home around 10 last night.  Lots of stars.  Orion has started showing up again (I only know 2 constellations, probably like most people).  But  no Northern Lights. 

The Monkey is a popular place. Not a lot of live music options in that area that feature well known musicans, so it can be a tough ticket. There are some great open mikes if you have the urge. The Lucky Dog Tavern in Plymouth, and the Common Man in Ashland are two of the best.  The foods not bad at either.

You should take the Waterville exit one of these days. There are some really nice hikes in and around the Valley and along the Mad, and Pemigwasset Rivers. The view of the White and Green Mountains from the Mount Osceola trail (peak) is spectacular.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

" I felt like a nervous cat yesterday" Jed Clampett used to say "He was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a rocking chair factory"  I missed the Northern lights I'm sorry to say.As far as songs go,in "Space Truckin'",Deep Purple mentions that they "Danced around with Borealis".And then there's this song by Allison Krause "Northern Lights":   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmSs7Apu9Cs 

By the way,did you happen to notice that she performed this in Durness,Scotland at the "John Lennon Northern Lights Festival"

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

You should take the Waterville exit one of these days. There are some really nice hikes in and around the Valley and along the Mad, and Pemigwasset Rivers. The view of the White and Green Mountains from the Mount Osceola trail (peak) is spectacular.

Yup, we're looking at Osceola and East Osceola on one hike, late next spring or early summer.   I hear the east peak doesn't have much of a view, but it's on 'the list' so we gotta do it too.  Just a matter of approaching from the Kancamangus or the Waterville Valley side.   Sounds like we need to visit Ashland and checkout some of those places, so the WV is the early favorite!

Bump

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bombah. Show bombah's posts

I thought of Pochohantas by Neil Young

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Yup, we're looking at Osceola and East Osceola on one hike, late next spring or early summer.   I hear the east peak doesn't have much of a view, but it's on 'the list' so we gotta do it too.  Just a matter of approaching from the Kancamangus or the Waterville Valley side.   Sounds like we need to visit Ashland and checkout some of those places, so the WV is the early favorite!

The views from East Osceola are wooded, but not all that bad with some nice views of North Peak and Waterville Valley from the summit.  It's a fun climb, but it can be really muddy depending on when you go, and it's really steep in some places   The Greely Pond trail off the Kangamangus to the Mt. Osceola trail is the way to go imo.  It's a nice, long hike and has some of the best views of the Sandwich and Tripyramids along the way. Enjoy!

There is a  good hiking and climbing forum called Views From The Top  Not sure if you are a member, if not you should check it out. Some really great folks are members and there is just about anything and everything here regarding back-country and regular skiing, hiking, food camping, weather, and trail conditions, photos, group hikes etc.. I use this forum all the time to stay connected, and when planning any kind excusion in the Northeast. A great resource and a lot of fun.

Sorry, now back to the music....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcAMB_jHXSc&feature=player_embedded @Yoga, awesome site isn't it. My folks saw them as well in Central NH. We get them out West every now and then. The above video was taken outside of Seattle in September, a rare event for the City, when the Pac West experienced a brilliant and prolonged light show. When I lived above the 49th parallel, they were a more common occurance and the sky would appear almost green-yellow-purple-pink, and blue.  

Thank you, that is gorgeous.    And thanks for bumping the thread, Polar; I didn't expect to get that much traction from it, but thought that surreal nature and music make a good combination.  In this instance, nature won over music.  

I'm not a big fan of cold weather, TBH, and don't go out of my way to be outdoors more than necessary in the winter months.   The kid who used to go sledding for hours and hours and go home soaked and half frozen (*me*)  is an awe-inspiring, but distant memory.   I used to skate, too, and while I was never better than average, I loved it and had a ball.   We used to skate on a lake (legal), under the sky / outdoors, too, and I'd stay until I felt like an ice block.   I was very intrepid as a kid, and nothing bothered me.  :) 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

By the way,did you happen to notice that she performed this in Durness,Scotland at the "John Lennon Northern Lights Festival" 

Nice tie in to music w/the northern lights.  :)    Also an inspiring time to have a music festival under the stars.   There seems to be a festival to celebrate just about everything, if you're persistent enough (and have the time) to find it.   

Sections
Shortcuts