Dinosaur Jr.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Dinosaur Jr.

Any fans out there? I was really into these guys in the '90s and have rediscoved them. For my money, it doesn't get much better than "Get Me." Never thought J Mascis got enough recognition for his talents, especially his guitar.

Always had terrific album cover art, too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Frank N Stein. Show Frank N Stein's posts

Re: Dinosaur Jr.

One of the real good "forgotten bands of the Alternative era.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

So why do you want to like them?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Great band. Coming to Paradise soon as well.. J. Mascias has a great voice for thier type of music. Big fan

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

They released a new album a few weeks ago;  saw it in Newbury Comics.  

"I Bet on Sky, Dinosaur Jr.'s 10th studio album, knows where its strengths lie: namely, in volume, particularly when Mascis lets his guitars speak and shout on his behalf. The album tosses in more than enough surprises to stave off monotony — keyboards in the album-opening "Don't Pretend You Didn't Know," Barlow's lead vocals in "Rude" and "Recognition" — but it's still bound to please Dinosaur Jr. fans accustomed to a vital, wiry sound built on guitars, Mascis' distinctive whine, and more guitars."

Same approx. era, I prefer Sebadoh.  Hey, bellhorn, is that pretentious enough for ya??  :)  booyah.  

A bit more and a pic -- heed the part about the ear plugs.   Too bad the audio was taken down -- Romney must have pulled the plug ... heh hahahah.   

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/09/160628084/first-listen-dinosaur-jr-i-bet-on-sky

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Big fan of Dino Jr. and J. Mascis & The Fog.  Classic alt noise rockers extraordinaires.  The local connection never hurt, either.  "Start Choppin" belongs on a best-of 90s comp somewhere, and their cover of "Just Like Heaven" beats the original, for me.

They're part of the family I call "glorious noise"...artful feedback, alternate tunings, shredding guitars, avant garde cred.  Sebadoh/Sentridoh, too, but also Sonic Youth, Ride, Catherine Wheel, My Bloody Valentine, etc.

Dinosaur Jr. paid plenty of dues before being lumped in with the 90s alt crowd they helped birth.  I saw one story recently in which J. said he was asked to join Nirvana not once, but twice!  Sounds a bit like Kurt was looking for some of the indie, lo-fi mojo he thought they lost.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Never freaking heard of them.  I am old, out of touch and irrelevant.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Nope.  :) 

Dinosaur Jr. are originally from western MA, and are well-known indie artists to us; eventhough you are an honorary Bostonian, it would have been a stretch for you to have heard of them.    They made it on alt radio, too, when there *was* alt radio in Boston. 

J Mascis and Lou Barlow are very well-known here.   

One thing I was going to ask you, though re: a Canadian underground band:

Do you have any familiarity with Nomeansno?   They're from the opposite coast of Canada, therefore, not "local" to you in any way, but Canadian none the less.   They come up in lots of discussions about great punk bands, and have popularity in Europe as well as across Canada.    Here's your chance to prove you are relevant.  :P

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'm an old fogey, but I do remember when they were around. Their type of music doesn't interest me, from the little bit I have heard it. I never even got into the most popular of the alt/indie music of those times. Just not my bag, I guess. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I haven't listened to them in a while, but I have about 4 or 5 Dinosaur Jr. CDs.

They remind me alot of me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Nope.  :) 

Dinosaur Jr. are originally from western MA, and are well-known indie artists to us; eventhough you are an honorary Bostonian, it would have been a stretch for you to have heard of them.    They made it on alt radio, too, when there *was* alt radio in Boston. 

J Mascis and Lou Barlow are very well-known here.   

One thing I was going to ask you, though re: a Canadian underground band:

Do you have any familiarity with Nomeansno?   They're from the opposite coast of Canada, therefore, not "local" to you in any way, but Canadian none the less.   They come up in lots of discussions about great punk bands, and have popularity in Europe as well as across Canada.    Here's your chance to prove you are relevant.  :P

Haven't heard of Nomeansno either.  I'm staying irrelevant here. :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Speaking of Canadian bands...

I happened across a mix of The Watchmen recently that appears to be from the late 90s, and I've been really enjoying it.  Pleasant, unobtrusive, unassuming rock...good stuff...almost like a less goofy, harder, more interesting version of BNL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I like Canadian Indy band King Kahn & BBQ show from Montreal

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

So Bellhorn, do you like them?

Sections
Shortcuts