Dion and the Belmonts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Dion and the Belmonts

Okay guys - I know this one seems a litte weird coming from me, especially since he pre-dates my interest in music by a generation or two. But I bring him into the conversation anyway because he comes from my old neighborhood and basically grew up with my sisters.

Dion was very big during the Doo-Wop and corner singing groups era. His band started in a neighborhood in the Bronx known as the Belmont Section aka "Little Italy" or "Arthur Avenue". He is widely known for Runaround Sue and The Wanderer. He made a slight comeback in the late 60's with a record which referred to the deaths of US political and civic leaders; MLK and the Kennedy Bros. He was elected in to the RnR Hall of Fame. He has been credited with influencing singing groups like Simon and Garfunkel.

Now I know most of us come from the generation of guitar driven, blues influenced Rock. But does a band like this deserve to be in our discussion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: Dion and the Belmonts

"But does a band like this deserve to be in our discussion." 

On a day where we already have 2 bands featured that everybody knows about, why not throw in a band that you have to look up, especially since they're in the RnR Hall Of Fame. 

I looked this band up and Where Or When was their top hit. Good relaxing song.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

He wasn't backed by the Belmonts anymore when he did "Runaround Sue" and "The Wanderer". It was just Dion. He was back by a group called the Del-Satins.

My favorite song with the Belmonts was "Teenager in Love". Not on my all time favorite list, but decent for the time, which was actually a little before my time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Dion and the Belmonts:
    [QUOTE]He wasn't backed by the Belmonts anymore when he did "Runaround Sue" and "The Wanderer". It was just Dion. He was back by a group called the Del-Satins. My favorite song with the Belmonts was "Teenager in Love". Not on my all time favorite list, but decent for the time, which was actually a little before my time.
    Posted by MikeNagy[/QUOTE]

Thank you for correcting me Mike. I said they were before my time and to be honest, I never really appreciated the music all that much. So to me, everything is Dion and the Belmonts, but thinking on it, I know you are correct.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well, these guys were before even me.

Here's an odd bit of trivia no one but me will care about: Runaraound Sue was actually number one on the charts the day I was born. 

But even when I was growing up you couldn't get away (although you'd better keep away) from Runaround Sue. What I remember most clearly about Dion was that he introduced me to the idea of taking your hit song and simply changing the words a little to produce yet another hit, which he did with Lovers Who Wander a year later. Apparently there was a lot of wandering and running around going on in the early '60s.

It's odd to think back on a time when these guys were considered the avatar of cool.

Of course, I look at the musicians my children admire and simply shake my head, the way my parents did at me.

I guess we're not really supposed to get each other, now that I think of it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I like Dion probably because I absolutely love Doo-Wop. The music was before my time but much of my favorite music is 50's rock and Doo-Wop. There is a feeling and spirit to this music that has never really been captured again, except maybe a bit by the Beatles early songs. The more straightforward emotions of 50's pop and rock really hits home with me. I love a good rousing rocker as well as a dreamy romantic ballad.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

A book was written based on Dion's song The Wander by Richard Price which was then turned into a movie. I only mention that because I felt like dropping another name from my childhood. Price was a schoolmate of one of my sisters and one of the scenes in the movie was an exaggerated situation which took place at my house.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"Runaround Sue" ....great song.

I'll limit my comment as I am not very familiar with this artist.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Meh...they don't really do much for me. 

I love classic R&B, esp. Motown/Stax, but doo-wop stretches it a little thin, IMO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]Meh...they don't really do much for me.  I love classic R&B, esp. Motown/Stax, but doo-wop stretches it a little thin, IMO.
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

I read that Frank Zappa had an affection for doo-wop. I love his doo-wop take-offs.

I also love classic R&B, Soul, Motown/Stax. I am a pop music fan as well so maybe doo-wop is just too "Lite" for you. To me, it is fun pop music.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dion and the Belmonts : I read that Frank Zappa had an affection for doo-wop. I love his doo-wop take-offs. I also love classic R&B, Soul, Motown/Stax. I am a pop music fan as well so maybe doo-wop is just too "Lite" for you. To me, it is fun pop music.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Yes, he did, though they weren't my favorites.  As did the guys in Steely Dan, too, but my fandom never really bridged those gaps in appreciation.  Maybe it's my age showing....

Classic Rock is one thing, but much of the late 50s/early 60s pop is lost on me.  I mean, Ray Conniff and Perry Como were "pop" back then, too.  I'll take Chuck Berry any day....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dion and the Belmonts : Yes, he did, though they weren't my favorites.  As did the guys in Steely Dan, too, but my fandom never really bridged those gaps in appreciation.  Maybe it's my age showing.... Classic Rock is one thing, but much of the late 50s/early 60s pop is lost on me.  I mean, Ray Conniff and Perry Como were "pop" back then, too.  I'll take Chuck Berry any day....
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

Yes, I love Chuck Berry too. But doo-wop is much closer to Chuck Berry than it is to Ray Conniff or Perry Como.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

Dion was one of the more prominent rock and rollers back in the 50's and 60's.  According to the Norm N. Nite Rock On Almanac, he had 6 top ten hits with the Belmonts and 13 top ten hits without them.  Norm N. Nite is a well respected DJ from Cleveland and later was big in New York City.  His almanac, which has a Foreword by Dick Clark, takes into account how highly rated a song was all across the country for any given month.  Top ten hits with the Belmonts: I Wonder Why, No One Knows, Don't Pitty Me, A Teenager In Love, Where Or When and When You Wish Upon A Star.  Dion without the Belmonts and mostly with the Del Satins: Lonely Teenager, Runaround Sue, Havin' Fun, The Wanderer/The Majestic, Lovers Who Wander, Little Diane, Sandy, Love Came To Me, Ruby Baby, Donna The Prima Donna, Drip Drop, Abraham Martin And John, And The Night Stood Still.  There could have been other charted hits that were not top ten.   

Sections
Shortcuts