Do you have some favorite songs that fall outside the realm of Rock?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Do you have some favorite songs that fall outside the realm of Rock?

I know that this forum is dominated by Rock music fans. It is my primary love in terms of music.

I do have quite a few songs that I consider very much my favorites that fall outside of what we classify as 'Rock.'

I would not consider many Beatles songs to be Rock, but the Beatles are classified as a "Rock group" , so if you had gone to a record shop back in the days when we had such places, the Beatles music would all be categorized under 'Rock.' This includes 'Eleanor Rigby', which does not fall into that category. But , we still consider it a Rock song as it is on a Rock album by a Rock Group.

These are some songs that I listen to frequently and really, really love that are not Rock songs and are not made by Rock artists:

'Papa Was a Rolling Stone' by the Temptations.

'King Of The Road' by Roger Miller.

'What I'd Say' by Ray Charles.

'One Piece At A Time' by Johnny Cash.

'Ode To Billy Joe' by Bobby Gentry.

Do you have favorites that are not rock songs or songs by artist considered "Rock artists?"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Do you have some favorite songs that fall outside the realm of Rock?

There are so many of them.

But if I had to choose just one, it would be Sinatra's recording of

It Was a Very Good Year.

I would love to see if some band can turn this into a power ballad.

FTR - I consider Motown and the Temps as part of the RnR genre.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Good call on Ode To Billy Joe, one of my favorites has always been Yama by The Jazz Messengers. Also In The Mood. Edited to include youtube links.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have some favorite songs that fall outside the realm of Rock?:
    There are so many of them. But if I had to choose just one, it would be Sinatra's recording of It Was a Very Good Year. I would love to see if some band can turn this into a power ballad. FTR - I consider Motown and the Temps as part of the RnR genre.
    Posted by jesseyeric

While many of the songs by Motown artists do contain Rock elements and are not far removed from the Rock genre, if you listen carefully to 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone' ...they are not singing about Mick, Keith or Charlie. The song has great horns , strings and a scratchy rhythm guitar that is more Jazz than Rock. The vocals are sung in a style very different from that in Rock with different singers switching off from the lead. While many of the Temptations songs may be categorized in the Rock style, I still consider them a Soul act and wouldn't categorize them as 'Rock.'

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Well, when I was a youngster I did buy a couple of Sinatra 45's, 'My Way' and 'Something Stupid', a Glen Campbell 45, 'Galveston', and a Roy Clark 45, 'Yesterday When I Was Young'.  I liked all that stuff.  I even used to listen my folks' Harry Belafonte live album quite a bit. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I have never been much of a Country Music guy, but Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson have some songs that I really like. The Theme from Dukes Of Hazzard and 'Ladies Love Outlaws' are songs that I do like.

'Behind Closed Doors' by Charlie Rich is a very nice song also.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

My brother had a bunch of country & western records that I listened to a lot.  Gene Pitney's 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance'.  Johnny Horton's 'Sink the Bismarck'.

I became a big Johnny Cash fan at one point.  Loved the Folsom Prison and San Quentin albums.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

A few of my favorite non-rock songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UZhPKydKcY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D44pyeEvhcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Nq4NUSD4U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hEYwk0bypY&feature=related

And a country western song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3VN54M1OXA&feature=related

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Good calls all mrmojo. I especially liked the dominoes tune.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

He stopped loving her today, George Jones.... If you dont like this song I question if you like any music, or have a soul.

I like so many kinds of music I would guess this is the wrong topic for me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Jimmie Dale Gilmore -- all of the Spinning Around the Sun album, but especially this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIgg_QjJCxQ

Also Amos Lee ("Mission Bell" album -- esp. the song "Learned a Lot") and John Doe ("Keepers" album) are more country than RnR -- they're both in heavy rotation on my ipod right now.

I like a lot of country, jazz, RnB ('Retha!), standards (Ella!), Latin (Rodrigo y Gabriela, deSol) and Native American (ex:  the soundtrack from "Smoke Signals" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WEVtwQnU9w )

Some of these cross over to Rock-n-Roll, some don't -- they just sound good to me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Also Amos Lee. Amos Moses.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have some favorite songs that fall outside the realm of Rock?:
    Jimmie Dale Gilmore -- all of the Spinning Around the Sun album, but especially this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIgg_QjJCxQ Also Amos Lee ("Mission Bell" album) and John Doe ("Keepers" album) are more country than RnR -- they're both in heavy rotation on my ipod right now. I like a lot of country, jazz, RnB ('Retha!), standards (Ella!), Latin (Rodrigo y Gabriela, deSol) and Native American (ex:  the soundtrack from "Smoke Signals" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WEVtwQnU9w ) Some of these cross over to Rock-n-Roll, some don't -- they just sound good to me.
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich
    Jimmie Dale Gilmore.  You just have to love the Flatlanders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have some favorite songs that fall outside the realm of Rock? : Jimmie Dale Gilmore.  You just have to love the Flatlanders.
    Posted by carnie

I am a huge Joe Ely fan.  I didn't know much about the Flatlanders until you mentioned them and I looked them up.  I love Joe Ely's version of Dallas.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have some favorite songs that fall outside the realm of Rock? : I am a huge Joe Ely fan.  I didn't know much about the Flatlanders until you mentioned them and I looked them up.  I love Joe Ely's version of Dallas.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut
    Joe Ely, see? there's a reason that folks call the flatlanders the country beatles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

pachelbel canon in d Major

She Moved through the faire

Johnny Has Gone For a Soldier'

Ashokan farewell

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have some favorite songs that fall outside the realm of Rock? : Jimmie Dale Gilmore.  You just have to love the Flatlanders.
    Posted by carnie

I have The Flatlanders' "Now Again" cd, but I have to admit the songs I like the most are the ones that seem to be Jimmie Dale's.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Writing about the Smoke Signals soundtrack reminded me of another soundtrack that I love which is also not RnR:  "Local Hero" by Mark Knopfler.  That soundtrack really pulls you into that movie and wraps you completely into that world.  Plus it's wonderful without the movie too.  I think that's one album I have on both vinyl and cd (and loaded onto my ipod, too).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

pachelbel canon in d Major She Moved through the fare Johnny Has Gone For soldier' Ashokan farewll
    Posted by polar123
    I'll have to go with Greg's comment to me when I mention classical, Polar .. but is the Pachelbel Canon really a song?  Just kidding.  :)   It's a beautiful piece, whether it's a song or not.   
    One of my favorites is Debussy's "Clare de Lune" (even if it's not considered a song ...)

Loreena McKennitt, blue grass songbird Allison Krauss (universal appeal), Eva Cassidy, Sarah McLachlan, Nick Drake, Chris Isaak, all of the ambient music that I love, Celtic music, and another of my true loves of course, A cappella-- the list goes on and on for miles.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It's corny I know, but I've always loved Eine Kleine Nachtmusic.l

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Do you have some favorite songs that fall outside the realm of Rock? : While many of the songs by Motown artists do contain Rock elements and are not far removed from the Rock genre, if you listen carefully to 'Papa Was A Rolling Stone' ...they are not singing about Mick, Keith or Charlie. The song has great horns , strings and a scratchy rhythm guitar that is more Jazz than Rock. The vocals are sung in a style very different from that in Rock with different singers switching off from the lead. While many of the Temptations songs may be categorized in the Rock style, I still consider them a Soul act and wouldn't categorize them as 'Rock.'
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I know Zilla - still, Motown created  a genre and this is one of the great songs of that genre.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The world's greatest rock n' roll band plays what?.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPS6fttq0C8

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Don't tell anyone but there's some ABBA S**t I love.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Well, this is coming from out there and is quite vague. My parents had a record or cassette. Cannot recall the band's name other than it may have included the word "band". There was some sort of folksy / sort of something else with Jagger as guest singer. There was a song with Sting (otherwise, cringe...) singing half in English, half in Gaelic. And then there was a song with a woman singer, including some line about soldiers with long guns or something. I think I liked the sound, but it was too long ago for any definite memories. It definitely wasn't rock. Matty?
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

You might be thinking of the album that came out in 1995 "Long Black Veil" by The Chieftans.
    There's some pretty influential rockers that participated on the album.Jagger sang the title song "Long black veil".The Sting song is "Mo Ghile Mear" (and old Irish song which translates roughly to "My gallant darling").The album also included songs with Marianne Faithfull,Ry Cooder,Van Morrison.Mark Knopfler,Tom Jones,Sinead O'Connor and a song with the Rolling Stones. 
      Here's a link to the Chieftans website with the song listing and samples:
    http://www.thechieftains.com/discography/disc_longblackveil.asp

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The world's greatest rock n' roll band plays what?..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPS6fttq0C8
    Posted by devildavid
    I still like this version better. Probably because it features the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section, Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn and Willie Hall.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCTJeT2i9QU

Sections
Shortcuts