Does Katy Perry have staying power?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL5000. Show AL5000's posts

Re: Does Katy Perry have staying power?

In Response to Does Katy Perry have staying power?:
    [QUOTE]Does pop singer Katy Perry have what it takes to stay relevant in the long run? Weigh in with your thoughts on the performer here.
    Posted by BDCAEStaff[/QUOTE]

No.  She is ridiculous.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jay8852. Show jay8852's posts

As soon as her career slows down she can move into my house.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thanos73. Show Thanos73's posts

Nope, she is completely offensive in her lyrics. Listen to Ur So Gay, one of her songs. Go back to writting christian pop songs loser!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50Otis. Show 50Otis's posts

Be serious.  She has one pop hit with a catchy lyric, but she's been horrid any time she's appeared on TV.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mggio. Show mggio's posts

No, I can't wait for her to go away. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovewings. Show ilovewings's posts

She is very unique with lots of energy; will she endure over time? probably not but she doesn't care about that; she is all about now and now she is hot

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PruTower. Show PruTower's posts

I hope she sticks around for a good long time. She has good music and great stage presence. Not to mention she it HOT!!!

I wish more girls would adopt that 1950's/60's clean-sexy look she loves.

She's got a great personality too. Funny and cute.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Who?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 221bbaker. Show 221bbaker's posts

Depends on the continuing strength of her (self written / collaboration) pop songs...she's hot, she's got a strong work ethic, funky sense of fashion/ staging and easy to take personality...hell when you think of it that's more attributes than Carly Simon, Cher or Carole King started out with..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from erinwm. Show erinwm's posts

Ugh.  I hope not.  What a waste of space.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

She will be on some celebrity has been reality show in a couple years.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

If she gains about 20 pounds her career will be over.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Arggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!

What's next, a Lady Gaga thread?

Kate Perry is a pretty chick with some pop sensibility. Whether she lasts will completely depend on her. I would have bet a zillion $ that Madonna would not have lasted, but then MTV hit and she was in for life. Let's see if Kate is as smart as Madonna.

FYI - I think the music blows, but she is hot.

An hour ago I was talking about the Beatles and now I am commenting on this. Either I need to get with the times or bands and musicians that are emerging now need to listen to the music that came way before them and get truly inspired.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EngineerChic. Show EngineerChic's posts

I hope she lasts longer than Lady GaGa (she makes me want to gag gag).  Her songs are pure pop, what's the harm?  As long as she doesn't go all Madonna and get too serious about herself, that is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Who?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAC12345. Show SAC12345's posts

I don't think so. She just doesn't have "it". Lady Gaga has it. But Katy Perry, does not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Does Katy Perry have staying power?:
    [QUOTE]I don't think so. She just doesn't have "it". Lady Gaga has it. But Katy Perry, does not.
    Posted by SAC12345[/QUOTE]

And exactly what is that which Lady Gaga has? It certainly isn't originality in how she looks. She pretty much ripped off Dale Bozio of Missing Person's in the stage look. She doesn't have much of a voice.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAC12345. Show SAC12345's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Katy Perry have staying power? : And exactly what is that which Lady Gaga has? It certainly isn't originality in how she looks. She pretty much ripped off Dale Bozio of Missing Person's in the stage look. She doesn't have much of a voice.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

She has a few things. First is she can write good songs. Woman's a song machine and that is hard to come by. Second is she is a great lyricist. Good word play and just a clear understanding of internal rime schemes...that sort of things. Third is her voice is good in the following way: it has a raw power and sexiness that a lot of men find appealing. And she has shown, when she wants to, she can belt some wind through those pipes. As a former choir man myself, I have to say, while she is no Sarah Brightman, she is a skilled singer.

But the big reason Kate perry doesn't have staying power while gaga does is this:

Kate Perry's message is "look what I am doing, did I shock you?" She embodies the 2000s.

Gaga's message is "look at people like Kate Perry. Watch me mock how silly they are (for those who haven't got on, her whole routine and subject matter is all tongue in cheek--if you don't believe listen to Just Dance and feel the irony of the lyrics)" She embodies a critique of excess and self indulgance.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Katy Perry have staying power? : She has a few things. First is she can write good songs. Woman's a song machine and that is hard to come by. Second is she is a great lyricist. Good word play and just a clear understanding of internal rime schemes...that sort of things. Third is her voice is good in the following way: it has a raw power and sexiness that a lot of men find appealing. And she has shown, when she wants to, she can belt some wind through those pipes. As a former choir man myself, I have to say, while she is no Sarah Brightman, she is a skilled singer. But the big reason Kate perry doesn't have staying power while gaga does is this: Kate Perry's message is "look what I am doing, did I shock you?" She embodies the 2000s. Gaga's message is "look at people like Kate Perry. Watch me mock how silly they are (for those who haven't got on, her whole routine and subject matter is all tongue in cheek--if you don't believe listen to Just Dance and feel the irony of the lyrics)" She embodies a critique of excess and self indulgance.

Thank you Sac - this was actually a very insightful read. Now can they both please just go away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAC12345. Show SAC12345's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Katy Perry have staying power? : Thank you Sac - this was actually a very insightful read. Now can they both please just go away.

That was my first reaction to lady gaga. I am more of a rocker, than a pop music afficionado. But because I used to be a musician, I noticed Gaga has some quality material, and interesting subtext to her music. I strongly urge you to listen very closely to just dance. The song is very ironic, almost in a folk song kind of way. At first listen it sounds like she is saying, its great to party, let's just dance. But if you pay attention, all these horrible things are happening to her because she is giving into empty pleasures at a dance club (she even hints that she just got raped). It is really about the plight of modern feminism in an age of reality TV and non stop partying. Here are the lyrics:

I?ve had a little bit too much, much
    All of the people start to rush, start to rush by
    How does he twist the dance? Can?t find a drink, oh man
    Where are my keys? I lost my phone, phone

What?s going on on the floor?
    I love this record baby but I can?t see straight anymore
    Keep it cool, what?s the name of this club?
    I can?t remember but it?s alright, a-alright

Just dance, gonna be okay, da da doo-doo-mmm
    Just dance, spin that record babe, da da doo-doo-mmm
    Just dance, gonna be okay, d-d-d-dance
    Dance, dance, just, j-j-just dance

Wish I could shut my playboy mouth, oh oh oh-oh
    How?d I turn my shirt inside out? Inside outright
    Control your poison babe, roses have thorns they say
    And we?re all getting hosed tonight, oh oh oh-oh

What?s going on on the floor?
    I love this record baby but I can?t see straight anymore
    Keep it cool, what?s the name of this club?
    I can?t remember but it?s alright, a-alright

Dance, dance, just, j-j-just

When I come through on the dance floor checkin? out that catalog
    Can?t believe my eyes, so many women without a flaw
    And I ain?t gon? give it up, steady tryin? to pick it up like a car
    I?ma hit it, I?ma hit it and flex and do it until tomorr? yeah

Shawty I can see that you got so much energy
    The way you?re twirlin? up them hips 'round and 'round
    And now there?s no reason at all why you can?t leave here with me
    In the meantime stay and let me watch you break it down

And dance, gonna be okay, da da doo-doo-mmm

Woo! Let?s go!

Half psychotic, sick, hypnotic
    Got my blueprint, it?s symphonic
    Got my blueprint electronic

Got my blueprint, it?s symphonic
    Got my blueprint electronic

Go! Use your muscle, carve it out, work it, hustle
    I got it, just stay close enough to get it
    Don?t slow! Drive it, clean it, lights out, bleed it
    Spend the lasto
    (I got it)
    In your pocko

(I got it)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I don't see it being as deep as you believe. Kind of looks like a rant that "Snookie" would bellow. But I will listen to the song and see how it goes from there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAC12345. Show SAC12345's posts

[QUOTE]I don't see it being as deep as you believe. Kind of looks like a rant that "Snookie" would bellow. But I will listen to the song and see how it goes from there.

I think the meaning is pretty clear myself. But you will need to make your own choice on the matter. Really looks more like she is poking fun at the Snookie types than joining in. I really think the use of irony is pretty inescapable. I understand your hesitation to attribute that level of meaning to what looks like a superficial pop star. I had the same impression at first. But when I gave her music and words a shot, I found myself forced to take the contrary position because the evidence was overwhelming.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Katy Perry have staying power? : I think the meaning is pretty clear myself. But you will need to make your own choice on the matter. Really looks more like she is poking fun at the Snookie types than joining in. I really think the use of irony is pretty inescapable. I understand your hesitation to attribute that level of meaning to what looks like a superficial pop star. I had the same impression at first. But when I gave her music and words a shot, I found myself forced to take the contrary position because the evidence was overwhelming.

If anything, I can see her making fun at Lindsey Lohan in this song, but that is about it. But that is the great thing about music, we all interpret different things from the same song.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAC12345. Show SAC12345's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Katy Perry have staying power? : If anything, I can see her making fun at Lindsey Lohan in this song, but that is about it. But that is the great thing about music, we all interpret different things from the same song.

What I see is her making fun of the "Just Party Your Troubles Away" mentality. If you look closely at the song, terrible things are happening to the narrator, and her solution is "just dance". Pretty funny actually.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Katy Perry have staying power? : What I see is her making fun of the "Just Party Your Troubles Away" mentality. If you look closely at the song, terrible things are happening to the narrator, and her solution is "just dance". Pretty funny actually.

Lindsey Lohan Tongue out

And what is interesting is her latest escapades out in public seem to show her living her life that exact same way.