Driving Music - What songs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Driving Music - What songs

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs:
    In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : Yes! More participants! And good posters , too! Welcome here, Yoshimi and Lloyd! More Ramones fans too!, Life is not as bad as I thought! I always felt people who don't like the Ramones should be sedated.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I can't control my fingers, I can't control my brain.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : The two go together nicely...not really that much difference when you really think about it. Throw in a little Alternative rock,, a bit of Folk music, some Grunge, and some rockin' Blues numbers and you've got yourself a nice Rock'n'Roll stew...like the one that Steve Winwood talks about in the old Traffic tune. But please, no disco or rap...those are not subgenres of rock , despite what people who call themselves experts might think.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Disco is the relative that nobody talks about.  Can't abide rap either. 

U2 did a short little song called MLK on Unforgettable Fire...used to sing that to my daughter when she was little before she went to sleep.  I always felt bad that my voice was so horrific...I was hoping she could start her autobiography with "I'll always remember my mother's soft voice as she sang me to sleep every night". 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Okay . . .

Let's play "Fun With Devil's Advocate."

If rap is not a sub-genre of rock, what is Subterranean Homesick Blues?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Okay . . . Let's play "Fun With Devil's Advocate." If rap is not a sub-genre of rock, what is Subterranean Homesick Blues ?
    Posted by p-mike

You mean other than a really cool song by Dylan?  Good question....but I don't know if I'd consider it rap....

What defines the genre?  I guess that would be the first question to answer. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I will say I liked a lot of what Public Enemy did, particularly "By the Time I get to Arizona" (zona ... zona ... zona) and "911." But overall, I'm not a big rap guy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : Disco is the relative that nobody talks about.  Can't abide rap either.  U2 did a short little song called MLK on Unforgettable Fire...used to sing that to my daughter when she was little before she went to sleep.  I always felt bad that my voice was so horrific...I was hoping she could start her autobiography with "I'll always remember my mother's soft voice as she sang me to sleep every night". 
    Posted by Yoshimi25

Ouch! No love for disco here. When disco first came out, I admit that I was against it. Time and age have mellowed me, and now I enjoy the genre. I'm not really up on the latest in rap, but I did get some CD collections of early Hip Hop and I really enjoy that too. Disco and rap can be seen as a way of music moving away from any semblance of melody to emphasize rhythm alone. As James Brown's career progressed, he emphasized rhythm more and more. Rap can be seen as an natural result of that progression.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I just thought of the perfect Ramones song for Law, Smiley, Mr. Perfect and the rest of the trolls.

Beat On The Brat

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Okay . . . Let's play "Fun With Devil's Advocate." If rap is not a sub-genre of rock, what is Subterranean Homesick Blues ?
    Posted by p-mike

I know what you mean, but somehow even though alot of Dylan's work was spoken rather than sung, and this was done with some Blues too....I just can't draw a parallel between the greatness of Bob Dylan and M.C. Hammer....or for that matter M.C. Anybody.

I think it's the music rather than vocals that really set it apart. BOOM, BOOM, PAH. BA-BA BOOM,BOOM, PAH...over and over again for 4 minutes or more, OY VEY! , VUT IS THAT 'ORRIBLE NOISE!!!, IT COMES FROM THAT CAR TWO BLOCKS AWAY!..AND IT'S SHAKING THE PICTURES OFF THE WALL!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

wow... You guys are all old!! hahaha ;) teasing

You will all laugh at my suggestions, if you even know them?

1. Darude - Calm Before The Storm (with a sunset, on 495 going North from south, A.MAZING. simply put), trance music
    2. The Juliana Theory - You always Say Goodnight (disgustingly chilling pain stakingly depressing, did I say chilling - flipping LOVE it), indie rock
    3. The Suicide Machines - So Long (words don't describe what this does to me) punk? ska? little bit of both lol
    4. BT - Satellite (really feel good, synthesized guitar strings, but relaxing nonetheless)
    5. Authority Zero - One More Minute (before fist pumps were invented)
    6. Anything by Within Temptation, As Tall As Lions
    7. Sia - EVERYTHING she has. LUST her.

those my faves :)

oh and by the way I love supertramp :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

wow... You guys are all old!! hahaha ;) teasing You will all laugh at my suggestions, if you even know them? 1. Darude - Calm Before The Storm (with a sunset, on 495 going North from south, A.MAZING. simply put), trance music 2. The Juliana Theory - You always Say Goodnight (disgustingly chilling pain stakingly depressing, did I say chilling - flipping LOVE it), indie rock 3. The Suicide Machines - So Long (words don't describe what this does to me) punk? ska? little bit of both lol 4. BT - Satellite (really feel good, synthesized guitar strings, but relaxing nonetheless) 5. Authority Zero - One More Minute (before fist pumps were invented) 6. Anything by Within Temptation, As Tall As Lions 7. Sia - EVERYTHING she has. LUST her. those my faves :) oh and by the way I love supertramp :)
    Posted by JazzyJtotheILL

Come on, man, don't I get props for Public Enemy? Who, come to think of it, are nearing 50 themselves.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : I know what you mean, but somehow even though alot of Dylan's work was spoken rather than sung, and this was done with some Blues too....I just can't draw a parallel between the greatness of Bob Dylan and M.C. Hammer....or for that matter M.C. Anybody. I think it's the music rather than vocals that really set it apart. BOOM, BOOM, PAH. BA-BA BOOM,BOOM, PAH...over and over again for 4 minutes or more, OY VEY! , VUT IS THAT 'ORRIBLE NOISE!!!, IT COMES FROM THAT CAR TWO BLOCKS AWAY!..AND IT'S SHAKING THE PICTURES OFF THE WALL!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

It's really just a point of debate. I like to keep Subterranean Homesick Blues in the holster because it p*sses off people who like rap when I tell them a Jew from Minnesota invented it.Cool

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : Come on, man, don't I get props for Public Enemy? Who, come to think of it, are nearing 50 themselves.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Loyd... I'll give you a little credit... just a little....  :) lol

Got to give us what we want
    Gotta give us what we need
    Our freedom of speech is freedom or death
    We got to fight the powers that be
    Lemme hear you say
    Fight the power

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : Come on, man, don't I get props for Public Enemy? Who, come to think of it, are nearing 50 themselves.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Damn straight you get your props. Public Enemy was a very creative rap group. To me it's all about creativity. Public Enemy threw some cool sounds into their rap. Any genre of music can become boring and formulaic without new and different sounds thrown into the mix. Y'know, some people think all heavy metal sounds the same..SCREEEEEEECH! ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : Damn straight you get your props. Public Enemy was a very creative rap group. To me it's all about creativity. Public Enemy threw some cool sounds into their rap. Any genre of music can become boring and formulaic without new and different sounds thrown into the mix. Y'know, some people think all heavy metal sounds the same..SCREEEEEEECH! ;)
    Posted by devildavid

Some really good hiphop groups today (like, don't make you want to go out and hurt someone and actually have intelligent lyrics)

Blackalicious
    Akrobatic
    Aesop Rock
    Atmosphere

Those are just a few.. if either of you are interested.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : Some really good hiphop groups today (like, don't make you want to go out and hurt someone and actually have intelligent lyrics) Blackalicious Akrobatic Aesop Rock Atmosphere Those are just a few.. if either of you are interested.
    Posted by JazzyJtotheILL

I'm very sorry, but, there is no way I am listening to anything by a group named "Blackalicious".

But, what do I know?, I'm really old.

You don't feed catfood to a dog. You can't offer Hip Hop or Rap to a true rock fan. For those who like it, that's O.K. , but keep it away from me. And that means I don't appreciate the kids who drive by my house with the subwoofer on max so that my walls vibrate and I can't hear my T.V. in the summertime. That kind of thing is extremly rude and as much as I love Heavy Metal songs , I always respected that others may not.

There's plenty of great rock I haven't heard yet. I've no desire to listen to music that is repetitive and made mainly for dancing or young urban street gangs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : I'm very sorry, but, there is no way I am listening to anything by a group named "Blackalicious". But, what do I know?, I'm really old. You don't feed catfood to a dog. You can't offer Hip Hop or Rap to a true rock fan. For those who like it, that's O.K. , but keep it away from me. And that means I don't appreciate the kids who drive by my house with the subwoofer on max so that my walls vibrate and I can't hear my T.V. in the summertime. That kind of thing is extremly rude and as much as I love Heavy Metal songs , I always respected that others may not. There's plenty of great rock I haven't heard yet. I've no desire to listen to music that is repetitive and made mainly for dancing or young urban street gangs.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Zil, I know this response wasn't aimed at me, but I've got to disagree with you. You are a blues fan as I am. The blues is a very repetitive, very formulaic music, made unique only by the interpretation each artist gives it. I think you are linking an understandable negative emotional reaction to rude kids to a type of music. At one time, don't you think kids blasted heavy metal and annoyed the neighbors? To those who don't enjoy certain types of music, any genre can sound repetitive. Was the rock of the 50's made for street gangs and tough greasers? Who was the audience for the blues? Blues clubs and juke joints were notorious for violent behavior. Some people believe that all heavy metal fans worship Satan. I accept that you may never listen to disco, hip hop, or rap, or anything you consider dance music. I like music that makes me want to get up and dance. I think 50's rock and roll is great dance music.

Check out this youtube link and tell me if it brings to mind any rock band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g6bUe5MDRo

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

That's Another One Bites the Dust or I've never heard it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

devildad, I know there were plenty who blasted Rock'n'Roll , back in the days, but there is this prevalent attitude among people who listen to rap that we ( over 40 ?) might want to and should want to hear it too.

My parents and their generation did not want to listen to the Doors, the Who and the Stones. We did not want Sinatra, Dean Martin and Perry Como. They were happy with the music of their taste , we were happy with ours. Rap and Hip Hop are the music of a younger generation than mine, I don't particularly care that it exists, but I do not want it forced on me, especially when I am in my own home in the evening. I don't really understand why this younger generation thinks we should listen to the music that they like , we never wanted or cared to have our moms and dads sit down and listen to the newest Judas Priest LP with us, in fact we would rather they didn't.

Some older white guy ( he was some celebrity , I believe) once said of rap music back in the '80's that he didn't "get it" and had no idea what it was all about. The reply from the black artist who made the music was " don't worry, it wasn't meant for you, anyway" or something to that effect....I think that is really just about as right an answer as anyone could give. Perry Como was aimed at a certain age group, Led Zeppelin was aimed at a certain age group, Public Enemy was aimed at a certain age group, and really with few exceptions that's the way it usually is. There  will always be some music that has an appeal that crosses generations, Elvis, Muddy Waters, Linda Ronstadt, to name a few. I don't know one single person my age that likes rap, I don't deny that it has appeal to some , or it wouldn't have survived this long. But it is an exercise in futility for a younger person who likes rap to try and convince a long-time rock'n'roll fan that it is something they should "check out", I've heard , don't like it, end of story.

The funny thing is the next generation is going to find something they like that the rap generation hates and they will sound just like us, like our parents sounded when they first heard ' Satisfaction'....and on and on it will go into infinity, one generation hating the music of the one before it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

devildad, I know there were plenty who blasted Rock'n'Roll , back in the days, but there is this prevalent attitude among people who listen to rap that we ( over 40 ?) might want to and should want to hear it too. My parents and their generation did not want to listen to the Doors, the Who and the Stones. We did not want Sinatra, Dean Martin and Perry Como. They were happy with the music of their taste , we were happy with ours. Rap and Hip Hop are the music of a younger generation than mine, I don't particularly care that it exists, but I do not want it forced on me, especially when I am in my own home in the evening. I don't really understand why this younger generation thinks we should listen to the music that they like , we never wanted or cared to have our moms and dads sit down and listen to the newest Judas Priest LP with us, in fact we would rather they didn't.   Some older white guy ( he was some celebrity , I believe) once said of rap music back in the '80's that he didn't "get it" and had no idea what it was all about. The reply from the black artist who made the music was " don't worry, it wasn't meant for you, anyway" or something to that effect....I think that is really just about as right an answer as anyone could give. Perry Como was aimed at a certain age group, Led Zeppelin was aimed at a certain age group, Public Enemy was aimed at a certain age group, and really with few exceptions that's the way it usually is. There  will always be some music that has an appeal that crosses generations, Elvis, Muddy Waters, Linda Ronstadt, to name a few. I don't know one single person my age that likes rap, I don't deny that it has appeal to some , or it wouldn't have survived this long. But it is an exercise in futility for a younger person who likes rap to try and convince a long-time rock'n'roll fan that it is something they should "check out", I've heard , don't like it, end of story. The funny thing is the next generation is going to find something they like that the rap generation hates and they will sound just like us, like our parents sounded when they first heard ' Satisfaction'....and on and on it will go into infinity, one generation hating the music of the one before it.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I'm an old guy too. I shouldn't like 50's rock as it was before my time but I love it. I don't like crooners in general but I do like some of their songs and I like instrumental jazz from the swing era. What interests me are the connections between various types of music. I have had the opposite of your experience. I have found that I like more music as I age, and not less. Music may have a target audience but it doesn't prevent it from having an appeal beyond that. Blues was a black music intended for a very particular black audience. It found a white audience through white popularizers. I'm not trying to get you to like rap or hip hop and I don't think young kids are trying to either. Young kids always played their music too loud.

My mother-in-law who just turned 78 enjoys some Elvis Presley and even a Ray Charles version of a country song. I'm just trying to bridge the gaps and erase the borders when it comes to music. I was once very dismissive of hard rock/heavy metal. But I heard Zep's "Black Dog" and this changed my attitude.

If makes you feel any better, my wife hates pretty much all the music I love. But she has turned me on to some of the music she likes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

If there was no such thing as "sampling" rap music might get more run as a serious art form -- but if you need to steal someone else's hook so you can free associate about how much you like crime and getting laid, don't expect me to take you seriously.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgihal. Show tgihal's posts

radar love
    golden earring

just trying to get this discussion back on subject

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

radar love golden earring just trying to get this discussion back on subject
    Posted by tgihal

Excellent choice. Definitely has to be on the all-time list of driving songs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Hot Rod Lincoln" - Commander Cody & His Lost Planet Airmen

"Convoy" -  C.W. McCall

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

devildad, I know there were plenty who blasted Rock'n'Roll , back in the days, but there is this prevalent attitude among people who listen to rap that we ( over 40 ?) might want to and should want to hear it too. My parents and their generation did not want to listen to the Doors, the Who and the Stones. We did not want Sinatra, Dean Martin and Perry Como. They were happy with the music of their taste , we were happy with ours. Rap and Hip Hop are the music of a younger generation than mine, I don't particularly care that it exists, but I do not want it forced on me, especially when I am in my own home in the evening. I don't really understand why this younger generation thinks we should listen to the music that they like , we never wanted or cared to have our moms and dads sit down and listen to the newest Judas Priest LP with us, in fact we would rather they didn't.   Some older white guy ( he was some celebrity , I believe) once said of rap music back in the '80's that he didn't "get it" and had no idea what it was all about. The reply from the black artist who made the music was " don't worry, it wasn't meant for you, anyway" or something to that effect....I think that is really just about as right an answer as anyone could give. Perry Como was aimed at a certain age group, Led Zeppelin was aimed at a certain age group, Public Enemy was aimed at a certain age group, and really with few exceptions that's the way it usually is. There  will always be some music that has an appeal that crosses generations, Elvis, Muddy Waters, Linda Ronstadt, to name a few. I don't know one single person my age that likes rap, I don't deny that it has appeal to some , or it wouldn't have survived this long. But it is an exercise in futility for a younger person who likes rap to try and convince a long-time rock'n'roll fan that it is something they should "check out", I've heard , don't like it, end of story. The funny thing is the next generation is going to find something they like that the rap generation hates and they will sound just like us, like our parents sounded when they first heard ' Satisfaction'....and on and on it will go into infinity, one generation hating the music of the one before it.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I can appreciate your dislike for people who blast music. But people blast music of any form. Be it, rap, punk, rock, hardcore metal, etc.

But try not to let kids ruin something for you. When I was 12, my brother's friends all had long hair, wore black tshirts, jeans with holes in them. They all listened to Rock music. It made me sick. And for a while, I swore off metal. Because to me the "look" was gross. (of course I was 12, but that's my point)

Blackalicious -I can understand why the name would turn you off, but really - look at these lyrics

"Christmas day when your mamma got your first bike
    Type of feeling when you went and when your first fight
    How your team felt winning championship games
    Celebrate in a huddle dancing in this rain
    Have a thought see a shooting star cross your screen
    Put in hard work finally your living your dream
    Deaf man get his hearing now in come vibes
    Blind man get sight see his first sunrise
    Dumb man speaking out, now he's load and clear
    Earth through your chout smile so proud ya wear
    Going in your third eye for the styles ya hear
    Making music that'll bump for a thousand years
    Eating right feeling conscience like health is first
    Said a prayer that's sincere and you felt it work
    Times I feel I wanna shout, man it's real that way
    When I'm thinking things that make you feel that way"

Something to think about - even if someone WAS blasting this, (I'll admit, although disrespectful) is it really that bad? Look how positive this is.

I just think music is so universal, how can you really limit yourself to one kind just because of a bad experience.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : I can appreciate your dislike for people who blast music. But people blast music of any form. Be it, rap, punk, rock, hardcore metal, etc. But try not to let kids ruin something for you. When I was 12, my brother's friends all had long hair, wore black tshirts, jeans with holes in them. They all listened to Rock music. It made me sick. And for a while, I swore off metal. Because to me the "look" was gross. (of course I was 12, but that's my point) Blackalicious -I can understand why the name would turn you off, but really - look at these lyrics "Christmas day when your mamma got your first bike Type of feeling when you went and when your first fight How your team felt winning championship games Celebrate in a huddle dancing in this rain Have a thought see a shooting star cross your screen Put in hard work finally your living your dream Deaf man get his hearing now in come vibes Blind man get sight see his first sunrise Dumb man speaking out, now he's load and clear Earth through your chout smile so proud ya wear Going in your third eye for the styles ya hear Making music that'll bump for a thousand years Eating right feeling conscience like health is first Said a prayer that's sincere and you felt it work Times I feel I wanna shout, man it's real that way When I'm thinking things that make you feel that way" Something to think about - even if someone WAS blasting this, (I'll admit, although disrespectful) is it really that bad? Look how positive this is. I just think music is so universal, how can you really limit yourself to one kind just because of a bad experience.
    Posted by JazzyJtotheILL

Well, I don't want to get anymore carried away with the subject , but, here's something you can think about:

How come a music forum in 2010 has more "old folks" discussing groups like Commander Cody, Joe Walsh and Led Zepplin than young Rap fans discussing P.Diddy and 50 Cent?

Doesn't this strike you as odd that this music that you find so marvelous has little or no fanbase discussing it?

In order to discuss this genre of music you had to interject your opinions about it to a small group who really isn't very interested in it.

If Rap music had started last week, well maybe I'd be willing to give it a listen. But, it's been around for almost 20 years and that proves there are folks who like it and like it alot. But, I 've heard it and it all sounds about the same as it did in 1985 to me , horrible and boring. It is obviously not aimed at my age group, which is the point I was trying to make. The Clash were big when I was about 17-20 years old, it was something that struck a nerve in me. It was never meant to gather fans in the 30-80 years old age group and likely wasn't too popular with 10 year olds either.

If it matters to anyone, I really don't care much for Jazz and Country either , but kids with subwoofers larger than the trunks of their cars are not constantly try to bring Country and Jazz into my den when I am watching a Red Sox game at 9:30 in the evening.

This is the current "driving song" mentality of the 2000's , to get a monster stereo and share your music, or the bass portion of it with people who don't want to hear it.

Back in 1976, we turned up Foghat's "Slowride" or Frampton's "Do You Feel, Like We Do" on the AM/FM radio on the dash of our cars , the radio that came with the car...you know , the one with a single speaker that only people in the car could actually hear...and we were actually quite happy with that...at least I was.