Driving Music - What songs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

Re: Driving Music - What songs

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs:
    In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : Well, I don't want to get anymore carried away with the subject , but, here's something you can think about: How come a music forum in 2010 has more "old folks" discussing groups like Commander Cody, Joe Walsh and Led Zepplin than young Rap fans discussing P.Diddy and 50 Cent? Doesn't this strike you as odd that this music that you find so marvelous has little or no fanbase discussing it? In order to discuss this genre of music you had to interject your opinions about it to a small group who really isn't very interested in it. If Rap music had started last week, well maybe I'd be willing to give it a listen. But, it's been around for almost 20 years and that proves there are folks who like it and like it alot. But, I 've heard it and it all sounds about the same as it did in 1985 to me , horrible and boring. It is obviously not aimed at my age group, which is the point I was trying to make. The Clash were big when I was about 17-20 years old, it was something that struck a nerve in me. It was never meant to gather fans in the 30-80 years old age group and likely wasn't too popular with 10 year olds either. If it matters to anyone, I really don't care much for Jazz and Country either , but kids with subwoofers larger than the trunks of their cars are not constantly try to bring Country and Jazz into my den when I am watching a Red Sox game at 9:30 in the evening. This is the current "driving song" mentality of the 2000's , to get a monster stereo and share your music, or the bass portion of it with people who don't want to hear it. Back in 1976, we turned up Foghat's "Slowride" or Frampton's "Do You Feel, Like We Do" on the AM/FM radio on the dash of our cars , the radio that came with the car...you know , the one with a single speaker that only people in the car could actually hear...and we were actually quite happy with that...at least I was.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Wow... "In order to discuss this genre of music you had to interject your opinions about it to a small group who really isn't very interested in it. " I'm sorry for adding to your discussion. I didn't realize this was an exclusive group of people who are only allowed to like ONE kind of music. Open your mind and let others in.

No offence but you are extremely closed minded and that's a very unnattractive quality, regardless of what age you are. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean those who do are BAD people.

Instead of calling this a Driving Music What Songs do you like to listen to while driving.. why not just call it " ONLY PEOPLE WHO LIKE METAL ALLOWED". Really... Have some respect for people's opinions and taste, especially if they've respected yours. Don't bunch me in with 17 year old kids. I'm 30 years old and have experienced a world that 80 year olds wished they did. I should be the one who's closed minded, and yet I'm still able to understand everyone has their own tastes and I look forward to learning it.

Anyway. I won't post here again. I made a mistake.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

And another thing Mr. Zilla, you are using a small sampling of people to base your opinions on re: why aren't people who love 50cent discussing in here (P.S. I hate all those rappers you suggested, that was the reason I suggested the ones I did). Those people you are talking about so feverishly - are HOPEFULLY in school during the day and learning about life vs. sitting on b.com like us pathetically hoping someone will back us up with our opinions of music. I for one thought it might be fun to hear what others like, perhaps learn some new bands (or old for that matter ) and just have fun conversation.

I'm not sure what set you off. Maybe it was my joke about you guys being old, which was COMPLETELY a joke and if I offended you I apologize but loosen up a little. But either way, it's not my job to help you see the light but it's also not like me to sit back and watch someone be so closd minded, so I thought I'd share a little more insight.

Much greatness to you. P.S.  my email is godzillis@gmail - so clearly.. we have SOMETHING in common. :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolhandgannon. Show coolhandgannon's posts

Wow. This thread heated up in all the wrong ways.

I have to say, it's a bit late to throw out the old "takes all kinds, obviously some people like it" sop when you've implied fans of a genre are rude, uncultured, and probably criminal.

At the start of this thread, people admitted to getting a "heavy foot" when certain songs came on. Response: Don't go too fast, haha. Someone says they like listening to rap when driving. Response: Rap fans are ignorant thugs who force their sorry excuse for music on upright (rock-loving?) citizens.

Ouch.

If people need to prove their rock credentials to post on the forums, I want no part of it. Especially if people decide to speak for me about what kind of music I am or am not interested in.

End of lecture.

For driving music, how about the entire Superfly album by Curtis Mayfield? I forget who wrote the liner notes. He points out that even if you're a middle-aged white accountant, as soon as the title track comes on your seat goes back, you start grooving, and you are baaaad.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Wow. This thread heated up in all the wrong ways. I have to say, it's a bit late to throw out the old "takes all kinds, obviously some people like it" sop when you've implied fans of a genre are rude, uncultured, and probably criminal. At the start of this thread, people admitted to getting a "heavy foot" when certain songs came on. Response: Don't go too fast, haha. Someone says they like listening to rap when driving. Response: Rap fans are ignorant thugs who force their sorry excuse for music on upright (rock-loving?) citizens. Ouch. If people need to prove their rock credentials to post on the forums, I want no part of it. Especially if people decide to speak for me about what kind of music I am or am not interested in. End of lecture. For driving music, how about the entire Superfly album by Curtis Mayfield? I forget who wrote the liner notes. He points out that even if you're a middle-aged white accountant, as soon as the title track comes on your seat goes back, you start grooving, and you are baaaad.
    Posted by coolhandgannon

I'll keep things positive by saying I love the Superfly soundtrack. While the movie may have glorified a drug dealer's life, Mayfield's lyrics are a warning of the dangers and pitfalls of that life.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

And another thing Mr. Zilla, you are using a small sampling of people to base your opinions on re: why aren't people who love 50cent discussing in here (P.S. I hate all those rappers you suggested, that was the reason I suggested the ones I did). Those people you are talking about so feverishly - are HOPEFULLY in school during the day and learning about life vs. sitting on b.com like us pathetically hoping someone will back us up with our opinions of music. I for one thought it might be fun to hear what others like, perhaps learn some new bands (or old for that matter ) and just have fun conversation. I'm not sure what set you off. Maybe it was my joke about you guys being old, which was COMPLETELY a joke and if I offended you I apologize but loosen up a little. But either way, it's not my job to help you see the light but it's also not like me to sit back and watch someone be so closd minded, so I thought I'd share a little more insight. Much greatness to you. P.S.  my email is godzillis@gmail - so clearly.. we have SOMETHING in common. :)
    Posted by JazzyJtotheILL

Please don't give up on posting here. All points of view are more than welcome. Zil is really a good guy with a good sense of humor. I'm an old guy and my taste in music has expanded with age. We each bring something different to the table and some opinions just may rub some people the wrong way. I'm just kind of feeling my way around on this forum, to see what kind of topics are of interest. The more points of view, the better.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The wonderful part about music is that it is a langauge unto itself. And different music communicates to different people. I certainly understand Zilla's point of view and dislike regarding sub-woofers blasting music out of a car. I find it just as annoying. But it is what it is and Zilla is expressing his interests or disinterests. Interest in music is a passionate a subject as I have ever come across.

But there is no reason to leave this forum because of it. Maybe we will learn from what you have to say. I accept that rap/hip-hop have a place in society. But except for a couple of tracks by Run DMC, Tupac, Eminem or Dog and a few others, IMO, none of it will ever become standards in the music pantheon. But maybe I will be proved wrong and that would be cool.

Anthrax and Public Enemy was a great joining of the music. The same for Aerosmith and RunDMC, There is a place where the music can exist together, so what do we do. We listen to what we like and let everything else slide by. Howver the Sean Puff Diddy remke with Page was a complete disaster.

So let's not turn this forum into the Sox forum.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

So let's not turn this forum into the Sox forum.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I heartily endorse this point of view.

I love the Red Sox and baseball is one of those topics that presents endless topics for discussion -- but I don't even bother checking the Sox forum on this board. It's a joke.

Ohhhh . . .  and does anybody remember a local band called Private Lightning? They did a song called Physical Speed that was an awesome song to blast while you were tooling down 128 (when it's dark outside).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from celts55. Show celts55's posts

Living on a prayer.
    Walking on Sunshine.
    Taking care of business.
    Love Shack.
    One way out.
    American girl.
    6 days on the road.
    Mississippi queen
    Sympathy for the devil.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KEK. Show KEK's posts

I remember this group.  Didn't someone in the band play an electric violin?  Wow - that takes me back.  I remember many nights with The Neighborhoods, Lou Miami and the Kozmetix, Til Tuesday....

Anyway, my favorite driving song has to be Born to Run. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

And another thing Mr. Zilla, you are using a small sampling of people to base your opinions on re: why aren't people who love 50cent discussing in here (P.S. I hate all those rappers you suggested, that was the reason I suggested the ones I did). Those people you are talking about so feverishly - are HOPEFULLY in school during the day and learning about life vs. sitting on b.com like us pathetically hoping someone will back us up with our opinions of music. I for one thought it might be fun to hear what others like, perhaps learn some new bands (or old for that matter ) and just have fun conversation. I'm not sure what set you off. Maybe it was my joke about you guys being old, which was COMPLETELY a joke and if I offended you I apologize but loosen up a little. But either way, it's not my job to help you see the light but it's also not like me to sit back and watch someone be so closd minded, so I thought I'd share a little more insight. Much greatness to you. P.S.  my email is godzillis@gmail - so clearly.. we have SOMETHING in common. :)
    Posted by JazzyJtotheILL

Evidently my point was taken entirely out of context here.

I just thought maybe you might want to start your own thread about the style of music you like.

Comments like " not my job to help you see the light" baffle me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JazzyJtotheILL. Show JazzyJtotheILL's posts

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : Evidently my point was taken entirely out of context here. I just thought maybe you might want to start your own thread about the style of music you like. Comments like " not my job to help you see the light" baffle me.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

It was said in fun Zilla. But perhaps that's a lesson we both need to learn. Tone in text. I took yours in a negative tone as well. But either way, what I like is what I like, and what you like is what you like. All is well

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : It was said in fun Zilla. But perhaps that's a lesson we both need to learn. Tone in text. I took yours in a negative tone as well. But either way, what I like is what I like, and what you like is what you like. All is well
    Posted by JazzyJtotheILL

I apologize if anything I said was taken badly.

You have my respect, I may have got a little carried away. I am very passionate about the music I like. I sort of got the feeling you were trying to steer the conversation toward your own type music and I suppose I was wrong. You meant well, it was entirely my own misconception of your intentions. 

please don't stop posting here, we need lots more people to liven up the music boards. Maybe you have some friends who like other styles of music besides rock who would join in?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

OK Boys-let's not get too apologetic here, especially you Zilla. Your nuclear breath is in fact a breath of fresh air on these forums even if you are a Sawx fan. Personally, I think you are better suited for the Evil Empire.

Back to driving music: White Room - Cream & Purple Haze - Hendrix

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

"Purple Haze!!!" Hell yeah. Good luck sticking to the speed limit, though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

OK Boys-let's not get too apologetic here, especially you Zilla. Your nuclear breath is in fact a breath of fresh air on these forums even if you are a Sawx fan. Personally, I think you are better suited for the Evil Empire. Back to driving music: White Room - Cream & Purple Haze - Hendrix
    Posted by jesseyeric

Never thought of "White Room" as a 'driving song' , more of a "lounging in the den , listening to the brilliance of Clapton song". This is the master at his peak.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Driving Music - What songs : Never thought of "White Room" as a 'driving song' , more of a "lounging in the den , listening to the brilliance of Clapton song". This is the master at his peak.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

That is the beauty of music, it attacks each indivduals senses differently. I was only 10 when it was first released but it stayed fresh for quite a number of years. As I hit my teens, White Room definitely got me itching for chicks and fights. I don't know why, but it did. Pedal to the metal when this is blasting out of the car speakers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Living on a prayer. Walking on Sunshine. Taking care of business. Love Shack. One way out. American girl. 6 days on the road. Mississippi queen Sympathy for the devil.
    Posted by celts55

Nice choices. I had never heard of "6 days on the road". You have taught me something new, and that's great. I checked out Dave Dudley's version of this song on YouTube and it sounds pretty cool. A great companion song for "Convoy", and much more musical and less jokey. Thanks for expanding my horizons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Miserlou" - Dick Dale and the Del-Tones

"Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I saw this thread and thought I'd comment.

I don't have any "drving" music. When I'm in the car, it's whatever I feel like listening to at the time -- what mood I'm in.

However, there are two musts when I'm driving cross country. The Moody Blues' "This is the Moody Blues" and Simon and Garfunkel's "Concert in Central Park."

There's a reason.

The first time I made a cross country road trip when I was 21, I had a lot of albums, but I didn't have any tapes. It was a month or two when I made the trip that I got a tape deck for my car. I was listening to The Moody Blues album I mentioned, so I bought the double tape for the trip. I didn't have the extra money to buy a bunch of tapes, so I borrowed three or four tapes from my sister, the Simon and Garfunkel tape and two others that had a couple of songs on that I liked.

So I rotated the tapes when I was driving and surfed the radio, but in the end, the two tapes I listened to the bulk of the time was the Moody Blues tape and Simon and Garfunkel. So to this day, whenever I take a cross country drive, I need to have those two albums (CDs) because of the great memories associated with them. I'll listen to more stuff now, but those two CDs will still get major play in the rotation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

radar love golden earring just trying to get this discussion back on subject
    Posted by tgihal

Gosh, it took long enough for some poster to finally mention it.  I figured it would be the first one named.  I'm not even that crazy about the song outside of the context of driving. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

I don't believe it's a coincidence that one generation or group dislikes the other's music.  Perhaps the musical genre developed as a reaction or response to the other in a conscious or subconscious way. 

For example, I dislike what I call the whining Euromoaners of the 80s like Tears for Fears.  I just don't get it.  That music was possibly designed and developed for the purpose of irking people like me.  That could be its appeal to fans several years my junior. 

Having said that, I've found a few in the genre that I don't mind.  I wouldn't put forth extra effort to listen to The Cure, but I wouldn't change the station either.  I also got a kick out of the Human League's "Don't You Want Me?".  Sure, The Human League is very "moany", but there's something kind of goofy that I enjoy about that song.  I envision a lawyer in a courtroom setting cross-examining the ex-girlfriend and stating: "You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar.  That much is true."  It's like he was trying to establish the facts of his case. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Songs about driving, traveling:

Highway Song -- Blackfoot
    Radar Love -- Golden Earing
    Turn the Page -- Bob Seger
    Hot Rod Lincoln -- Commander Cody

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bsquared. Show bsquared's posts

Roadrunner Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers
    Posted by p-mike

Oh yeah Roadrunner ... love it!  Also want to hear The Who's Who Are You? (and most anything from the Who's Next album), Pat Metheny Group's Beat 70 and Last Train Home.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Watch this and tell me you didn't going driving afterwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgZSnAkQc4c

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Watch this and tell me you didn't going driving afterwards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgZSnAkQc4c
    Posted by jesseyeric

Nice. I should have included that on my list above.

Deep Purple is one of those great groups that I sometimes forget how much great stuff they have.