Dusty album challenge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Dusty album challenge

For anyone who is interested, please join the "dust off an old CD" challenge THIS WEEK.  

The only rule is that the album has to be one that you haven't listened to in *at least* 5/6 years, but preferably closer to 10, or more.    It doesn't matter what year the album was released (it can be within the last 10 years).  The album doesn't have to be old (but it might be); fact is, you have not listened to it in a lo-o-o-ng time.     

Some of you own so much music, you'll have no trouble finding albums in this category (understatement).  I hope you'll listen to at least one or two, and report back with your current reaction and review.  This is about your current reaction.

BONUS for albums that you absolutely hated perhaps, never liked, were disappointments, or that you considered, uh, mistakes.  

If you do this as a regular habit, well, then you're all set.    Are you in?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Dusty album challenge

Inspiration for this thread:  Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball. 

In brief, I was reading about EH over the weekend (she was at the House of Blues in Boston) and apparently, another (unnecessary) anniversary was mentioned re: the re-mastering of her mid-90's album, "Wrecking Ball."

The album was her sea change moment; she left the country music mainstream, and made a departure from familiar territory entirely, when she made this album.

I own this album.   I have not touched it in at least 5, if not 10, years.   I *hated* it almost immediately and can only remember buying it b/c a close friend at the time, was a huge EL Harris fan.   I had no idea why it was a big deal.  

I didn't pay much attention to the songwriters whose songs were on the album: Steve Earle, Gillian Welch, Neil Young, Lucinda Williams, Jimi Hendrix, and others.

Decided to see if I still had the album.   Found it.   Listened to it. 

OUTCOME: I love the album.   Cannot believe it's the same album that I hated. 

I *get* it.  I didn't get it then.   It's not a wild party album.  It's a quiet, moody, interesting, and beautifully interpreted set of tracks. 

The Steve Earle song, "Goodbye" might be my favorite.   :)    Then there's Gillian Welch's "Orphan Girl" , and Daniel Lanois' "Blackhawk" -- heck, the album is filled with winners. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I'm in.

I will report back soon.

I must have hundreds of CDs that I haven't listened to in over 10 years. 

It's going to be hard to meet the bonus, as I don't own any that I recall "hating." Some were a little disappointing. It'll probaly take me a while to choose a good candidate.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

I can try this. I'll have to get one of my old CD books.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'd like to participate, but I don't know if I will be able to find albums or collectiions. 

I think I already found one album due to the Peter Gabriel thread. I had completerly forgotten I even had the "Melt" solo album. I'll try to listen to that one first.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Ian Hunter - All American Alien Boy...........great album IMHO......had forgotten about it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

This "break" from BDC will give you more time for music, right? See you tomorrow ... (?)

See you tomorrow?? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Took myself a small vacation, kind of on investigation. Checking out a new sensation, finding much invigoration. Hand is on the buzzer and i'm walking through the door.

Get high - high - high  on a new thing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

No better today, eh?

Doesn't look as though things are any better today.  Are they? 

Would be very interested to see what albums you took out of the dust bin.

NOTE:  BTW, if you read my post re: "Wrecking Ball" -- I read (today) that ELH's set at the HoB, where she played on Sunday, was composed of her playing the album in entirety, with three backup musicians.   The reviewer said it was among the most "spare and intimate" performances that Harris has ever given.    The idea that I was curious enough to take out the album several days ago was certainly incredible timing.   Would have loved to have seen her perform the album. 

Until forum "magic" happens -- I'll see you later.   Now to see if this appears ...

Namaste. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

I'd like to participate, but I don't know if I will be able to find albums or collectiions. 

I think I already found one album due to the Peter Gabriel thread. I had completerly forgotten I even had the "Melt" solo album. I'll try to listen to that one first.

I'll try a reply ...

re: a collection.   This is for fun, so that's not a problem, but I honestly don't think you'd get much of a surprise reaction from a collection.   Listening to "Melt"  sounds perfect, so run with that.  Will be interested to hear your reaction.  

Now to see if this is visible ...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

This is frustrating. I can't figure out how to get my posts to show up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Looks like yogafriend is the savviest poster on the entire site :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

what happend to this site??? Change for the not so better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Oh yeah, right ...

Do you think I was given moderator powers, but not told?!  

I'll reserve any music news today b/c no one can comment on it anyway.  

I'll see what I can do to restore your ability  to post.   AHEM.   I wish.  It's lonely being the only one who can post.  HA.  :)

Keep the faith. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to newman09's comment:

what happend to this site??? Change for the not so better.

Hey, Newman, nice to see your text is visible.  

Seems we are a rare breed right now.  BDC is in the midst of an upgrade / redesign.  

There's no telling when we'll see "normal".  :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Dusty album challenge .

Sections
Shortcuts