Dusty album challenge

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Re: Dusty album challenge

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Strange,I can post here but not in the post section !! :(

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Tried to post an image but that's not going to happen just yet

Most people have found that they can post in the headline space successfully -- but that's it, unfortunately. 

Maybe tomorrow will be better.   

Namaste. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Took myself a small vacation, kind of on investigation. Checking out a new sensation, finding much invigoration. Hand is on the buzzer and i'm walking through the door.

Get high - high - high  on a new thing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

This might help you post. Give it a shot.

I just got a hint from the Red Sox forum. If you are using Internet Explorer (prior to version 11) and there is a symbol in your address bar that looks kind of like a torn piece of paper try clicking on it. It should then change color and you may be able to post. It just worked for me and I am using IE10. If you are using IE11 click on the settings icon in the top right corner. From the drop down menu select Compatibility View Settings. In the dialog box check the box that says Use Microsoft compatibility lists. I hope this helps some of you. Good luck!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

No change, obviously

Well, not a thing anyone can do about the forum fiasco.   Care to post a song title in the headline to express how you feel?  

In the meantime, I'm going to listen to two more albums that have been shelved / MIA for well over 5 years: Courtney Love / Hole and my first Wilco album.   Man, I thought this was going to be a fun thread.   Maybe it will be at some point.  BTW, I cannot create a new thread.  I tried.   My powers do not include the ability to add a thread.  Feel like I'm talking to myself.   Hfx, you can probably write at least another chapter of your book during the downtime. 

Okay, then.   Hang in there.  Easter will have a new meaning if this place ever gets fixed.  :D

Namaste, friends.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just got a hint from the Red Sox forum. If you are using Internet Explorer (prior to version 11) and there is a symbol in your address bar that looks kind of like a torn piece of paper try clicking on it. It should then change color and you may be able to post. It just worked for me and I am using IE10. If you are using IE11 click on the settings icon in the top right corner. From the drop down menu select Compatibility View Settings. In the dialog box check the box that says Use Microsoft compatibility lists. I hope this helps some of you. Good luck!

[/QUOTE]

Nice work.   I sat on my post for a while, and didn't see this until I finally hit send.    I must have had all the right settings, without knowing it. 

Does this mean I don't have special powers??   BUMMER.   :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

So far I've listened to:

'Suburban Voodoo' - Paul Carrack

'Capitol Collectors Series' - Gene Vincent

I'll report in more detail later.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rich1273. Show Rich1273's posts

I'll try this again. 

I listened to Wu-Tang Clan's third album, The W. This album came out in 2000 and I haven't listened to it all the way through in at least 10 years. I remembered that it was good, but nowhere near as good as their debut or their follow up. That's pretty much the impression I got from re-listening to it.

This was the first group album that they had guest appearances. On the first two group albums only members of the group rapped on them. When you have 9 members in your group, you don't need much outside assistance. Also on this album, ODB was only featured on one song because he was away in drug rehab I think. His presence is noticeably missed because he always stands out on any song he is on.

The album on the whole is very gritty, a return to their earlier sound. The two singles really stand out because they have more of a "pop rap" feel to them and don't fit with the rest of the songs on the album. It was probably a little better than I remembered, but besides the singles and a couple other songs I won't be returning to the album any time soon because they have better group and solo efforts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Can you see me now?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Rich1273's comment:

I'll try this again. 

I listened to Wu-Tang Clan's third album, The W. This album came out in 2000 and I haven't listened to it all the way through in at least 10 years. I remembered that it was good, but nowhere near as good as their debut or their follow up. That's pretty much the impression I got from re-listening to it.

This was the first group album that they had guest appearances. On the first two group albums only members of the group rapped on them. When you have 9 members in your group, you don't need much outside assistance. Also on this album, ODB was only featured on one song because he was away in drug rehab I think. His presence is noticeably missed because he always stands out on any song he is on.

The album on the whole is very gritty, a return to their earlier sound. The two singles really stand out because they have more of a "pop rap" feel to them and don't fit with the rest of the songs on the album. It was probably a little better than I remembered, but besides the singles and a couple other songs I won't be returning to the album any time soon because they have better group and solo efforts.

Glad you were able to post.   Seems that listening to this album was worthwhile b/c it confirms that WTC has more to offer in their follow-up albums.   Ten years is a long time, isn't it?  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Can you see me now?

YES  Things seem to be looking up. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

'Suburban Voodoo' - Paul Carrack.

This is a New Wave artifact recorded by the vocalist who sang "How Long?" with Ace and "Tempted" with Squeeze. It's not a bad album, but to me it comes across kind of bland now. Nick Lowe produced and contributed to the songwriting, making the album sound like Nick Lowe lite. That's not entirely a bad thing, but the album isn't one that really holds up to repeated listenings.

I got this during the New Wave heyday, when I was also heavily into Nick Lowe and Squeeze. Carrack is an appealing vocalist, but he lacks that X factor that puts him at the next level for me. Here is one of my favorite tracks from the album, "Lesson In Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUBFRx1otOc

-Elvis Presley

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

D'OH !!!! Still not working for me.

"Another day closer to the parade"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It doesn't seem that I can post anything

Took myself a small vacation, kind of on investigation. Checking out a new sensation, finding much invigoration. Hand is on the buzzer and i'm walking through the door.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to jesseyeric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It doesn't seem that I can post anything

[/QUOTE]

Your post is visible, JE.   FWIW.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

'Capitol Collectors Series' -Gene Vincent

This is a nice collection of rock 'n' roll pioneer Gene Vincent's best recordings. His best work falls into the rockabilly vein. He never became as big as other similar artists, but he was influential on many other rock 'n' rollers. He is one of those who found more popularity in England than in the US. His biggest hit, "Be Bop A Lula" was mistaken by some as an Elvis Presley recording. His management did try to present him as competition for Elvis, but he was unique and not at all a copy of the King. He formed one of the earliest and best rock 'n' roll band, The Blue Caps. He could go from tough rockers to tender ballads just as well as Elvis. He also wrote some of his own material. Here is his signature song, which put him on the rock 'n' roll map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4_5593-skQ

-Elvis Presley

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

This is a nice collection of rock 'n' roll pioneer Gene Vincent's best recordings. His best work falls into the rockabilly vein. He never became as big as other similar artists, but he was influential on many other rock 'n' rollers. He is one of those who found more popularity in England than in the US. His biggest hit, "Be Bop A Lula" was mistaken by some as an Elvis Presley recording. His management did try to present him as competition for Elvis, but he was unique and not at all a copy of the King. He formed one of the earliest and best rock 'n' roll band, The Blue Caps. He could go from tough rockers to tender ballads just as well as Elvis. He also wrote some of his own material. Here is his signature song, which put him on the rock 'n' roll map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4_5593-skQ" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4_5593-skQ" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4_5593-skQ

You didn't say what you thought of it after not listening to it in many (10? or more) years.    Your reaction and the outcome of listening to it (will you put this CD back into rotation?) -- that's the challenge.   If you thought it was "nice" when you bought it,  and still think so, then nothing has changed -- but you didn't say.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Testing an image :  Images are a lost cause.   I'll edit this with another "dusty" album when I get back. 

"Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you always."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4_5593-skQ" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4_5593-skQ" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4_5593-skQ

[/QUOTE]

You didn't say what you thought of it after not listening to it in many (10? or more) years.    Your reaction and the outcome of listening to it (will you put this CD back into rotation?) -- that's the challenge.   If you thought it was "nice" when you bought it,  and still think so, then nothing has changed -- but you didn't say.  

[object]

[/QUOTE]

I got it because of "Be Bop A Lula" and because I had read about the importance of Gene Vincent in the development of rock 'n' roll. However, I must admit I don't expect I will listen to it much outside of playing a few songs on it. So while it's nice to have it and I wouldn't want to be without it, I probably won't listen to it much. While I don't dislike it, I guess the songs just don't stand out that much for me . 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Test

"Another day closer to the parade"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

What the hell happened here? tried posting for over a week, either it did not take or it just posted my profile and signature with no comments.

I think it is working now. When I saw this thread, went to the vinyl room and pulled two albums that are connected. They are:

They Only Come Out at Night - Edgar Winter Group (1972)

All American Boy - Rick Derringer (1973)

The two albums are connected as Derringer played and produced They Only Come Out at Night and Winter played on a few tracks of All American Boy. Rick wound up replacing the great Ronnie Montrose on the next Edgar Winter Group Album. But it should be noted that along with Edgar & Ronnie, the EW Group also had Dan Hartman in the band. Great vocalist and songwriter in his own right.

Frankenstein and Free Ride

Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo and Teenage Queen

Thanks for the trip down memory lane

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I checked out another album that I hadn't listened to in well over 5 years:

Live Through This - Hole  (Courtney Love's band)

This is Hole's second album, ca. 1994.   Not sure when I got hold of it, but I thought it was a pretty good album at the time, although I ultimately broke it down, and found some of the songs unlistenable.   FWIW, but timely due to other discussions, this album was released a mere 4-days following Kurt Cobain's suicide.   Crazy timing.
    OUTCOME:  Very emblematic of the original "alt rock" / indie sound the way it was intended, and I like this album even more now than I did when I last listened to it.   The vocals are pretty awesome, in that, Love yells very melodically ... hahaha .. well, she does.   Otherwise, her voice is very monotone and perfectly suited; it's a matter of liking it, and I like it.  The album is considered a classic of its genre now, and I agree with that assessment.  Love was a bit of a mess in her personal life, but the album totally rocks, and I am very satisfied having listened to it. 

(Tried to post a youtube link, but either I can't get it to work, or it doesn't work ... sorry)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I don't do this enough.  I have a vast number of singles and LPs and while I listen to music almost constantly at home, my nature is a bit obsessive so I will play my favourites of the moment to the exclusion of most else.  I love having friends over and always let them choose the music (ok, my music so it's not exactly magnanimous) which is often a treat.

Recently have started playing (over and over, of course!) some old favourites that had only played in my head for many years....the Byrds....the Malarians (Western Mass band from the 80s)....the Shop Assistants (80s Edinburgh band, fuzz distortion sound like J&MC but with a lovely, sweet-sounding female vocalist)....Booker T and the MGs....and the greatest record I ever found "The History of Northwest Rock, Volume 1".