Dynamic Duos

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Dynamic Duos

They write the songs that make the whole world sing.  So, before this sappy lyric takes over your subconscious, give us your favorite songwriting duos.  This may include catalogs that were credited to both even as certain songs were clearly written by one person or the other.

These partnerships fascinate me, especially when one of them is not a musician but a lyricist/poet who's found a kindred spirit to set their words to music.

Let's get some of the obvious choices out of the way first:

Lennon/McCartney
    Whitfield/Strong
    Jagger/Richards
    Daltrey/Townsend
    Page/Plant

Other Notables:

King/Goffin
    Garcia/Hunter
    Weir/Barlow
    Anastasio/Marshall
    Taupin/John (nee Dwight)
    Fagen/Becker

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Dynamic Duos

Matty, I don't think there was a Daltrey/Townshend duo.  Almost all of the Who's songs are credited to Pete alone. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Marr/ Morrissey
    Joe Strummer/Mick Jones
    Bono/Edge
    Bacharach/David. They wrote some great stuff.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

writing together is an interesting dynamic, but when one person brings a song to the table and members of the band work on it, the original writer's ability to feed off others' input is what really shows a truly well oiled band IMO.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to Re: Dynamic Duos:
    [QUOTE]Except for the occasional instrumental jam that was credited to the entire band,  Allman and Betts *never* wrote anything together. Both almost always worked alone.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[

I edited the post. I was under the false impression that the two had collaborated on a number of the bands classics such as Midnight Rider, Whipping Post, Rambling Man et al, which were were later attributed to either one or the other.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]And on the flip side you have Robbie Robertson, who never worked by himself, except when it was time to visit the publisher. I hear Paul Simon is also a bit of a thief, although he clearly makes the material all his own in the final product. Polar,  Dickie was heavily into Country and it shows in alot of his work.  Allman is pretty much a straight Blues guy.  It's pretty easy to hear the stylistic differences w/o even checking the liner notes.   It would've been interesting to see what they would have come up with working together, but I think from 75-76 onward they didn't even trust or like each other.  Not after Gregg became a narc.  And now, well, Dickie's totally addled by drugs, which is why he was fired. 
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Good stuff. I had heard from someone  at Sony who worked on the Allman Brothers' "UNplugged," show on MTV back in 92 (I think), that there was a wall between Betts and Allman and it was pretty clear they did not like each other. I was not sure why.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

paul simon is a thief only in the regard of taking different influences and styles and incorporating them into his own sound.  he is truly a genius. there is a great article in rolling stone from a few issues ago that is definitely worth checking out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Leiber and Stoller had a huge influence on American music.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff wrote many monster hits for soul artists, and others.

Written AND PRODUCED over 170 gold and platinum records.

The O'Jays, Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes, Dionne Warwick among others have had hits with their songs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Matty, I don't think there was a Daltrey/Townshend duo.  Almost all of the Who's songs are credited to Pete alone. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected....my bad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Who was the other guy in Eurythmics?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]Who was the other guy in Eurythmics?
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Dave Stewart ... Ended up being a pretty good producer                     

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil were another of the big hitwriting duos of the Sixties.  Their catalogue includes 'We Gotta Get Out of This Place', 'Kicks', 'On Broadway', and "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling' (with Phil Spector).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Difford /Tillbrook of Squeeze are right at the top of my songwriting list
    Stummer/Jones of the Clash

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Agree with leafs on Difford and Tillbrook. They were really touted back in the 80's and wrote a lot of great pieces.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]Adding to my tangent list of guys who took all the credit, but shouldn't have: Chuck Berry Johnny Johnson should've received credits on nearly all of Chuck's hits. Eventually prodded by Keith Richards, he did try, but the case was tossed.  The real early ones especially, were Johnson instrumentals that Berry added lyrics to well after the music was set.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]

Yes, I just read about that in Keef's auto-bio...Johnson was driving a bus or something in St. Louis when Richards tapped him for the "Hail, Hail..." film.  He ended up being feted for the rest of his life as a result.

Equally notable was Richards' ultimate disappointment with his idol as being somewhat less than a legend close-up.

Fascinating stuff...

Sections
Shortcuts