1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ed Sheeran

Ed Sheeran is a singer-songwriter who has only been on the American radar for a couple of years, and wouldn't you know, Taylor Swift noticed him not long ago, too.  Sheeran wrote the song, "Everything Has Changed" for Swift's album Red.   Small world. 

Sheeran performed on the recent tribute to the Beatles program, singing an acoustic version of "In My Life", doing a very fine job; it was one of my favorites.   Having his picture taken with and meeting Paul McCartney following the program was apparently a big moment for the 22-year old English singer.

That's right, Sheeran is 22, and started his career at age 16, when he moved to London. 

Sheeran has only one studio album at this point in his upstart career, but has quite a few EP's to his name.  Performing at the Foxxhole (doing open mic), he was actually noticed by Jamie Foxx, who liked him so much, he offered him the use of his recording studio.   He released an EP, and ultimately signed with Asylum records.   I happen to truly like his most well-known hit, "The A Team" which (unbeknownst to me ...) was nominated for a Grammy last year, when he was also nominated for Best New Artist. 

In true "6 degrees of separation" style, in relation to other discussion threads here lately, Ed Sheeran spent most of 2013 as the opening act for Taylor Swift's "Red" tour.    Elton John is also one of his fans; the two sang "The A Team" together at the Grammy Awards show. 

I have the impression that Sheeran has lots of respect for those that came before him.,   

He has a second album coming up this year.   He's a sweet, directed young folk / pop singer, who has also done some rap, and while he may not land on your radar, I believe he has a great deal of potential and look forward to seeing his star rise.   

A couple of songs you may recognize:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAWcs5H-qgQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4BLVznuWnU  (a sweet pop song)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Ed Sheeran

This reminds me of a past New Years Eve watching TV and seeing this young boy performing and I didn't have a clue who he was. I asked my wife, and she didn't either. Turns out it was Justin Bieber. I thought he was a pretty good singer at the time, but just couldn't get over how young he looked. Now, of course, you almost can't go a day without seeing his name or picture in the news. Unbelievable that he was totally unknown to me at the time. First time I ever saw or heard of Ed Sheeran was on the Beatles tribute. Maybe this Sheeran kid will be the next big thing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This reminds me of a past New Years Eve watching TV and seeing this young boy performing and I didn't have a clue who he was. I asked my wife, and she didn't either. Turns out it was Justin Bieber. I thought he was a pretty good singer at the time, but just couldn't get over how young he looked. Now, of course, you almost can't go a day without seeing his name or picture in the news. Unbelievable that he was totally unknown to me at the time. First time I ever saw or heard of Ed Sheeran was on the Beatles tribute. Maybe this Sheeran kid will be the next big thing.

[/QUOTE]

I understand ... but please do not 'eqate'  them in any way.  :)  Let Sheeran stand on his own.  

There are loads of new, young, emerging male artists I could have selected; I chose Ed Sheeran for a reason; tried to make that clear in my post.     I hope Sheeran will be known for his "music" first, and not for his antics, or the style of his pants or hair.   Nuff said.  :)   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Froggod's sake...Ed Sheeran?  Yoga, c'mon....I don't like U2, or Frank Sinatra, or Pixies, or post-Barratt Floyd, etc.....but that's just personal taste, I think they all are quality.

But Ed Sheeran?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Froggod's sake...Ed Sheeran?  Yoga, c'mon....I don't like U2, or Frank Sinatra, or Pixies, or post-Barratt Floyd, etc.....but that's just personal taste, I think they all are quality.

But Ed Sheeran?

[/QUOTE]

Okay, I was tying this onto the Taylor Swift thread ... at the time.   Maybe I was just ... blanking ... it happens.

Okay, how about the Paley Brothers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlu7Bi9mOc

Or

Alfa 9  (I really wanted to ask you about this):

Imagine the Byrds circa ’65 – ’67, sonically toughened up and thrown headlong into the new millennium. Then imagine yourself purchasing the sophomore album from this UK combo and wondering where they’ve been all your life. “Into the Light” is definitely one of the best songs these ears were treated to in 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17JVoz8iKi4

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But Ed Sheeran?

[/QUOTE]

Okay, I was tying this onto the Taylor Swift thread ... at the time.   Maybe I was just ... blanking ... it happens.

Okay, how about the Paley Brothers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlu7Bi9mOc

Or

Alfa 9  (I really wanted to ask you about this):

Imagine the Byrds circa ’65 – ’67, sonically toughened up and thrown headlong into the new millennium. Then imagine yourself purchasing the sophomore album from this UK combo and wondering where they’ve been all your life. “Into the Light” is definitely one of the best songs these ears were treated to in 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17JVoz8iKi4

[/QUOTE]

Yoga, you must know by now that I like and respect you very much even though our musical taste is only a somewhat overlapping Venn diagram.  Paley Brothers?  Never heard of them before - happy to listen.  Taylor Swift?  Know of her muisic, will politely not comment.  Sheeran?  Oof.  "Alfa 9"?  Byrds-like?  That's high praise.  I'm on it now. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

But Ed Sheeran?

[/QUOTE]

Ah, the question of quality. How does one define it? We've danced around this concept in other threads, yet come up with nothing definitive. It's a pet topic of mine. Can we separate the concept of quality from personal opinion? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Update:  Alfa 9?:  I don't think I could hate their sound more than I do, honestly.  No drummer, right?  (the death knell, IMO, if one aspires to be a proper band you need not just an proper drummer but a good one).  I've listened to 3 of their songs.....can't hear an analog instrument.....educate me if I'm ignorant.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But Ed Sheeran?

[/QUOTE]

Ah, the question of quality. How does one define it? We've danced around this concept in other threads, yet come up with nothing definitive. It's a pet topic of mine. Can we separate the concept of quality from personal opinion? 

[/QUOTE]

DD, I can't believe you wrote what you just did!  I have always, and always will, make a big effort to make that distinction really clear i.e. "I like" vs "I think it's good" or "I don't like it" vs "I think it's bad".  Didn't I write earlier that I don't like U2, Pixies, etc. but I think they are talented but not to my taste?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

Yoga, you must know by now that I like and respect you very much even though our musical taste is only a somewhat overlapping Venn diagram.  Paley Brothers?  Never heard of them before - happy to listen.  Taylor Swift?  Know of her muisic, will politely not comment.  Sheeran?  Oof.  "Alfa 9"?  Byrds-like?  That's high praise.  I'm on it now. 

[/QUOTE]

Sonics:

Clarification:  This thread was started on the *heels* of the Swift / Bob Dylan thread.   Sheeran toured with Swift ... just me connecting some ill-fitting dots.

Hey, there's also the concept of posting "for fun" --!  

Me?  Don't know, collect, or respond to Swift's music, and that's unlikely to change.  She doesn't need me, and I doubt she'd miss me even if she knew me.  :P

I read about some off-beat albums on a blog that I checked out, hence, the Paley Bros. and Alfa 9.    The Paley Bros. are from the bygone 1970's era, Alfa 9 is a new band, from the UK, so I was wondering if you knew of them / what you think.    Later.  :)  x

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But Ed Sheeran?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

DD, I can't believe you wrote what you just did!  I have always, and always will, make a big effort to make that distinction really clear i.e. "I like" vs "I think it's good" or "I don't like it" vs "I think it's bad".  Didn't I write earlier that I don't like U2, Pixies, etc. but I think they are talented but not to my taste?

[/QUOTE]

But you also implied that Ed Sheeran is low quality in addition to not liking him. What is faulty with his quality?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

But Ed Sheeran?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But you also implied that Ed Sheeran is low quality in addition to not liking him. What is faulty with his quality?

[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to imply - and don't think I did, you may have inferred otherwise - that Ed Sheeran's music is low quality. When I read your comment just now I checked....I earlier wrote both "But Ed Sheeran?" and "Sheeran?  Oof".

I think his music is extremely vanilla and boring. Did I make a value judgement?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]

Update:  Alfa 9?:  I don't think I could hate their sound more than I do, honestly.  No drummer, right?  (the death knell, IMO, if one aspires to be a proper band you need not just an proper drummer but a good one).  I've listened to 3 of their songs.....can't hear an analog instrument.....educate me if I'm ignorant.

[/QUOTE]

I think "Into the Light" is Byrds-like and a pretty good song. I went to their website to listen to some songs because YouTube seemed to have some other music by Alpha 9 that didn't seem to be from this band. It was a bit confusing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think "Into the Light" is Byrds-like and a pretty good song. I went to their website to listen to some songs because YouTube seemed to have some other music by Alpha 9 that didn't seem to be from this band. It was a bit confusing.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. The Alfa 9 tracks I played last night I did not like, this one I do.  A lot.  I love the jangly, 12-string-y Byrds sound.

There's a band  named The Higher State you might like if you like the Byrds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmBpTuB5qHw).  Very talented guys, IMO.  The drummer, Mole, is a top man and played git in two of my favourite bands in the distant past:

The Embrooks:  Super, ultra, fooocking Mod, better than any 60s Mod music I know of:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmBpTuB5qHw

The Mystreated:  Freakbeat extroidanaire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1obSptQ-hc