Elton John - Artist of the Day

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Elton John - Artist of the Day

I thought Elton would be a good subject matter. He ranks in the top 5 selling RnR artists of all-time selling well over 250 million albums. Candle in the Wind is the biggest selling single of all time. To be honest, I started losing interest in his work at the release of Capt. Fantastic. But I doubt I was being fair. It was too much to expect of him to match Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

As he now enters his 5th decade, know one knows for sure what to expect. I had seen his live show several times at MSG back in the 70's and I also saw his one man performance at the Paladium (Great Show).

What are your opinions of this artistic yet controversial star.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: Elton John - Artist of the Day

One of my neighbors at the dormitory of the school that I went to was a big Elton fan, always left his door open, thus I got exposed to Someone Saved My Life, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, and Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me . Those songs got stuck in my head for days upon days even though they were about 10 years old at the time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Good pick Jessey.Elton started his career with some amazing music.The first album I had was Honk-y Chateau back in 1972.It had some good songs like Rocket Man,Honk-y Cat and I think I'm going to kill myself.He peaked with the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album.IMO,no collection is complete without it.My favorite song was All the girls love Alice on it.It seems after that his music started going in a different direction.I still appreciate his talent,but not really his music after GoodBye Yellow Brick Road

It wouldn't let me post the word h-o-n-k-y for the album or song.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The first album I ever heard of his was the Greatest Hits Album that came out in the mid-70s, and all those songs are great. His best stuff IMO is from the 1970s, but I don't mind some of his later stuff.

I think his best album is Mad Man Across the Water, even better than Goodbye Yellow Brick Road -- I think it's deeper in terms of good songs. GYBR has some clunkers in my opinion mixed in with some all-time classics.

My favorite songs are Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding and Yellow Brick Road.

Of course he has a lot of great songs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

If this guy had stopped at Madman Across the Water we would all bow in obeiseance to the genius we were lucky enough to find with him and his boy Bernie Taupin.

Sadly . . .

he did not.

I want to love what Reggie gave us . . .

unforunately, one of the things he gave us was Don't Go Breaking My Heart . . .

and far too many other things just like it.

Holiday Inn is very high on the list of Best Songs Ever . . .

but it can only make up for so many Island Girls and England's Roses.

I'm sorry to have to feel this way . . .

but when you break it down . . .

Reggie s*cks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I liked his early albums, I loved Don't Shoot Me, Yellow Brick Road and Captain Fantastic albums.  Since then, hit or miss.  All in all a hugely talented composer and artist who has given us a lot of great music.  The less said about his personal life the better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Elton John - Artist of the Day:
    If this guy had stopped at Madman Across the Water we would all bow in obeiseance to the genius we were lucky enough to find with him and his boy Bernie Taupin. Sadly . . . he did not. I want to love what Reggie gave us . . . unforunately, one of the things he gave us was Don't Go Breaking My Heart . . . and far too many other things just like it. Holiday Inn is very high on the list of Best Songs Ever . . . but it can only make up for so many Island Girls and England's Roses . I'm sorry to have to feel this way . . . but when you break it down . . . Reggie s*cks.
    Posted by p-mike

I don't mind "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" if for no other reason, Valerie Bertinelli and MacKenzie Phillips sang the song on an episode of One Day At A Time, and I had a crush on Valerie Bertinelli back in the day. (Maybe that's why I don't like Van Halen LOL). So if the song was good enough for her, it was good enough for me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Elton John - Artist of the Day : I don't mind "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" if for no other reason, Valerie Bertinelli and MacKenzie Phillips sang the song on an episode of One Day At A Time, and I had a crush on Valerie Bertinelli back in the day. (Maybe that's why I don't like Van Halen LOL). So if the song was good enough for her, it was good enough for me.
    Posted by royf19

See - that's a good memory.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Elton John - Artist of the Day : See - that's a good memory.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I remember all my salacious thoughts of my teen years. Cool

And Kiki Dee's voice matched well with Elton's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Elton John - Artist of the Day : I remember all my salacious thoughts of my teen years.  And Kiki Dee's voice matched well with Elton's.
    Posted by royf19

I hope you still have some of those thoughts every now and then.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

After Madman was released, I think he moved strictly into the "pop music" category and became irrelevant and annoying.  Plus, unfortunately, everything he ever released was overplayed to death on the radio, and still is.  I'm sure there are some good deep album cuts, but I can't remember any....

I mean, Crocodile Rock, really?  One of the very worst songs in history. 

Sorry, Sir Elton, but not a fan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I'm more of a singles guy w/ Elton, though GBYBR and MATW are classic albums. There is nothing quite like Sir Elton bashing away at those keys, esp. his early stuff.  The man is an unquestioned virtuoso on the piano and his mastery of pop craft and pop trends is legendary. An icon in popular music.

My Elton mix:

Madman Across the Water
    Take Me To The Pilot
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Amoreena
    Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters
    Burn Down The Mission
    The B(i)tch Is Back
    Your Song
    All The Girls Love Alice
    Harmony
    Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
    Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I never really considered Elton John to be Rock music. Really more 'pop' than anything.

Still, I liked his music in the early days. I would say 'Benny and the Jets' was my favorite ( no clue what it is all about). The song about the guy who named his kid 'Jesus' is pretty good too.

I absolutley hate Philadelphia Freedom, don't know why it was necessary to write a song about a lesbian pro tennis player, even though she was one of the best.

I was about sick of his music around 1975.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

I agree with most of the posts -- his early years were his best, don't care so much for his more recent efforts, with one exception. Elton plays piano on the title track of Alice In Chains latest disc, Black Gives Way to Blue. It's a tribute to Layne, whose first concert was apparently Elton John. The band wanted to include piano in the song, which is very uncharacteristic of their music, and didn't know who to get to play on the track. Someone during the recording session jokingly suggested "why don't you call Elton John?". So they did. It is excellent; I almost get choked up listening to it, but then again I am a big AIC fan.

There are two versions on the cd, he plays on the piano mix (obviously).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

I'm more of a singles guy w/ Elton, though GBYBR and MATW are classic albums. There is nothing quite like Sir Elton bashing away at those keys, esp. his early stuff.  The man is an unquestioned virtuoso on the piano and his mastery of pop craft and pop trends is legendary. An icon in popular music. My Elton mix: Madman Across the Water Take Me To The Pilot Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Amoreena Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters Burn Down The Mission The B(i)tch Is Back Your Song All The Girls Love Alice Harmony Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Pretty good mix ... I'd leave them all in and add:

Sixty Years On
    Where To Now St. Peter
    Levon
    Indian Sunset
    This Song Has No Title
    Grey Seal
    (the last two to segue after GYBR as on the album)

Sections
Shortcuts