Essential Neil Young

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Essential Neil Young

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DeadAhead, TCal has posted here before. Not real frequently, but enough so that we all should know him.

Maybe you are letting comments from a sports forum carry over into this one.

There was nothing troll like or silly about the comment TCal made. It appears you two have had arguments that left a scar. That's a shame, I have learned to ignore people when they p*ss me off.....and I've been posting on BDC forums long enough for it to have happened often.

I did recently respond to a poster on the Political forums who indicated that I was "ignorant." Not that I care what this person thinks, but I felt an insult like that deserved a response. I left it at that and went on with my life.

Perhaps TCal has insulted you at some point. We don't know if that is true or not. But, please try not to destroy a good thread with some kind of payback. 

I've learned to just ignore posters who tick me off. 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but I don't think trolls should be welcome though either. Also, this thread crapped out a lot earlier. It went from Neil Young to I don't know what.

[/QUOTE]

Most threads do that. Kind of a stream of conciousness thing. I think it's kind of cool.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Going off on tangents are my bread and butter.

[/QUOTE]

Some of our best discussions are the ones that go off the beaten path.

If a poster believes a thread " crapped out" , why would he still check in and read the latest post if not still interested?

I'm not going to spend a lot of time defending TCal, just not sure where the trollish behaviour mentioned was detected...certainly not on the music forum....I know of a few "trolls" on BDC, but a "troll" is not just someone who certain people dislike, they are posters who instigate trouble time and time again. 

If TCal is a "troll" it is news to me. I can't say I've ever felt that term was appropriate for this poster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

If you're looking for some interesting,hard to find Neil Young performances,you may want to try this link.There's a lot of good stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL442FE8A6717E409E

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Essential Neil Young, sophisticated Australian, military intelligence, sexy Englishman, enlightened Russian, sober Dane, interesting vegan, organised Italian, chilled German, intellectual Canadian (bar McLuhan and Galbraith), and celibate priest.  ;-)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

My best answer....and I could answer the question in many ways.....

The question: Does a song have only one meaning, the meaning intended by the songwriter?

...my answer is: you have a writer, he has thoughts and experiences. He is going to draw heavily on his own experiences....but what if the song is a fantasy?....they still draw on the songwriter's experience, only (possibly) exaggerated. Some are just wild fantasy, some are completely true stories.....do we care?

So far I have answered a question with another question.

We all have an imagination. You can visualize a song or a book or a painting any way you wish. None of these would ever be wrong. 

I made the mistake of seeing 'The Pelican Brief' by John Grisham in the movies before reading the book. I like Denzel Washington a whole lot, but when I finally read the book I kept picturing the main character as Denzel, when in the book, no mention is made of him being African American...in fact it appears that Grisham did not indicate what color he was, but it doesn't appear that he was intended to be non-white. You may think this is a minor point ( and it is to some degree....but I only pictured the main character as Black, because some movie makers cast a Black actor in the title role) I could also say that the opposite is sometimes true. Before I ever saw Freddie Lynn play baseball, I somehow pictured him as Black.....my brother-in-law said the same thing to me....years ago.

The beauty of art, is we can look at ( or hear ) something and perceive it in a totally different way. 

Many songs by Neil Young can be taken differently by different people, he uses words so well, it just keeps you thinking. An example is 'Star Of Bethlehem' , which is not Neil Young's Christmas song ( he's never done one)....it is a song about hope and disappointment all in less than 100 words....simple, yet complex all at the same time, as is 'The Loner','Danger Bird', 'I Am A Child' and 'Roll Another Number.'

[/QUOTE]

Hi Zilla.  I think and talk about this a lot. To me, "art" is about an artist trying to convey his/her feelings to others through their media.  I despise and mock "conceptual art" i.e. smarter-than-thou BS.  You wrote "The beauty of art, is we can look at (or hear) something and perceive it in a totally different way."  I think there is a lot of merit in that....THAT'S ART, RIGHT!  But, to me, while the interpretation of art is highly personal and somewhat subjective.....if someone views, say, Guernica, and thinks it's about bullfighting...they are totally wrong, absurdly so, and have missed the point entirely.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]

If a poster believes a thread " crapped out" , why would he still check in and read the latest post if not still interested?

I'm not going to spend a lot of time defending TCal, just not sure where the trollish behaviour mentioned was detected...certainly not on the music forum....I know of a few "trolls" on BDC, but a "troll" is not just someone who certain people dislike, they are posters who instigate trouble time and time again. 

If TCal is a "troll" it is news to me. I can't say I've ever felt that term was appropriate for this poster.

[/QUOTE]

2000+ posts in 20 days after the 20th banning of 2013.    Need I say more?  Out of respect for posters here I decided a while ago to ignore him on this board.

By the way, not knowing that Black Sabbath is a song (and a F'ing awesome one at that) is probably the most EPIC FAIL of all EPIC FAILS in the history of any Music forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t24PsZxohY

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

2000+ posts in 20 days after the 20th banning of 2013.    Need I say more?  Out of respect for posters here I decided a while ago to ignore him on this board.

By the way, not knowing that Black Sabbath is a song (and a F'ing awesome one at that) is probably the most EPIC FAIL of all EPIC FAILS in the history of any Music forum.

[/QUOTE]

I would like to respectfully suggest that Billie Holiday, Mike Watt, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Chuck Berry, James Brown, Cab Calloway, Booker T. Jones, the Monks, the Sonics, Husker Du, ad infinitum....might possibly mictorate all over that Black Sabbath thingy.  ;-)

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, I've given the Neil Young thing some thought, and I've decided that my only real issue with him is his sound.  I guess it's just a little too folk or country for my taste.  Also maybe it's that I find a lot of his material too mournful or melancholy.  The stuff of this that I really like, not surprisingly I guess, is the high-energy rock stuff.

One of his songs that I love is 'Downtown' from the Mirrorball album.  That is the kind of Neil Young sound that really works for me. 

[/QUOTE]

BY far the best song on what should have been a better record.  I remember that one blasting loud in the summer of '95.

It sounds like you when he's with Crazy Horse only.  PJ channeled that sound quite well as his backing band on that one.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you've got me right.  I have his live double CD 'Weld' with Crazy Horse and I love that.     

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Have you seen the new 300:Rise of an Empire trailer featuring War Pigs? Sends shivers down the spine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Rzy7YqUVU&t=1m13s

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

DeadAhead, TCal has posted here before. Not real frequently, but enough so that we all should know him.

Maybe you are letting comments from a sports forum carry over into this one.

There was nothing troll like or silly about the comment TCal made. It appears you two have had arguments that left a scar. That's a shame, I have learned to ignore people when they p*ss me off.....and I've been posting on BDC forums long enough for it to have happened often.

I did recently respond to a poster on the Political forums who indicated that I was "ignorant." Not that I care what this person thinks, but I felt an insult like that deserved a response. I left it at that and went on with my life.

Perhaps TCal has insulted you at some point. We don't know if that is true or not. But, please try not to destroy a good thread with some kind of payback. 

I've learned to just ignore posters who tick me off. 

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but I don't think trolls should be welcome though either. Also, this thread crapped out a lot earlier. It went from Neil Young to I don't know what.

[/QUOTE]

Most threads do that. Kind of a stream of conciousness thing. I think it's kind of cool.

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, I am just saying, this thread went into no-man's land a while ago.

[/QUOTE]

I will take the blame fro sending this thread on a tangent with my comment about Disco and "meaningless lyrics".....but this is not totally unrelated as Neil Young is a master at "meaningful" lyrics.....I was just making a point, but , yes, it sent the thread careening down a new path.

Your pot shots at Tcal, took us completely off the subject, and for that you ar as responsible as I am for taking us into "no-man's land."

But for a thread that is so pathetically dead and spiraling into the depths of boredom and useless banter, it is amazing how we both still check in with it , to see what new useless chatter has appeared for us to scoff at.

I would like to apologize to yoga for helping to spoil a good thread. But. by now, she knows me well enough to know that I get carried away often.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to mikzor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have you seen the new 300:Rise of an Empire trailer featuring War Pigs? Sends shivers down the spine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Rzy7YqUVU&t=1m13s

[/QUOTE]

That was freaking Sweet mikzor.  Thanks for the link.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Essential Neil Young, sophisticated Australian, military intelligence, sexy Englishman, enlightened Russian, sober Dane, interesting vegan, organised Italian, chilled German, intellectual Canadian (bar McLuhan and Galbraith), and celibate priest.  ;-)

[/QUOTE]

Watch out Hfx...incoming! Tongue Out

Sections
Shortcuts