Faces (the band)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Faces (the band)

I got an email from Wolfgang's Vault recently, with a video announcement for (Rod Stewart and) 'The' Faces.

Prior to hearing them mentioned here, I'd never heard of Faces; my only experience was with Rod Stewart, and that experience has never been a good one.  Not a fan in the least.

However, in taking the time to listen to Faces, I was floored as to the quality and the difference in the rock, including Stewart, fronting the band.   Day and night.  

I did read that Rod Stewart was ill when Faces was recently inducted into the RnR HoF (shame), and could not, therefore, perform with them for the ceremony.   But why has Faces had such a low profile in terms of their history or acclaim?   Under-appreciated (except for Ron Wood)?   Any back story?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Faces (the band)

"Stay With Me" and "Had Me A Real Good Time" are classics, and a handful of tracks are pretty darn good, too.

I think ambition, inconsistency and personal tensions were part of the downfall of Faces.  Stewart, Lane and Wood bailed.  Each album is a right turn from the last.  In the early 70s, maybe they just didn't stand out enough or as distinctly as the bigger bands of the day.

Yet, they had a ragged, garage-y quality to them that I always liked.  The Black Crowes are probably their closest stylistic heirs (and not at all shy about it).  Many people would call the band sloppy, unfocused and better known as a way station than a destination.  But rock n' roll needn't always be pretty or precious or precise, and Faces were an excellent symbol of that theme.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Steve Marriott ( spelled like the hotels) was a highly regarded singer/guitarist both with the Small Faces and  Humble Pie.

The Faces is a later version of the Small Faces without Marriott.

I never was very impressed with the FACES , aside form a few hits, they are sort of a "footnote" in Rock history.

I did however like Steve Marriott , Humble Pie ( see also Peter Frampton) and the Small Faces.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I get those same e-mails from Wolfgang's Vault, I rarely get a chance to view very many. I must have about 15-20 sitting in my inbox , I delete the ones that don't interest me and save the good ones for later. But I spend so little time at the computer that later usually never comes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Stewart was also with the Jeff Beck Group for a couple of years,before the Faces. "A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse" album was pretty good,but I prefer the early Rod Stewart solo stuff with Ronnie Wood better."'Every picture" was a great album,but "A night on the town"."Blondes have more fun" and "Never a dull moment" are  albums that are easy to listen to as well. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6iTWaKoZ5U

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:

Yup sloppy is the first word that comes to mind.   They weren't particularly proficient on their instruments.  Stewart projected an arrogant and condescending air.   His last words on that live album, 'Thank you for your money', ugh, awful.   And most of those hits may have included Faces backing him, but they were on Stewart solo albums.  If you have 'Every Picture', a solo Stewart album, you have close to everything you need from this crew.

Thanks, all.   

Slim, I can't stand Stewart either, but his arrogance on stage was probably one of his success factors.  Ugh is right on the money, though.  

The idea that Faces was actually backing him is another question.   Many solo acts name themselves via a band name (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, for one - I mean, isn't Tom Petty a solo act?) -- so that's another reason Faces was odd, perhaps.   They didn't have the dedication they would have needed to proceed as a band because they were a backing band for Stewart all along?   When you get right down to it,  maybe they were also a band that had a shelf life, and that's that.  Many do.  

I just figured if they got into the RnR HoF (shame), they must have accomplised something noteworthy; as we are aware, that's such an honor. (Cough) 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

I get those same e-mails from Wolfgang's Vault, I rarely get a chance to view very many. I must have about 15-20 sitting in my inbox , I delete the ones that don't interest me and save the good ones for later. But I spend so little time at the computer that later usually never comes.

I delete most of them, too.   I receive them in an email account that doesn't interfere with my more important (choke) email, and since they're free, I have no problem deleting them.  

I use them as "flags" so to speak, on the rare occasion (such as with Faces) the band they're featuring is a band I have wanted to check out.    I like the archival aspect of the Vault, even if all I do is read the subject line or the brief description before deleting. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I saw them perform Stay With Me at the 2012 R and R Hall of Fame concert, with Mick Hucknall from Simply Red taking the vocal.  Ron Wood surprised me with some good guitar.

But as for these guys being in the Hall of Fame ahead of Deep Purple...don't get me started.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, for one - I mean, isn't Tom Petty a solo act?---------No

Maybe I didn't phrase what I meant very well, Greg.  Otherwise, I'll go out on a limb and ask for a second opinion.   :P

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Rod the Mod as a vocalist and frontman is as good as it gets. But the band "The Faces" was in fact the end of one of the greatest garage bands ever "The Small Faces". As mentioned by Zilla - they were a highky influential band. As for Rod moving on with his solo career from that point, Every Picture Tells a Story is a masterpiece and was followed up by many excellent albums. When Wood departed Rod's side to join the Stones, Rod lost his edge and created a horrible disco album. He followed it up with some decent albums, but most had a lot of filler on them.

FTR - In the 60's, he was a shy frontman, especially with The Jeff Beck Group, but by the 70's, he put on great shows.

15. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts