Favorite Artist Game - Starting a New One or so I thought

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Favorite Artist Game - Starting a New One or so I thought

I was going to recreate the artist game with Lead Vocalist as the category and I stopped when I hit the 50th name on the list and realized that I was still missing another posssible 50. And I know that I don't know the top vocalists from the last decade. My mind kind of stops at bands like Radiohead and Coldplay.

Anyone have any suggestions on how we can do this? Maybe everyone picks their personal top 10 vocalists (male or female)for the list and we create a master sheet from that. And if one of your top 10 is already listed, don't add a replacement.

FYI - vocalist; not frontman. As great as David Lee Roth is, I don't think he is a particularly good singer, but that is just my opinion. But he is one of the great frontmen of all-time.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would offer this list:

Geoff Tate
    Roger Daltry
    Robert Plant
    Freddie Mercury
    Bruce Dickerson
    Chris Cornell
    Layne Staley
    David Bowie
    Ann Wilson
    John Lennon

What do you guys and gals think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Favorite Artist Game - Starting a New One or so I thought

radiohead's frontman is thom yorke...if you want to include him. chris martin, not so much haha.

freddie will run away with it from the start. i think the list needs to be longer than that. although favorite makes it more subjective.

steve perry has a flawless voice

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

If we are talking voices

Bono
    Jeff Buckley
    Rod Stewart
    Van Morrison
    Dave Wakeling
    Wayne Coyne
    Thom Yorke
    Peter Gabriel
    Jack Johnson
    Carl Wilson

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

ann wilson?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i love the flaming lips more than pretty much anything, but wayne coyne is pretty severely vocally challenged...

buckley is a superb choice

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Personally, you are better off waiting until the female rocker thread is near completion, IMHO.

Also, why don't we decide what we want to do next as a group.  I can tell you some of the threads I've seen done as well.  We might not want to do the male counterpart to female rockers.  Not sure.  

Also, IMHO, I do not want the forum to be a bunch of game threads.  The fun wears off very fast and the threads are an annoyance to discussions.  

I read a thread on a board where many of the regular posters do not enjoy game threads and didn't want to speak up until someone created a thread and then they all came out of the woodwork to chime in and say they are annoyed with the game threads.  I do not want to drive anyone away.

Trust me.  They wear thin after a while.  I'd suggest chiilling and waiting to start the thread -- and in the meantime, discuss what topic we want to do next. 

Please take this in the spirit it is given, to be honest and helpful (and loving).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

if any of you haven't heard Muse before, matt bellamy's voice is outstanding, recalls freddie mercury (and buckley). what a freakin range on bellamy. i recommend looking him up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

also i kind of agree that one at a time is a lot to handle...makes people get really involved. i am excited for the next one, though.

where are the trivia threads!!!!????

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Also, I have LOADS of ideas for discussions.  I think it's nice for all of us to contribute threads, so I do take a break and back off (also, I just don't always have time, which is annoying!  ha ha)  -- but it's not as though I have a shortage of ideas and topics to discuss. 

How about the rest of you? 

The input from the regular posters is awesome and that's how I learn, and believe me, I have implemented quite a bit of what I have learned here.

Smile

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite Artist Game - Starting a New One or so I thought:
    [QUOTE]also i kind of agree that one at a time is a lot to handle...makes people get really involved. i am excited for the next one, though. where are the trivia threads!!!!????
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    Do you really enjoy them?  Those were sort of my brainchild, too.  I didnt want them to get tiresome.

I seem to be the out-of-the-box thinker here, but I was worried of the "too much of a good thing" motif ruining it.  

But I have a few real killers --- I'm getting them ready so I can pounce on you when you least expect it. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

David Gilmour
    Jim Morrison

All you need is a set of headphones and these two voices to enjoy a slice of heaven.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]if any of you haven't heard Muse before, matt bellamy's voice is outstanding, recalls freddie mercury (and buckley). what a freakin range on bellamy. i recommend looking him up.

If I was to describe Muse it would be Freddie Merc fronting Radiohead

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Artist Game - Starting a New One or so I thought : If I was to describe Muse it would be Freddie Merc fronting Radiohead
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

yeah, to describe the music i think i would say rage against the machine meets radiohead...in their earlier days they were very intense...radiohead never quite crossed that threshold.  chord progressions are very radiohead, but bellamy can riff with the best of them on the ax. one of the most all around talented dudes and they put on an absolutely killer live show. i've seen them 4 times, and i will go every time that they come around. unbelievable. 

vocals are very much freddie though. as of late their music has been almost operatic at times, and incredibly queen influenced.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Black Holes and Revelations is as good an album as one could ever want ... I haven't seen them live but have seen a live show that was on TV.  It looked pretty good.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

So if I was to say Shane MacGowan I'd be wrong?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

How about

Bernard Sumner
    Jeff Tweety
    Pete Yorn
    Robert Smith
    Paul McCartney.......?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Like I said, I just listed 10 real fast, my original list before I cleared it was over 50 and included just about everyone you all mentioned. And I had another 50 in my head.

OK - let's wait until the ladies are finished. But I would reiterate that best lead vocalist could also be a lady. Ann Wilson and Pat Benetar's voice can pretty much match up with anyone's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]Black Holes and Revelations is as good an album as one could ever want ... I haven't seen them live but have seen a live show that was on TV.  It looked pretty good.
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

yeah, black holes is pretty awesome...origin of symmetry is the hardest rocking, but the one in between (Absolution) is IMHO one of the most complete albums i have ever heard, an amazing blend of sounds and styles. i prefer it to black holes, but that could just be my taste.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Artist Game - Starting a New One or so I thought : yeah, black holes is pretty awesome...origin of symmetry is the hardest rocking, but the one in between (Absolution) is IMHO one of the most complete albums i have ever heard, an amazing blend of sounds and styles. i prefer it to black holes, but that could just be my taste.

not that familiar with that album.... I am rectifying that right now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Women on another list such as this seems a little bogus to me.  Sorry. 

Why don't we do albums instead of performers?  Live albums?  Or best albums from a certain decade?  

Maybe we should do something different in the next thread.  Shake things up, you know.

But if this gets traction, so be it.  Put Eddie Vedder on the list. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Women on another list such as this seems a little bogus to me.  Sorry.  Why don't we do albums instead of performers?  Live albums?  Or best albums from a certain decade?   Maybe we should do something different in the next thread.  Shake things up, you know. But if this gets traction, so be it.  Put Eddie Vedder on the list. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

The first one which we are doing now is favorite/greatest female rock artist

Lead singer can be male or female. I would put Pat Benetar's singing ability right there with Robert Plant. Why should a woman not have the same rights as a man in the lead vocalist category?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Joe Strummer
    Frank Black
    Morrisey
    Robert Smith
    Shane MacGowan
    John Doe

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Artist Game - Starting a New One or so I thought : The first one which we are doing now is favorite/greatest female rock artist Lead singer can be male or female. I would put Pat Benetar's singing ability right there with Robert Plant. Why should a woman not have the same rights as a man in the lead vocalist category?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE] jessey, you know me well enough to have seen me time and time again be the *only* person here who addresses the female "voice" both literally and figuratively, so if anything, I would normally be the first in line to say to include women in that category.  No question. 

My sentiments are in context of the current game thread, and quite simply, not being repetitive.  I randomly chose the topic of that thread b/c after polling the group, I was the first person to post a thread of that style, and I thought it would be a universally fun topic.   To start "overlapping" the same names in a new game right now -- well, that seems repetitive.  Maybe if we did that thread in a few months, it wouldn't seem that way, but doing it now?  mmmmmm.

That's why I suggested a totally different topic for the next thread, and not doing another thread of performers.

We could do best/fave album of a (certain) decade, or best / fave live album, or even best band (not individuals) -- see what I mean?  Just something different for the next thread. 

So I hope this helps clarify my comment; I was looking at the thread in the context of the forum having fun with the thread and having the focus of the second thread be something different.  Hope that makes sense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am okay with have a category not attached to a singular entity in a band for now.

But just remember Yoga -

Rock Chicks Rule

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

It's your football, as Greg said to me.  I'll bow out and let you decide.  I just gave you my input, you don't need to take it (and I'm not in the least offended if you go in another direction, BTW, I want you to know that).  

I'll support whatever decision you make. 

Sections
Shortcuts