Favorite Brit Songwriters

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Favorite Brit Songwriters

@yoga:

Good call on Rafferty...often overlooked among 70s songwriters due to people likely knowing the songs, but maybe not the man.

"Baker Street" is an all-time classic groove.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

Jagger/Richards

Page/Plant

John/Taupin

Davies/Davies

Lennon/McCartney

Harrison

Drake

Winwood

Mason

Waters

Gilmour

Marriott

Stewart

Astbury/Duffy

Ashcroft

Yorke

Why are there no English chicks?  What is it?  Dusty Springfield wrote a few, but she wasn't a songwriter.

Annie Lennox/Stewart were pretty good

Christ, this guy had it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXdhi2TjCQ

Mere inches away from the lead singer spot in Zeppelin.  Mellencamp does a nice cover of this.

Are there (relatively) fewer English/British songwriting women than Yanks?  I don't think about gender much in songwriting terms, so off the top of my head:

Yanks:

• Deal
    • Donelly
    • Hersh
    • Poison Ivy
    • Hynde
    • Jett

Brits:

• PJ Harvey (though I'm not as big a fan as I am of those above)

Hmmm....this question interests me.  I'm not interested in poppy/crappy music like that Adele person warbles so won't include her and her ilk, but feel free to include whomever you like.

I must be missing loads of artists, perhaps it's my hangover "thinking".....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I should have added Donovan Leitch to my list

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Good call on Donovan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

Why are there no English chicks?  What is it?  Dusty Springfield wrote a few, but she wasn't a songwriter.

Annie Lennox/Stewart were pretty good

Are there (relatively) fewer English/British songwriting women than Yanks?  I don't think about gender much in songwriting terms, so off the top of my head:

Yanks:

• Deal
    • Donelly
    • Hersh
    • Poison Ivy
    • Hynde
    • Jett

Brits:

• PJ Harvey (though I'm not as big a fan as I am of those above)

Hmmm....this question interests me.  I'm not interested in poppy/crappy music like that Adele person warbles so won't include her and her ilk, but feel free to include whomever you like.

I must be missing loads of artists, perhaps it's my hangover "thinking".....

Good question, but ...

I named the thread "Favorite" not just "who's who" -- so there's no need to feel badly if there are no female Brit songwriters that aren't favorites.    Maybe there just aren't many that rise to the top tier, or who have been prolific enough to gain that status.  

Kate Bush and PJ Harvey are on my "starter" list (as well as Adele, for better or worse), and I added Lennox, but none are particular favorites of mine.    

Christine McVie is on my list, however.  

I did mention the aspect of "who? / where?" are the females earlier in the thread, feeling as though I was blanking, too.  I had a hard time naming Brits because as I went through my personal list, mine are exceedingly Canadian, Irish, and American, and there's no shortage.

Otherwise --  there may be many well-known British female song-writers, who did not reach fame in the USA; just b/c we don't know who they are, doesn't mean they don't exist.  Sonics might be able to dig up a few names, even if the rest of us can't.  

Maybe there are more the realm of Charlotte Church?   Even there, she's rare as a songwriter, not just a singer.  

Sections
Shortcuts