Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need)

In Response to Re: Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need):
    so wait, do you get ONE vote for sat and ONE for sunday, or ONE to do on either sat OR sunday?  i voted today, do i vote once on monday or twice? because that would essentially be me getting three votes if not. i dont know if this is a stupid question.
    Posted by phsmith8

Good questions.  (no stupid questions)   My reasoning is thus:

Voting Saturday and Sunday is legit.  Agreed.

If you vote both weekend days, then on Monday, one vote as usual.  Agreed.

If you only vote once over the weekend, then on Monday, one vote as usual. You do not get two votes. 

If you don't vote at all over the weekend, then you DO get two votes on Monday.

My reasoning is that it's only fair to be forgiving over the weekend, but to keep that forgiveness reasonable.  I don't think it's quite fair to allow 3 votes on Monday if you skip the entire weekend.  Just too much.

So if you're unable to vote on Sunday for any reason, you won't get two votes on Monday to make it up. 

Hope this makes sense and my reasoning seems fair, as fairness is my goal.  It's true that weekend voters end up with three (3) votes including Monday, and non-weekenders only get two (2).  

I'm actually being more forgiving than most people would be (most would just say it's tough if you're not around!), but we're friends here; therefore, bending the rules and being accomodating is the way to go.   :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i'll try to pop in here and see how many people vote tomorrow...i wouldn't feel right being the only one getting a vote on sunday.

thanks for your wisdom yogi

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

i'll try to pop in here and see how many people vote tomorrow...i wouldn't feel right being the only one getting a vote on sunday. thanks for your wisdom yogi
    Posted by phsmith8
    No problem.  I feel the same way ... but it is legit to vote over the weekend, and there's nothing to feel bad about.  Do you really think jessey would feel bad about such a ruling?  Doubt it.  ha ha.

BTW, I'm glad everyone is enjoying the game thread; it keeps getting more and more fun as it progresses. 

I knew everyone would like it.  It really is a bit of fun, isn't it? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

It is fun. Thanks yoga! :o)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Ditto on the thanks.  I actually see the game as being a good balance of friendly competition for our personal favorites and seeing how the "group" coalesces around a consensus of the final 3-4.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

It is fun. Thanks yoga! :o)
    Posted by digger0862

Sweet.  My pleasure. 

So glad you joined in!   =)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ditto on the thanks.  I actually see the game as being a good balance of friendly competition for our personal favorites and seeing how the "group" coalesces around a consensus of the final 3-4.
    Posted by gerbs

gerbs,
    It's really nice to see you here more often lately.  I continue to think of you as my fellow acapella fan.  I agree, the "group think" and voting pattern is an absolute riot to watch.  Reaching consensus?  I don't know about that!  =)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thanks for that point check, gerbs.  I have been giving the scoring a scan, and there have been a few inadvertent changes (up and down), but I was not around last night to see that, so good catch.  It doesn't have any bearing on jkj's scoring, as he took Nancy down a point and it all evens out.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, hopefully Matty and Slim will read the comments (see above comments that I wrote over the weekend) to see they are both entitled to vote twice. 

Leafswin, you didn't vote over the weekend, did you?  If not, you get two votes today as well.  Hope you read this comment. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next weekend, we might have to change over to ONE vote up and down per day, since it's a long weekend.  That's what I'm thinking.

Also, when we get to the final 4, (unless you want to wait until we get to the final 3)  we will have to reduce to one point per day.  Hope that makes sense.  Just wanted to let you know in advance. 
      Smile

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yoga - you are now the Master or Mistress of Ceremonies here.

Great little game and I can't wait to do this with other musicians.

I am finding that I am becoming a little more objective in my voting lately. Although some may think otherwise with my voting off of Joni Mitchell and Patti Smith. And although I do admit to an absolute dislike for Patti, I honestly and truly feel that she was an over-rated darling of hipsters. She was a horrible live performer and that comes from seeing her constantly back in the day. As for Joni, although she is a fine lyricist, I always thought she was somewhat put onto a pedastal that she really didn't belong on. But this is just one knuckleheads opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thanks, jessey.  Totally love being the Missy of Ceremonies!   :)

Funny about Joni -- I said I was leaving her off b/c she's not a real rocker, but Greg questioned leaving her off, so I gave her a spot (he was thinking more "greatest" than favorite rocker, IMHO).  Overall, you have to look at her as a singer / songwriter / musician.  In that way, she makes the grade.  I also added some other names that are long since gone.  But you know what?  Just shows the group "think" and we were all thinking the same thing. 

I've really enjoyed seeing some of the devotion toward some of the rockers on the list.  I totally enjoy seeing how people vote.  It's a little glimpse into musical taste and nostalgia in some cases.  So fun.  Man, I love this forum.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Sorry I'm late to the party but my vote(s) would have been for Patti Smith. She was/is a truly amazing artist as both a poet and singer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

who's in a bunker? who's in a bunker? 

she got voted off, mate

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

I'm baffled by all the love for the mediocre talents of Debbie Harry. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Very interesting, I know.   This is a "reality" thread, isn't it?   I feel like I've been left out of an alliance.  I need an alliance, if anyone is interested, call me. 
    SmileFunny, but I just heard "I'll Stand By You" a little while ago.  Seemed like an appropriate song before going into the faves thread today.  So here you go:

When you're standing at the crossroads
    And don't know which path to choose
    Let me come along
    'cause even if you're wrong
    I'll stand by you

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Slim - that is easy. She was really hot back in 1979 and she put a pretty face on punk which was pretty ugly up to that point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Yoga - for you, I will make any alliance and even sell my soul to the devil.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

so sultry!

i have been trying to ally over alanis, but i dont think she moved others here as much as she did me in my formative years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I felt I was fighting against the tide with Alanis all along, but now she's just lost steam.  Happens.  Have to roll with it. 

jessey, I believe in fair play, but if I didn't, we sure would make a unique alliance.

Laughing

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I thought Grace Slick should have gotten immunity due to the fact that she was the only one on the list who passed the "slept with Jim Morrison" challenge.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The one set of votes that I am not getting is Tina Turner. I started voting for her but saw that no one else had much interest. I think she is the Queen of RnR, but I guess I was wrong.

Yoga - forget about unique - we would be a HOT alliance. Kind of like the Angelina/Brad of BDC

Tongue out

Ok - maybe more like the Keith Richards - Patti Hansen hot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Slim - that is easy. She was really hot back in 1979 and she put a pretty face on punk which was pretty ugly up to that point.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I guess I missed the boat on several fronts.  I've always had a natural immunity to blondes, particularly the bottled variety, so visually she did nothing for me.  And hate to say it but she hasn't aged well. Bit like Mary Travers, who *was* a hottie back in her day,  but had a Jabba the Hut thing going later on.   I may have cried when I saw the new millenium era Travers.

And musically I only heard the Blonde hits, so any punk content was minimal or non-existent in those. I could dig deeper before spouting off, but where's the fun in that. Cough!

My own personal prejudices aside,  her artistic peak was very short lived.  I guess you could say that about many of the nominees, including my personal favorite. From another 'blonde' band no less.  Call me inconsistent, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  (Yes I did study under Yogi Berra, how did you know?).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Mick Jagger in 1969: [watching Tina Turner performing the opening of the concert] It's nice to have a chick occasionally.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I remember seeing her back in the mid-70's at CBGB's. She did have a very dynamic personality on stage. We all understand that Chris Stein was the brains behind everything, but she did her thing well.

As I mentioned, I do not understand why Tina is not getting any love, but what can you do. I know that Chrissie, Aretha and Annie are leading the pack right now.

But I am sticking with Joan until the end. She is RnR and can play with the boys right in front of the Marshall Stacks.

PH - sorry about Alanis. I thought she was going to be nothing more than a one-hit wonder. But she has held on well, bravo. But she still never joined the ranks of the great ones, IMO.

But no matter the vote, as long as Patti is gone, I am happy. I just wish the RnR HoF would rid themselves of her as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Why must you rub salt on my wounds...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

My own personal prejudices aside,  her artistic peak was very short lived.  I guess you could say that about many of the nominees, including my personal favorite. From another 'blonde' band no less.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Slim: The list wasn't defined by the length of their careers, and that was not part of the criteria.  Janis Joplin's career?  Ummm.  How long has she been dead again?  And still considered a legend in her own time?  But that's why it's so much better to call this a "favorites" list, and not a "greatest" list.  BTW, I feel similarly about Debby Harry. 

We've had a few threads here about female rockers, with different slants to them.   The same names crop up on all the lists, because the conversation is, was and always will be, subjective.  Greatest, favorite, hottest.  Same names over and over. 

As for blondes ... most are out of a bottle anyhow, IMHO!  ha ha.  :)

ps jessey, I didn't want to go "there" and chose the word "unique" for that reason.  I try to stay one step ahead, but I'm losing ground.
      Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts