Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need)

Maybe because she is one of the greatest musical artists ever and many music lovers admire her? It could be that simple.

Laughing

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need):
    [QUOTE]Maybe because she is one of the greatest musical artists ever and many music lovers admire her? It could be that simple.  
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Nobody could disagree with that.  But I agree with jkjband's statement that she's not a rock artist.  And as yogafriend says if the poll is covering the whole spectrum of female artists then others like Joni Mitchell should be in there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need) : Nobody could disagree with that.  But I agree with jkjband's statement that she's not a rock artist.  And as yogafriend says if the poll is covering the whole spectrum of female artists then others like Joni Mitchell should be in there.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I guess I don't draw such strict lines between rock/soul, etc. I happen to think Aretha rocks with the best of them. I think some blues performers rocked harder than anything that followed. The Rolling Stones are called the world's greatest rock and roll band and yet their musical roots and foundation are blues/R&B/soul. The lines between musical genres are very fuzzy in my eyes, to the point where they really don't exist for me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

With Aretha - it is more of her influence on female rock and roll singers than anything else. She is probably the most important female pop singer of the last 50 years and that includes Madonna. As for her specific genre, it depends if you want to pigeon-hole her into a certain category; soul, R&B, pop. I dont think you can.

As for me, she has given us one of the three greatest female rock recording of all time; that being "Respect".

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Great discussion.  I have to agree that unless there had been (in the particular case of the game thread) a strict definition for what constitutes a "rocker" -- there is no hard and strict definition to the greater audience.  It's fluid.  It's very subjective. 

We've discussed the relationship of R&B to rock on the forum many times, but we always seem to diverge as to origin / classification, etc.  

The truth is that there are very few females (a generalization, but a true one) compared to male artists that have made it in the rock music industry.  So for that reason alone, the names of female greats / favorites that tend to surface seem to include the same names.   It's also a reason why it's not fair to pigeon hole them as strictly into categories, perhaps. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Actually other than the great Kim Deal my favorite "other "female rocker wasn't on the list (which is fine) and that is Exene Cervenka from X. She is awesome.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

jkj - I think when it comes to Aretha, one needs to look at the total musicality. She is one of those artists that transcends any specific genre.

Actually what amazes me is the admiration being heaped on Chrissie Hynde. Personally, I love her, but she is not groundbreaking. IMO, I would rank her with Lita Ford. She has the stronger catalogue, but is nowhere the musician that Lita is.

I give the Pretenders all due respect, but Chrissie just followed in the footsteps that Suzi and Joan laid out before her. Top 10 for sure.

I think the one thing that I was surprised at with our voting poll is how qucik Tina Turner was removed. She is the one who I put up there with Aretha when it comes to influence in the genre of RnR.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Fully agree with many of the comments on this page.  Yet my votes are really centered around the "favorite" aspect of the artists rather than influence, admiration, ground-breaking etc.  For me, much of what contributes to the sense of "favorite" is how the artist's musical output resonated with me at the time it was most visible, particularly during my early-mid 20's which was a pivotal time in my life.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

when aretha got into the HoF i didn't get it. but i am still voting for her

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

jess, I agree 100% with you on Aretha and Tina. They really brought power and energy to their music that that put them in a different league than a lot of other pop female artist. (Not that I don't love a lot of pop female performers). I was just listening to Aretha's music yesterday because of this discussion, and I still enjoy it as much as ever. Not only is she a great artist, but she is one of my personal favorites.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

HFX - Joni was in the running and was voted out. I had the final vote on that one Tongue out

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]HFX - Joni was in the running and was voted out. I had the final vote on that one
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sloppy work on my part, I misread yogafriend's post.  It was kind of a long post though.Smile

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Laughing
    I think I posted that on the weekend ... but I was venting a little bit b/c ironically, many of the suggestions that were made (and that I took into consideration) were from people who didn't even end up getting into the game thread!  (names such as Joni Mitchell)

Never thought this would be the proverbial can of worms!   But I love the discussion, so carry on. 
    Smile

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Face it, there was no way the starting ballot would make everyone happy ... but now that I've gone back and checked it again I have to say that I LOVE the added "poof" comments.

Cool

And all in all the group has done a great job whittling the list down.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Face it, there was no way the starting ballot would make everyone happy ... but now that I've gone back and checked it again I have to say that I LOVE the added "poof" comments. And all in all the group has done a great job whittling the list down.
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE]Thanks, gerbs. :D  I wasn't sure if the POOF comments were for my own amusement (which is fine -- similar to the idea that I laugh at my own jokes, as I have no shame), but it's great to hear you find them amusing, too. 

I think the group has done an outstanding job, no doubt about it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

the podium basically has 3 names on it as is, this might end up getting a little monotonous maybe? although with the 2 down votes it might make it interesting...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Shout out to Phoebe Snow

RIP

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]the podium basically has 3 names on it as is, this might end up getting a little monotonous maybe? although with the 2 down votes it might make it interesting...
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what we should do yet.  I previously said we might go to negative voting, if we really want an ultimate winner *and* if there's a dead heat that we can't break. 

Do you think the group would be satisfied if we ended up with a tie?  Or do we want a true winner, that makes it all the way to the end, even if we have to use negative voting to get there? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need) : I'm not sure what we should do yet.  I previously said we might go to negative voting, if we really want an ultimate winner *and* if there's a dead heat that we can't break.  Do you think the group would be satisfied if we ended up with a tie?  Or do we want a true winner, that makes it all the way to the end, even if we have to use negative voting to get there? 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I don't think any more changes are needed - based on current voting patterns (exit polling?), Aretha will be the winner within a week at most.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

More on Phoebe Snow.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=13459211

I respect the fact that she chose family over career. She was a good woman with a unique voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5AaNLyFpoI

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need) : I don't think any more changes are needed - based on current voting patterns (exit polling?), Aretha will be the winner within a week at most.
    Posted by gerbs[/QUOTE] Yeah, I know.  But as we eliminate, the tide could turn ... stay tuned.   Exit polling .. good one!  Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Another interesting tidbit related to Phoebe Snow's stage name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebe_Snow_(character)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This vote may take forever to resolve.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Well, I told you all from the very beginning, it's a process, and it can go on for months.  ha ha.   Depends on the group.  

We're down to the final three names.  Started with 25 names.  I'd say that's pretty decent. 

And if you want to start making a list for a new game thread, you could do that any time.  This game thread is down to the wire and I don't think it would be overkill (it seemed like overkill when I'd just started the female rocker thread, as I had mentioned).  It will take you some time to come up with a list, so it's not as though the thread will get going right away. 

Are you still "on" with that? 
    :)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I have an idea on which direction I will go with it but will need your input and assistance.