Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need)

In Response to Re: Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need):
    I can see where getting bossed around by a woman could be fun under the right circumstances.  OTOH you have Maggie Gyllenhaal in Secretary.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

An awesome flick in many ways...definitely indie in nature, but still not to be missed.  Both Spader and Gyllenhall are excellent.  (ignore the hype and take it on its own merits)

Note: Secretary's director Steve Shainberg also directed "Fur" about legendary photographer Diane Arbus.  A flawed film but likewise a very interesting mediation on a very unique relationship as well as on an artist's personal creative development.  I recommend both.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite Female Rocker Comments (if you feel the need) : An awesome flick in many ways...definitely indie in nature, but still not to be missed.  Both Spader and Gyllenhall are excellent.  (ignore the hype and take it on its own merits) Note: Secretary's director Steve Shainberg also directed "Fur" about legendary photographer Diane Arbus.  A flawed film but likewise a very interesting mediation on a very unique relationship as well as on an artist's personal creative development.  I recommend both.
    Posted by MattyScornD
    I never saw Spader in a film I particularly liked, but I loved him (and William Shatner, for that matter) in "Boston Legal" and mourned the series' demise.  I'd gladly check him out in a film like "Secretary" -- sounds like it would suit his talents to a tee.  :D

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hi Rocker Gamers,

I don't know.  I'm not ready to go all negative.  Should we wait a few days and just keep the scheme as is?   Otherwise, we can state the first place winner, and the other rocker places second?

Shall we go all negative voting in a couple of days, and wait until we zero out one of our finalists?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

A recent interloper post in our voting thread has brought on the following rant:

As to the notion that Chrissie Hynde is a rocker while Aretha Franklin is not, that is pure nonsense. How many songs did The Pretenders record that can be strictly categorized as rock songs? How many were ballads and how many were mid-tempo pop songs? Is "Brass in Pocket" a rock song? How about "Kid" or "Show Me" or even "My City Was Gone"? Do these songs rock more than Aretha's "Respect" or "Think"? I think we get way too hung up on how a band or performer is categorized or what name music is given. If Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix are rockers doesn't that cover a broad spectrum? I would like to think music fans are more open-minded about such things than trying to strictly categorize rock/pop music. If Aretha is not a rocker, then I don't know what it means to rock.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

A recent interloper post in our voting thread has brought on the following rant: As to the notion that Chrissie Hynde is a rocker while Aretha Franklin is not, that is pure nonsense. How many songs did The Pretenders record that can be strictly categorized as rock songs? How many were ballads and how many were mid-tempo pop songs? Is "Brass in Pocket" a rock song? How about "Kid" or "Show Me" or even "My City Was Gone"? Do these songs rock more than Aretha's "Respect" or "Think"? I think we get way too hung up on how a band or performer is categorized or what name music is given. If Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix are rockers doesn't that cover a broad spectrum? I would like to think music fans are more open-minded about such things than trying to strictly categorize rock/pop music. If Aretha is not a rocker, then I don't know what it means to rock.
    Posted by devildavid

100% agree ... even though I have not voted for Aretha, she absolutely belongs in the discussion and I certainly believe that she was an indispensable influence on a number of the other artists on the list.  Moreover, we shouldn't be trying to put any of these great artists in a genre "box".

Regarding the ongoing voting, I'll follow yogi's suggestion above to continue with the up and down votes until she declares otherwise.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    (that's see above)  Agreed and thank you.  I can't improve on perfection. 

Five weeks into our thread, we're still discussing the definition of a "rocker" and I am still not tired of the discussion.   :)

I recently saw some comments about what constitutes a "rocker" on another board, and I will post them.  You will get a real kick out of them. 

While the topic is always going to be subjective, the best thing that can come out of it is hearing other points of view.  If you open your heart and mind, and get away from having the need for a "bin" for musical talents and tastes, well, that's liberating and refreshing.  Heck, I made the final list for the thread and some of my *favorite* musicians aren't even on it because of the perceived notion of what a "rocker" is -- and you know what?  If I had it to do again, I'd put more names on the list, and that's partly due to the discussions we've had.  I'm no longer concerned about the perceived "definition", and I can attribute that directly to the discussions.  Seriously, so thank you. 

And thanks, gerbs.  Let's go with UP / DOWN for just a bit longer. 

The tide might turn.  I'd like to give all the gamers an opportunity to change their thinking, just in case ... then, we'll see.   :D

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

For the sake of expediency, as I saw how the vote was going, I have decided to refrain from continuing at this point.

I certainly understand the respect that Chrissie has received here. She certainly has given fans plenty of music to enjoy these past 3 decades.

But Aretha will always be the Queen of Soul/Pop and those are specific genre's in RnR. Aretha is as much a rocker as Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Sara McLaughlin, etc. Why should soul music be looked at differently that folk or ballads or anything else?

Rock is not an isolated musical genre. It consists of so much more which is why it has never died as an artform to the chagrin of so many.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

For the sake of expediency, as I saw how the vote was going, I have decided to refrain from continuing at this point. I certainly understand the respect that Chrissie has received here. She certainly has given fans plenty of music to enjoy these past 3 decades. But Aretha will always be the Queen of Soul/Pop and those are specific genre's in RnR. Aretha is as much a rocker as Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Sara McLaughlin, etc. Why should soul music be looked at differently that folk or ballads or anything else? Rock is not an isolated musical genre. It consists of so much more which is why it has never died as an artform to the chagrin of so many.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I will keep voting to the end, but it's apparent who will win. I enjoy the music of both our finalists and understand it was a vote for our favorite. I'm fine with that. I got a little excited at one point thinking that it would be a close race to the finish but Aretha lost support when it came down to a two women race. It was all in good fun and I enjoyed it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

For the sake of expediency?  You're going to leave the playground?  Sure, we could just declare a winner now, and if that's what people want to do we can do that.    We don't need to go all the way down to "0" for either one.

I've seen these threads played, and if we are at a stalemate, then we do need to make a decision.  But I'd like to wait a couple more days to see if anyone changes their mind.  

We all agree about Aretha, in case you haven't noticed.  I'm happy she made it to the end.  If you're leaving now that we are down to the wire,  well, I just don't know what to say.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited: I'm in 'til the end, too.  It's all in good fun.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It is not that I am leaving the vote, all I am doing is moving it forward a couple of days at this point by not voting. Everyone knows my opinion on this subject.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Bottom line with this type of game thread:  I can't say I've done a lot of benchmarking on it, but from what I've seen, people play until the bitter end, even if it takes months (yes, sounds crazy).

Slim, if you really want to change your vote today, I will change it when I vote, since I haven't voted yet.

You want to me to take one off of Aretha and give Chrissie your vote?  Not a problem. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Hi Rocker Gamers,

Looks like we're going strong right to the end. :)

I wanted to thank you all for being so steadfast.  Even though CH and AF were consistently at the head of the pack, the competition was pretty tight until Lennox fell off the list.

Since we might finish the thread over the weekend, and it's hit or miss as to who will drop by, I want to say that I thought we did an excellent job and it was a lot of fun.  I especially enjoyed seeing you all here every day, as that was part of the fun for me.

Special thanks to gerbs for noticing a few hitches and helping me out.  :)

So fun.  Thanks everyone. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Applause to Yogi - great game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

will someone be presenting Ms Hynde with her trophy or award?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Yes, I have a custom-fit denim jacket with a "BDC Music Forum" logo on it for her.

Also, a digitized group photo of all of us (our avatar pics will be used) that she can use for wallpaper on her PC or make into a screensaver.   She can also print it out and frame it (a lucite frame will be provided). 

Also, he doesn't know it yet, but as a consolation prize to jkj, for his years as a DJ and the beating WOW and PS took in the contest, Chrissie will be singing at his July 4th shindig this summer.

jkj, however, will have to pay for the cops and all the booze. 
    :D

Sections
Shortcuts