2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: favorite local band?

1a) Pixies

1b) Morphine

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In Response to Re: favorite local band?:
    [QUOTE]Luna/Berlin Airlift.  No doubt at all. Of course, I still play with the drummer, but those guys (and a girl) SMOKED
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Uhm, really? You still play with the drummer?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.........Undecided

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

The Stompers

John Butcher Axis

The Fools

Til Tuesday

Human Sexual Response

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

The Pixies ( I guess if they count as a Bosotn band)
    Scruffy The Cat
    The Dogmatics
    The Pajama Slave Dancers
    Morphine

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]The Pixies ( I guess if they count as a Bosotn band)  Morphine
    Posted by leafswin27[/QUOTE]

I question it too, at times, as well as with some others, but then we're defining 'local' as a term.  Boston is such a melting pot for talent that true origins can get blurry.

Add:

Buffalo Tom
    Mission Of Burma

FWIW, I glanced at Wiki, and under musical groups from Boston, Pixies are listed...but Morphine is listed as from Cambridge.

Question to the forum:  Which bands - other than strictly local acts - do you find are more popular - or more identified - in one city than in another??  Does every city/metro area have its own special slate of groups they hold dear...??

The Replacements in Minneapolis, for example...or ZZ Top in Texas, maybe...?

One could build a major league of popular music and match cities and states against each other...a nationwide battle of the bands, if you will.

(still spewing...)

And why don't we have a nationally realized battle of the bands?  They used to be all over the place in lots of clubs.  If we can have weak 'competitions' of singers, dancers, and assorted other amateurs (chefs, designers) on TV, than why not rock bands...? 

(Sorry...rant over...)  :P

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Minneapolis has The Replacements and Husker Du.

I forgot about Mission of Burma.. love them as well

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: favorite local band? : I question it too, at times, as well as with some others, but then we're defining 'local' as a term.  Boston is such a melting pot for talent that true origins can get blurry. Add: Buffalo Tom Mission Of Burma FWIW, I glanced at Wiki, and under musical groups from Boston, Pixies are listed...but Morphine is listed as from Cambridge. Question to the forum:  Which bands - other than strictly local acts - do you find are more popular - or more identified - in one city than in another??  Does every city/metro area have its own special slate of groups they hold dear...?? The Replacements in Minneapolis, for example...or ZZ Top in Texas, maybe...? One could build a major league of popular music and match cities and states against each other...a nationwide battle of the bands, if you will. (still spewing...) And why don't we have a nationally realized battle of the bands?  They used to be all over the place in lots of clubs.  If we can have weak 'competitions' of singers, dancers, and assorted other amateurs (chefs, designers) on TV, than why not rock bands...?  (Sorry...rant over...)  :P
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I often wonder if where a group is from helps their popularity in that region. For example , here in New England , I do not recall that The Cars were more poular than The Police, Van Halen or Dire Straits.

Many L.A. bands have enjoyed a good deal of popularity here in Southern New England ...The Motels, The Doors, X, I think Billy Idol is from that region. I don't know that J.Geils, the Cars, Boston or the Pixies are any more popular here than in California, either....could be, I've never been west of Chicago and I was only there in 1993 ,changing planes for about a half hour.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Good points.

While he's a major national artist, I still sense the 'homeboy' reference for Bruce Springsteen, when he's in New Jersey.  I think there are artists, no matter how large they may loom on the national stage, who will always have fans that claim him as their own.  

I don't feel that way about Aerosmith, though.  Not even close.  :P

Another band that I now associate with Minneapolis is the Jayhawks.  Have no idea if they get more of a 'homeboy' welcome there, but I suspect they do.  I love that they recorded on Rounder.  

I feel very partial to the Rounder label as a local record label, certainly international in stature.  They've done a phenomenal job; I absolutely love that they're a (metro) Boston-based label.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

fbomb (shameless plug - my bestie's brother's band)
    Pretty good cover band....play mostly the north shore area.

15. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts