Favorite record labels

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Favorite record labels

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Mine would probably be the Motown label.It wasn't called "Hitsville USA" for nothing.There was a lot of great music being made there by such artists as Smokey Robinson,Supremes,Marvin Gaye,Temptations,The Four Tops,Stevie Wonder and many others.

Here's a great history of Motown:

http://classic.motown.com/history/

One of my favorite Lynyrd Skynyrd songs has a name of a record label in the title.Care to guess the song? 

Working for MCA of course

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

One of my favorite labels was one I haven't seen mentioned. Not too surprising given the general lack of country cats here. But I think King records had one of the greatest runs in music, certainly in country music. King recording artists included Homer and Jethro, The Stanley Brothers, Don Reno and Red Smiley, Jimmy Martin, Merle Travis and David Allan Coe on the country side. On the pop/R&B side they also recorded James Brown and The Famous Flames, Petula Clark, Jack DuPree, Joe Tex, Johnny 'Guitar' Watson and The Ink Spots.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

One of my favorite labels was one I haven't seen mentioned. Not too surprising given the general lack of country cats here. But I think King records had one of the greatest runs in music, certainly in country music. King recording artists included Homer and Jethro, The Stanley Brothers, Don Reno and Red Smiley, Jimmy Martin, Merle Travis and David Allan Coe on the country side. On the pop/R&B side they also recorded James Brown and The Famous Flames, Petula Clark, Jack DuPree, Joe Tex, Johnny 'Guitar' Watson and The Ink Spots.

Hey Carnie, good to see you back in the music forum! After you, I'm the closest thing to a country cat in this forum. That's a good choice, particularly for James Brown.

As for country, I'm a big fan of George Jones, particularly his recordings on the Musicor label. My wife gave me a couple of box sets of his Musicor work, which I consider the best recordings of his career. And of course you remember that I love Hank Williams, Sr. too. I just don't have as broad an exposure to country music as you do, but I am definitelly a fan of country music, and realize its great importance in the development of rock and roll. Chuck Berrry definitely had a country element to his sound.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

In response to carnie's comment:

Hey Carnie, good to see you back in the music forum! After you, I'm the closest thing to a country cat in this forum. That's a good choice, particularly for James Brown.

As for country, I'm a big fan of George Jones, particularly his recordings on the Musicor label. My wife gave me a couple of box sets of his Musicor work, which I consider the best recordings of his career. And of course you remember that I love Hank Williams, Sr. too. I just don't have as broad an exposure to country music as you do, but I am definitelly a fan of country music, and realize its great importance in the development of rock and roll. Chuck Berrry definitely had a country element to his sound.

And look at how many of the Sun guys went on to have pretty huge country careers. Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, even Elvis went country later in his career. One of my favorite country singers is a guy yoo should check out if you haven't already. Jimmie Rodgers, the singing brakeman. Some say that he actually started country and western music. Here's a few links to some of his stuff.

Hobo's Meditation

Mississippi Delta Blues

Waiting For a Train

Peach Pickin' Time In Georgia

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Goner Records is my favourite at the moment.....NOBUNNY, Jay Reatard, Harlan T Bobo, Jack Oblivian......also love Estrus Records.

Crypt was the label of the 90s for me but aren't releasing much these days.