Favorite songs by the Decade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Favorite songs by the Decade

I understand how difficult it is for many people to name their favorite song of all time.I thought I would start a thread where we can list a favorite song from each decade between the 1950's until the present.Even though it's still hard to decide,at least there's a little leeway to mention more songs.This would be my list (subject to change):
     1950's - JOHNNY B. GOODE -Chuck Berry (1958).IMO,the foundation of all songs Rock and Roll
     1960's - SKY PILOT - The Animals (1968). A song,to me,that summed up the sentiment of many during the Viet Nam war.
     1970's - L.A. WOMAN - The Doors (1971). No big story with this song,I just really dig it.Hence my screen name
    1980's - THRILLER - Michael Jackson (1982).I think this was influenced by the groundbreaking video
    1990's - SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT - Nirvana (1991).The song that got me started listening to Grunge music.
    2000's - CONTROL - Puddle of Mudd (2001).Good hard driving rhythms makes this my song of the new millennium.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: Favorite songs by the Decade

I only started listenng to music maybe in '78 to '79, but to me the music of the '60s and the '70s is the best.

1950's ---- Great Balls Of Fire (Jerry Lee Lewis)
    1960's ---- Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones)
    1970's ---- When The Levee Breaks (Led Zeppelin)
    1980's ---- Billie Jean (Michael Jackson)
    1990's ---- Nothing Else Matters (Metallica)
    2000's ---- City Of Blinding Lights (U2)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Great topic, mojo...

50s: "Rock N' Roll Music" - Chuck Berry
    60s: "Dear Prudence" - Beatles
    70s: "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed - Allmans

80s: "When Doves Cry" - Prince
    90s: "Paranoid Android" - Radiohead
    00s: "Off The Record" - My Morning Jacket

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

1950s: "Hound Dog" -- Elvis
    1960s: "Sound of Silence" -- Simon and Garfunkel (Couldn't decide between something from Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Who or Cream so I went another way.)
    1970s: Layla -- Derek and the Dominoes (Clapton)
    1980s: "Tunnel of Love" or "Brothers in Arms" -- Dire Straits
    1990s: "High Hopes" -- Pink Floyd EDIT: "The Show Must Go On" -- Queen. (Just remembered that it came out in 1991. 
    2000s: "Have a Nice Day" -- Bon Jovi

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from y2koop. Show y2koop's posts

1950's: "Don't be Cruel" - Elvis
    1960's: "Turn, Turn, Turn" - The Byrds
    1970's: "Band on the Run" - Wings
    1980's: "Romeo & Juliet" - Dire Straits
    1990's: "King's Highway" - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
    2000's: "All these Things that I've Done" - Killers

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Good topic! Here I go off the cuff, with no research.
    (Subject to change in about 10 seconds)

50s: "Well Alright," Buddy Holly.
    60s: "Let It Be," Beatles.
    70s: "Jungleland," Springsteen.
    80s: "Cult of Personality," Living Colour
    90s: "Eden," 10,000 Maniacs.
    2000s: "Walk On," U2

Note to y2koop: Excellent call on "Romeo and Juliet." If you want to hear an interesting cover of that, check out the Indigo Girls' version.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Jungleland-great pick, Lloyd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Good call on Living Colour, too.  Last week, I heard Vernon Reid talking about the 40th anniversary of Jimi's death.  Seriously underrated guitarist.

Also saw them open for the Stones in '89...outstanding show....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite songs by the Decade:
    Good call on Living Colour, too.  Last week, I heard Vernon Reid talking about the 40th anniversary of Jimi's death.  Seriously underrated guitarist. Also saw them open for the Stones in '89...outstanding show....
    Posted by Mattyhorn

You think Jimi was underrated?Laughing

I saw the Stones & LC in '89 as well, in Toronto.  Unfortunately our seats were so far from the stage they looked like stick figures.  Also saw Tom Petty the same weekend.  Sweet!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Good choices by all ... here are mine (for now):

50s: "I Only Have Eyes for You," Flamingos
    60s: "A Day in the Life," Beatles
    70s: "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding," Elton John
    80s: "Pride," U2
    90s: "Grace," Jeff Buckley
    00s: (tie) "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," Green Day; "Photograph," Jamie Cullum

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Good call on Living Colour, too.  Last week, I heard Vernon Reid talking about the 40th anniversary of Jimi's death.  Seriously underrated guitarist. Also saw them open for the Stones in '89...outstanding show....
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Saw them at a little dump in Norfolk called The Boathouse. My hearing was muffled for at least a week afterwards. Worth it, though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: Favorite songs by the Decade : You think Jimi was underrated? I saw the Stones & LC in '89 as well, in Toronto.  Unfortunately our seats were so far from the stage they looked like stick figures.  Also saw Tom Petty the same weekend.  Sweet!  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

You know what I meant...lol.

I'll never forget those giant blow-up dolls on the sides of the stage during 'honkytonk woman'.  SO glad I skipped school that day.  Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This list is subject to revision, but...

50's Great Balls of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis
    60's A Day in the Life - Beatles
    70's Highway Star - Deep Purple
    80's New Year's Day - U2
    90's Someone Who's Cool - Odds
    00's Like A Stone - Audioslave

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Hmmm...my own worthless thoughts:

50's - Mack the Knife - Louis Armstrong
    60's - Subterranian Homesick Blues - Bob Dylan
    70's - I wanna Be Sedated  -Ramones
    80's - Yeah, I'm going with anything U2 here
    90's - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day
    Oughts - State of Massachusetts - Dropkick Murphys

Though not sure if those are the Best O'.....since there are so many I like....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

50's Maybelline
    60's Twistin' the night away
    70's Takin' care of business
    80's Communique
    And that's as far as my musical knowledge extends Embarassed

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I see you all did well without me:

50's - Peggy Sue (Holly), Good Golly Miss Molly (Lil Ritchie)
    60's - The Seeker (Who), I'm Only Sleeping (The Beatles), Ruby Tuesday (Stones), John B. Sloop (Beach Boys), Dear Prudence (Beatles), Summer in the City (Lovin' Spoonful), Hey Joe (Hendrix), Alabama Song (Doors) 
    70's - Seasons of Whither & Uncle Salty(Aerosmith), Ramble On & Gallows Pole (Led Zep), Moonage Daydream & Oh You Pretty Things (Bowie), Jet Boy (NY Dolls), Child in Time & Burn (Deep Purple), Violence (Mott), Killer Queen & Now I'm Here (Queen), Iron Man (Sabbath), Rockaway Beach (Ramones), People Who Died (Jim Carroll), Little Willy & Ballroom Blitz (Sweet)
    80's - Clampdown (Clash), Photograph & Gods of War (Def Leppard), Killed by Death (Motorhead), I Will Follow (U2), Wild Side (Motley Crue), Tear Down the Wall (Kix), Number on the Bathroom Wall (Faster Pussycat), New Thing (Enuff z'nuff), Never Enough & Over the Edge (LA Guns), Mr. Brownstone & My Michelle(Guns and Roses), Valley of the Kings (Blue Murder)
    90's - Estranged & The Garden (Guns and Roses), Man in the Box & Rooster (Alice in Chains), Paper Sun (Def Leppard), Even Flow (Pearl Jam), Don't Tread on Me (Metallica), A Tout Le Monde (Megadeth), Still Remains & Interstate Love Song (STP), Blackhole Sun (Soundgarden)
    This Century - There are a few songs that I really like but cannot name them off the top of my head. A couple of Foo Fighter tracks and Arcade Fire (I think that is their name)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I see you all did well without me: 50's - Peggy Sue (Holly), Good Golly Miss Molly (Lil Ritchie) 60's - The Seeker (Who), I'm Only Sleeping (The Beatles), Ruby Tuesday (Stones), John B. Sloop (Beach Boys), Dear Prudence (Beatles), Summer in the City (Lovin' Spoonful), Hey Joe (Hendrix), Alabama Song (Doors)  70's - Seasons of Whither & Uncle Salty(Aerosmith), Ramble On & Gallows Pole (Led Zep), Moonage Daydream & Oh You Pretty Things (Bowie), Jet Boy (NY Dolls), Child in Time & Burn (Deep Purple), Violence (Mott), Killer Queen & Now I'm Here (Queen), Iron Man (Sabbath), Rockaway Beach (Ramones), People Who Died (Jim Carroll), Little Willy & Ballroom Blitz (Sweet) 80's - Clampdown (Clash), Photograph & Gods of War (Def Leppard), Killed by Death (Motorhead), I Will Follow (U2), Wild Side (Motley Crue), Tear Down the Wall (Kix), Number on the Bathroom Wall (Faster Pussycat), New Thing (Enuff z'nuff), Never Enough & Over the Edge (LA Guns), Mr. Brownstone & My Michelle(Guns and Roses), Valley of the Kings (Blue Murder) 90's - Estranged & The Garden (Guns and Roses), Man in the Box & Rooster (Alice in Chains), Paper Sun (Def Leppard), Even Flow (Pearl Jam), Don't Tread on Me (Metallica), A Tout Le Monde (Megadeth), Still Remains & Interstate Love Song (STP), Blackhole Sun (Soundgarden) This Century - There are a few songs that I really like but cannot name them off the top of my head. A couple of Foo Fighter tracks and Arcade Fire (I think that is their name)
    Posted by jesseyeric

Interesting list. I haven't heard a lot of what's on your list. I'll have to check out some of it.

By the way, welcome back. Now that you and Z are back, I've some artists of the day that I'll start threads on first chance I get.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

50's-Beyond the Sea-Bobby Darin 60's-She'd Rather be with me-Turtles 70's-In Memory of Elizabeth Reed tied with Layla. 80's-Cruel to be kind-Nick Lowe(I know it was released in 79 and charted then but they played it a lot in 80 and there is no real 80's song I can call a favorite??? Ok I got one- Fall on me-REM. 90's-This is tough also....Silent Lucidity-Queens Ryche 00's-Boulevard of broken dreams-Greenday.    Hon mention 50's-Blue Suede Shoes-Carl Perkins 60's-Hey Jude 70's-No Time- The Guess Who 80's-You're so Bad- Tom Petty 90's- Would-Alice in Chains 00's-Minority-Greenday

Sections
Shortcuts