Festival of the Week: Identity Festival (Comcast Center, 7/26)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Festival of the Week: Identity Festival (Comcast Center, 7/26)

This electronic music festival is the festival of the *week* as it's tomorrow, in Mansfield's Comcast Center.  So if you want to get a huge dose of electronic music, you still have time to make it.  Unless it's more than a 2-hour drive ... :)

This is a youth-centric festival, only in its second year; it doesn't have the resonance and stature that many music festivals have; yet, it's making the rounds to many major cities across the USA, and is paving a unique path due to its unique musical content and origin.   

The ID Festival is for fans of electronic music, or electronic dance music (EDM); some of you would say it's the new millennium's disco music, the influence is there, no question: it's dance music.  Much of it I'd just call "pop techno", but because of the way it's produced, there are now sub-sub-sub genres of electronic music (see List: Bad thread as I know I am on thin ice trying to frame this music with a genre which is a waste of time) ; frankly, I think the categorization gets too steep for a normal conversation (it's astonishing how many ways synthie and computerized music is described within the genre -- for the people who produce it and for the geeks who discuss it on that level).  

Since there are radio stations that play EDM exclusively, there are DJs who only spin EDM, and are artists in their own right (some will appear at the ID Festival).  
    EDM's international popularity is shaping the musical taste of younger fans.  Many of the artists are European, and very young (25 and under, in some cases, or still in their teens; Arty is an example); they've been raised in the era of social media and moreorless live in their own universe, if  you know what I mean.  This festival is seen as a mega-opportunity for live performance for some of these artists, as their normal vehicle for visibility is the computer.

Starts at 2:00 p.m. tomorrow, in case you want to skip out of work early.  :)  

The website offers a music player, if you want to listen to a bit of a sampler:

and promo:

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Festival of the Week: Identity Festival (Comcast Center, 7/26)

Very bad news about this music festival.   Due to rampant and pervasive drugs that were being used, including PCP, LSD, and ectasy, marijuana, and alcohol, there were 45 arrests for drug posession and abuse and two deaths.  Both deaths were due to drug overdosing and alcohol.   

Apparently, according to authorities, the number of people who were arrested and/or taken ill was not inordinate for a show of this size, as the Comcast Center holds about 20,000 people.   

Sadly, the mother of one of the young men who died has stated that her son was about to enter rehab for drug addiction -- he just didn't have the "tools" to say no in time.   

Sad that this happened in Mansfield; there have been no comments as to how the drugs and alcohol were brought into the concert.   The deaths were the first to result from drugs and alcohol abuse at the Comcast Center.

Sorry for this disturbing update.  This was a very youth-centric concert, and was a rave.  Tough mix.  The story is on the front page of BDC / The Globe:

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Greg,
    What you said is part of the point, and not cynical at all.  It's "the more things change, the more they stay the same" -- the authorities said the drugs were just like the same deal as the 70's.   Hallucinogens haven't gone anywhere.  

Still, two deaths resulted this time.    Will that send a message?  For a few days ... but after that.  Life goes on and so does that same belief that "it can never happen to me", you know?   Nothing changes, events like this just put a spotlight on the problem.    Yeah, hello, Houston, we have a problem, with no solution in sight.  

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Festival of the Week: Identity Festival (Comcast Center, 7/26):
    In Response to Re: Festival of the Week: Identity Festival (Comcast Center, 7/26) : I hear ya mi amica! I'm a product of the 70's.  Going to a concert, and tripping, was basically a given. I think the difference was we did drugs to enhance the show. With Raves, the show is to enhance the drugs. Subtle dif? Apparently not. (I saw The Wall in 81, tripping.  I saw it in 2010 straight.  Straight was better.) "I was so much older then, I am younger than that now" I might start a thread on that.
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Subtle diff?  A rathole that we could go down, sure.  But we won't.  :)

One way or another, it's going to catch up with you.   Apply either formula to any excessive behavior and you're goin' down at some point.   

Read an interview with Joe Walsh yesterday; he went down with his former drug and alcohol addictions (sober now 18, count them, 18 years and seemed proud of that) and yeesh, very poignant to read of his recovery (his word) and description of finding out he could deliver the RnR goods w/out being wasted. 

As for your thread that got erased because of BDC's wipeout, re-run it.  Great thread.  Did you see any of the responses before it was erased?   They were pretty good (humility aside ...).  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Festival of the Week: Identity Festival (Comcast Center, 7/26):
    Two drug/alcohol related deaths in 26 years of the Comcast Center/Tweeter Center/Great Woods?  Plenty of 19 & 27 (age of the two who died) year olds attending concerts there over those 26 years.  An article on Boston.com just quoted someone as saying these was the first drug/alcohol related deaths there.  Two such deaths in 26 years?  Not so sure we need to start ringing the alarm bells just yet.  Houston....we'll get back to you.  Everyone's so quick to push the panic button in the Boston area.....must be too much sensationalistic TV news.  The next thing we'll hear is calls to close the place down. -------------------------------------------- Curt Schilling Deadbeat Fraud Fool  
    Posted by bellhorn_

I hear you, but I don't think this news item was sensationalized in any way.  If you read my previous post, I stated that the authorities said that the number of arrests (45) was "average" for an event this size.   Frankly, the parents of one of the kids who died (the 19-year old) displayed a great deal of honesty and candor by stating that their son had a devastating drug problem, which if anything, mitigated the idea that the concert / Comcast Center was responsible for their son's death.  Almost like they were saying it was an accident waiting to happen.  

There are teen deaths related to drugs, alcohol, drunk and speed driving, and youth gang violence every day of the week.   That's not sensational news, that's just the way it is.   Know anyone who teaches or works in an inner-city high school?  One of my siblings did, for many years; there was on average, 1 - 2 funerals a month.  No shortage.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Some people just don't know how to party.

Sections
Shortcuts