Festival of the Week: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (April 27 - May 6, 2012)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Festival of the Week: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (April 27 - May 6, 2012)

I don't expect many of you to dash out to make plans to attend this festival, but you might find the assortment of bands that will be in attendance interesting.  Note, it's called a jazz and heritage festival, not just jazz, so the door is wide open to the array of artists that fit the bill.  

I'm not very cool with the way the website is set up, BTW.  Viewing the artists in the schedule is awkward (by date ... you can't just see a whole list).  Otherwise, for an overview, the artists fly by, one by one, on the home page, if you want to watch the slide show.  :)    

Some of the headliners are surprises. 

I find the history of the festival, which got its start in 1970, extremely interesting, too.  Check out this snippet from the history page:

"In addition to Mahalia Jackson and Duke Ellington, the first Festival lineup included Pete Fountain, Al Hirt, Clifton Chenier, Fats Domino, The Meters, The Preservation Hall Band, parades every day with The Olympia Brass Band and Mardi Gras Indians, and many others.

In announcing the first Festival, scheduled for April 22 – 26, Wein said, “The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival represents a new and exciting idea in festival presentation. This festival could only be held in New Orleans because here and here alone is the richest musical heritage in America.” He also noted, with great prescience, “New Orleans, in the long run, should become bigger than Newport in jazz festivals. Newport was manufactured, but New Orleans is the real thing.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Festival of the Week: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (April 27 - May 6, 2012)

Impressive lineup...it's like the 'daddy-o' of all festivals...

...and 7 solid days of great music all around.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Festival of the Week: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (April 27 - May 6, 2012)

In Response to Festival of the Week: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (April 27 - May 6, 2012):
    [QUOTE]I don't expect many of you to dash out to make plans to attend this festival, but you might find the assortment of bands that will be in attendance interesting.  Note, it's called a jazz and heritage festival, not just jazz, so the door is wide open to the array of artists that fit the bill.   I'm not very cool with the way the website is set up, BTW.  Viewing the artists in the schedule is awkward (by date ... you can't just see a whole list).  Otherwise, for an overview, the artists fly by, one by one, on the home page, if you want to watch the slide show.  :)     Some of the headliners are surprises.  http://www.nojazzfest.com/ I find the history of the festival, which got its start in 1970, extremely interesting, too.  Check out this snippet from the history page: " In addition to Mahalia Jackson and Duke Ellington, the first Festival lineup included Pete Fountain, Al Hirt, Clifton Chenier, Fats Domino, The Meters, The Preservation Hall Band, parades every day with The Olympia Brass Band and Mardi Gras Indians, and many others. In announcing the first Festival, scheduled for April 22 – 26, Wein said, “The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival represents a new and exciting idea in festival presentation. This festival could only be held in New Orleans because here and here alone is the richest musical heritage in America.” He also noted, with great prescience, “New Orleans, in the long run, should become bigger than Newport in jazz festivals. Newport was manufactured, but New Orleans is the real thing.”
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Wow, that would have been a dream concert for me. I love Ellington, Chenier, Fats, and the Meters. Somebody get me Mr. Peabody's wayback machine!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Festival of the Week: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (April 27 - May 6, 2012):
    [QUOTE]Impressive lineup...it's like the 'daddy-o' of all festivals... ...and 7 solid days of great music all around.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

This is the true BIG DADDY of them all.   

Interesting fact: The same man was responsible for producing BOTH the Newport and New Orleans jazz festivals.

George Wein is the man who essentially set up the blueprint.  The history and ongoing growth and success of this festival is jaw-dropping.  

"In 1970, George Wein, jazz impresario behind the Newport Jazz Festival and the Newport Folk Festival (begun respectively in 1954 and 1959) was hired to design and produce a unique festival for New Orleans. The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation, a nonprofit organization, was established to oversee the Festival.

Wein’s concept of the Louisiana Heritage Fair—a large daytime fair with multiple stages featuring a wide variety of indigenous music styles, food booths of Louisiana cuisine, and arts and crafts booths, along with an evening concert series—formed a construct that would prove vastly appealing and enduring."