Festivals, Part 3: The Nines - Devens, MA (in an uncanny turn of weirdness ... )

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Festivals, Part 3: The Nines - Devens, MA (in an uncanny turn of weirdness ... )

After I posted in Lloyd's thread, immediately following the update of the BDC page, rather than my post appearing, there was an ad for a FESTIVAL -- with a pic / logo.   It was clickable, so I clicked on it, and was thrilled to see what it had to say.

The headliner in the lineup features one of my favorite bands of the last few years, that I never thought would appear anywhere in a local MA festival.   I am completely taken off guard seeing their name in the lineup.  

THE NINES : Music, Art Discovery

Saturday - August 10, 2013  - Devens, MA   (up rte. 2)

Explosions in the Sky** (all instrumental -- or as they are now called "wordless") 
    Delta Spirit
    Walk off the Earth
    Shuggie Otis 
    Kid Koala
    (more additions, coming soon ...)

**EITS  - fantastic ambient (and more) music  -- (NOTE to Lloyd: if you recall the music from FN Lights, this was the band that did all of the backdrop music and the theme music -- I've loved them ever since).  

Too funny that a BDC quirk (if not an annoyance), led me to this festival site and information.   

Here's the link:

http://theninesfestival.com/lineup/

The Nines is a multi-stage, multi-arts summer festival presenting a diverse lineup of both nationally recognized and emerging musicians and comedians. The all ages festival will also feature art installations, exhibits and interactive art projects, tasty foods and beverages and more! Devens, MA is conveniently located just 35 miles West of Boston accessed directly off Route 2.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Festivals, Part 3: The Nines - Devens, MA (in an uncanny turn of weirdness ... )

In response to BurtonMercer's comment:

"up" Route 2.  lmao

Shuggie Otis makes the bill.

On the 'up' remark --- man, don't tempt me.  Laughing

I wrote that on purpose, just to see if anyone woud comment on it.    :P

RE: Shuggie Otis:  I almost made a thread on him a couple of months ago when I saw he was making a comeback (of sorts) with a remaster of an old album, renewed popuarity and a warm welcome.    I wasn't familiar with him, but I heard some tracks from the remastered album and he's one funky, totally cool dude.    UP Route 2, no less.   heh.  :)

Shuggie wrote this song  -- anyone recognize it?  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydRDzKu-_OE

Shuggie: "Special"  (this is the song I heard when I learned about the remaster) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g798kBbKp1U

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Festivals, Part 3: The Nines - Devens, MA (in an uncanny turn of weirdness ... )

Always love me some Dr. Dog...

...and the price is nice, too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Explosions in the Sky are amazing.. such peaceful soothing music

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

This is the festival that has truly captured my interest.    Aside from the fact that a band I treasure and never thought I'd see in a local festival is headlining, the lineup is diverse and unpredictable.    Unlike some of the "template" oriented lineups we've discussed in other venues, I might add.   

In fact, it's a far and away the coolest little gem of a festival anyone could have dreamed up.  

Not for nothin', too, there's going to be a comedy tent hosted by the Comedy Studio of Cambridge, that will feature emerging and established comedians.    

Have a feeling this will be *very* well attended, in this, the inaugural year of The Nines.  

(978) never had it so good.  :)

"I am no fan of perfection."  Ada Louise Huxtable  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Since the day I posted last week,  Dr. Dog was added to the lineup (along with Matt Pond). The lineup looks fine as it is, but who knows?    They may continue to add names. 

The price is too good to be true.    It seems to be an early bird price, but even if it goes up a bit, it won't be "pricey"  by any means.   

BTW, GNP (Great Northeast Productions), the outfit running this shindig,  has an interesting resume.    They've produced a bunch of Phish's festivals  (between 1996 - 2004) including this legendary event:

"In 1999 GNP produced what is generally acknowledged as the largest paid event in the world in celebration of the millennium, as over eighty thousand Phish fans converged at the Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation in the heart of the Florida Everglades for a four day music and arts festival."

Sounds like they know what they're doing.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Since the day I posted last week,  Dr. Dog was added to the lineup (along with Matt Pond). The lineup looks fine as it is, but who knows?    They may continue to add names. 

The price is too good to be true.    It seems to be an early bird price, but even if it goes up a bit, it won't be "pricey"  by any means.   

BTW, GNP (Great Northeast Productions), the outfit running this shindig,  has an interesting resume.    They've produced a bunch of Phish's festivals  (between 1996 - 2004) including this legendary event:

"In 1999 GNP produced what is generally acknowledged as the largest paid event in the world in celebration of the millennium, as over eighty thousand Phish fans converged at the Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation in the heart of the Florida Everglades for a four day music and arts festival."

Yes, Dr. Dog would be the big draw for me.  I'm only familiar with EitS but would be interested to see them live.  Delta Spirit played a good show down in Atlanta last month.

Fair pricing for the caliber of artists.  Even the VIP tix are cheap (for a festival).  

The music looks fine, but there isn't much detail on the "arts" aspect to the festival.  I'd like to hear more about that.

I saw the GNP logo, too...which I indeed recalled from a couple of Phish outings. (I painted a mural at Clifford Ball.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Got excited for a minute there...thought you were referencing Evan Shore's 90s band The Nines. 

I think Evan Shore is one of Boston's most underrated artists (though he is originally from Lon Giland).  Queers, Voodoo Dolls, Nines and Muck and the Mires.  Like a lot of Boston musicians he is much more successful in Europe for some reason.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNinesFestival. Show TheNinesFestival's posts

There are opportunities for artists to get involved through 3Rivers Arts, the festival's arts partner. Email TheNines@3riversarts.com.

Also, the festival is adding artists as they sign on and they can be found at http://theninesfestival.com/lineup/art/

Yes, Dr. Dog would be the big draw for me.  I'm only familiar with EitS but would be interested to see them live.  Delta Spirit played a good show down in Atlanta last month.

Fair pricing for the caliber of artists.  Even the VIP tix are cheap (for a festival).  

The music looks fine, but there isn't much detail on the "arts" aspect to the festival.  I'd like to hear more about that.

I saw the GNP logo, too...which I indeed recalled from a couple of Phish outings. (I painted a mural at Clifford Ball.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to TheNinesFestival's comment:

There are opportunities for artists to get involved through 3Rivers Arts, the festival's arts partner. Email TheNines@3riversarts.com.

Also, the festival is adding artists as they sign on and they can be found at http://theninesfestival.com/lineup/art/

Thanks for the info!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BHiggs90. Show BHiggs90's posts

The Price IS awesome! And if you're coming in from out of town, you can keep your transportation costs down with their event page on RidePost:

https://www.ridepost.com/events/28-the-nines-music-art-and-discovery-festival

No money no prolems ;]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Best festival imaginable.   For an inaugural year, the people who coordinated this event did an outstanding job.   

One of the nicest aspects (since it was a "first") -- it wasn't that crowded.    Great turnout, but plenty of room.    After the word gets out, and in the future, I am sure it there will be a sharp increase in attendance.   Anyone that wasn't there, sorry to tell ya, but you missed out.   :)

Could not have been a more laid back crowd.   All ages, all types, lots of hippie-styles (old and young) and family-friendly, too.   Real nice vibe all around.    

Can't say enough about the music and the artists that played at this thing.   Not ONE miss among them.    Perfect blend for a summer festival and all of them poured their hearts and souls into their music.   It was also fun to see how, as the bands progressed throughout the day, their playing power increased.   

Because I wanted to see Shuggie Otis, who was on early in the afternoon, I wanted to get there early enough to see him, so I got there ahead of my friend.    Since I only found out who Shuggie is about 6 months ago ---  I just HAD to take advantage of him playing at this thing.    Well, he's a totally cool cat,  a R&B funkadelic, jazz guy, and while his voice was a little thin at times, he can still put on quite a show.    His backup musicians were all fantastic, some old-timers who played solos (sax, bass, etc.) and some younger musicians, too.   Shuggie wrote "Strawberry Letter 23" which closed the set.    Otherwise, I was thriled to get to see him; he's been out there since the 60's, and man, he looks fantastic.   That R&B has been kind to him.  

Walk off the Earth was also a pleasant surprise, great "party" atmosphere, young, emerging band, that seems to have lots of younger fans.     Delta Spirit were also a huge surprise -- put on a truly fun, rockin' show.   Can now see why they perhaps got lots of acclaim when they had their hit "California" (which they closed their set with), because they are SO much more than that song.  

Dr. Dog KILLED IT.    That's all I can say.   I can't think of anyone on the forum who would not have agreed.   They are an indie band with a real hard edge, IMO, and it looks like they have a new album coming out this fall.  I am going to have to check back and get an album. 

As for Explosions in the Sky, I did a thread on them a long time ago, not sure if anyone has heard of them since, but they are an indie "wordless" band, from Texas, and do very atmospheric, haunting, not always ambient, somewhat experimental rock.   I don't have time right this sec, but I can post a couple of links to some songs later.  I've been a fan for a few years, and have a few of their albums; truly unique.   It was a rare chance to get to see them.  

As for the REST of the festival:

They had a comedy tent that did not overlap with music, so we got to see some pretty good comedy acts.   My fave was a young guy who did part of his routine on his coming of age sex life (VERY funny), and believe it or not, he devoted part of it to YOGA comedy.   I was howling, more than anyone else in the tent, I think.  He had a lot to say about various positions ...   :D

Final word on the the "music ART discovery" tagline -- the "art."   There were some very talented artists that had booths at this event -- selling paintings, original silk screen designed cards and shirts, prints, jewelry ... very, very select.   But the big surprise for me was that my favorite local artist was there --- displaying her incredible paintings.   I was so happy to see her and since we had been out of touch for a while, she told me that she had actually been sad that she had not seen me and was a little worried about me.    So that was a highlight of my day.    I bought two of her block paintings (small and very cost-effective) to add to my collection.    And I bought an interesting pair of earrings from an astonishingly talented woman who works out of her studio in ME, and studied / majored in her craft at one of the ME state universities.    

All in all, it could not have been better.   The weather could not have been better, either, but that was just luck.  No humidity, a breeze, warm.   Who can make that happen?   The only thing to "criticize" was that it didn't last two days.   That's their goal for the future, and if this was a preview, then there's no doubt that a two-day festival for The Nines is just around the bend.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Best festival imaginable.   For an inaugural year, the people who coordinated this event did an outstanding job.   

One of the nicest aspects (since it was a "first") -- it wasn't that crowded.    Great turnout, but plenty of room.    After the word gets out, and in the future, I am sure it there will be a sharp increase in attendance.   Anyone that wasn't there, sorry to tell ya, but you missed out.   :)

Could not have been a more laid back crowd.   All ages, all types, lots of hippie-styles (old and young) and family-friendly, too.   Real nice vibe all around.    

Can't say enough about the music and the artists that played at this thing.   Not ONE miss among them.    Perfect blend for a summer festival and all of them poured their hearts and souls into their music.   It was also fun to see how, as the bands progressed throughout the day, their playing power increased.   

Because I wanted to see Shuggie Otis, who was on early in the afternoon, I wanted to get there early enough to see him, so I got there ahead of my friend.    Since I only found out who Shuggie is about 6 months ago ---  I just HAD to take advantage of him playing at this thing.    Well, he's a totally cool cat,  a R&B funkadelic, jazz guy, and while his voice was a little thin at times, he can still put on quite a show.    His backup musicians were all fantastic, some old-timers who played solos (sax, bass, etc.) and some younger musicians, too.   Shuggie wrote "Strawberry Letter 23" which closed the set.    Otherwise, I was thriled to get to see him; he's been out there since the 60's, and man, he looks fantastic.   That R&B has been kind to him.  

Walk off the Earth was also a pleasant surprise, great "party" atmosphere, young, emerging band, that seems to have lots of younger fans.     Delta Spirit were also a huge surprise -- put on a truly fun, rockin' show.   Can now see why they perhaps got lots of acclaim when they had their hit "California" (which they closed their set with), because they are SO much more than that song.  

Dr. Dog KILLED IT.    That's all I can say.   I can't think of anyone on the forum who would not have agreed.   They are an indie band with a real hard edge, IMO, and it looks like they have a new album coming out this fall.  I am going to have to check back and get an album. 

As for Explosions in the Sky, I did a thread on them a long time ago, not sure if anyone has heard of them since, but they are an indie "wordless" band, from Texas, and do very atmospheric, haunting, not always ambient, somewhat experimental rock.   I don't have time right this sec, but I can post a couple of links to some songs later.  I've been a fan for a few years, and have a few of their albums; truly unique.   It was a rare chance to get to see them.  

As for the REST of the festival:

They had a comedy tent that did not overlap with music, so we got to see some pretty good comedy acts.   My fave was a young guy who did part of his routine on his coming of age sex life (VERY funny), and believe it or not, he devoted part of it to YOGA comedy.   I was howling, more than anyone else in the tent, I think.  He had a lot to say about various positions ...   :D

Final word on the the "music ART discovery" tagline -- the "art."   There were some very talented artists that had booths at this event -- selling paintings, original silk screen designed cards and shirts, prints, jewelry ... very, very select.   But the big surprise for me was that my favorite local artist was there --- displaying her incredible paintings.   I was so happy to see her and since we had been out of touch for a while, she told me that she had actually been sad that she had not seen me and was a little worried about me.    So that was a highlight of my day.    I bought two of her block paintings (small and very cost-effective) to add to my collection.    And I bought an interesting pair of earrings from an astonishingly talented woman who works out of her studio in ME, and studied / majored in her craft at one of the ME state universities.    

All in all, it could not have been better.   The weather could not have been better, either, but that was just luck.  No humidity, a breeze, warm.   Who can make that happen?   The only thing to "criticize" was that it didn't last two days.   That's their goal for the future, and if this was a preview, then there's no doubt that a two-day festival for The Nines is just around the bend.   

Glad you had a great time!!

(I had multiple conflicts, so couldn't make it.)

Also happy to see you've caught the Dr. Dog bug - very infectious, outstanding live band...really fun stuff...one of my favorite discoveries of the past 2 years or so.

Did you catch Air Traffic Controller?  They're an ascendant local band I like (saw at LIG last year).  They sounded great live on WERS the other day (and name-dropped Dr. Dog as faves too)....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Glad you had a great time!!

(I had multiple conflicts, so couldn't make it.)

Also happy to see you've caught the Dr. Dog bug - very infectious, outstanding live band...really fun stuff...one of my favorite discoveries of the past 2 years or so.

Did you catch Air Traffic Controller?  They're an ascendant local band I like (saw at LIG last year).  They sounded great live on WERS the other day (and name-dropped Dr. Dog as faves too)....

Sounds like you've been on the concert circuit every weekend this summer, so it's understandable something had to give.    Next year, after you see the lineup (if it's as good as it was this year), depending on the rest of the summer landscape of music, you may want to put it on your list.  

I did not catch ATC, unfortunately, as they were on *very* early, before Shuggie Otis, and as it was, I got there just in time to see Shuggie.   I like ATC, too, from what I've heard on WERS, so was glad to see them on the lineup; similar to LIG, they packed the schedule starting very early in the day.   

I did see Kid Koala, a DJ who does electronic dance music, and he was a blast.  No way I'd be attending an entire EDM festival, so this one act was a nice treat.   He mentioned he's from Montreal, BTW.

Your recommendation re: Dr Dog was downplayed if anything -- that's usually for the best -- but seriously, they were phenomenal.  They killed it; they are beasts -- and as I said, I can see most of the regular posters here getting into them, too.   

Believe it or not, and oddly, I thought that Dr. Dog provided a unique and beautiful segue for Explosions in the Sky.   I just saw the writeup in the Globe that said Explosions in the Sky "provided a soft landing for the first Nines.   It wasn't a grand gesture finale, but a more meditative and shimmering moment of introspection.  Not typical ..."     See, that suits me to a *tee*.    :)    

Sections
Shortcuts