Final, belaboured, unwelcome thoughts re DD's honest, legitimate, comments about this forum:

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Final, belaboured, unwelcome thoughts re DD's honest, legitimate, comments about this forum:

• Can anybody think of a song that starts with the letter "R"?

• It's Arbor Day! What are your favourite songs about trees?

• Let's talk about the same old cr@p we'll never change our mind or another's mind about!

• It's 1 December again! What are your favourite Christmas songs?

• "Then I saw his face, now I'm a Belieber!"

I'd like to hear what you heard today/recently that you liked and why. Your view on LPs/CDs/digi. Any cool record stores where you l1ve? Any closing? Any edgy new Iggy Pop adverts you've seen on tv? Upcoming gig? Band you dig? New satirical song about the Eagles? Or lawyers?

Anything new to you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: Final, belaboured, unwelcome thoughts re DD's honest, legitimate, comments about this forum:

1) Radar Love

2) Belly (of course!) "Feed the Tree"

3) Fun!

4) Whoa, time warp dude!

5) Yeah, all set with that.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Final, belaboured, unwelcome thoughts re DD's honest, legitimate, comments about this forum:

As usual, I beg to differ. I don't think we need to dismiss any topic as too trivial. Sometimes the most trivial topics generate the most activity. Is that a bad thing? Sometimes we just like to have a little mindless fun. Kind of the same thing that pop/rock music provides us. 

Look, we've had this debate before about getting old. Most people form their taste during a certain part of their lives and then they tend to stay that way. We all aren't looking for something new all the time. But as we talk about our likes and dislikes sometimes we may strike a chord. Maybe it's just the fun of finding other fans of the same artist. Maybe it's just interesting to get to know people and their tastes as interesting individuals. And once in a while, we may discover something new. It's not the thread topic that matters, it's the conversations it sparks, even if they wander far afield. 

Here is a blues song by Robert Pete Williams. I have this on CD and think it is one of the coolest blues songs ever recorded. I also love Captain Beefheart's version. The Black Keys also covered it. I love the lyrics. Imagine spending so much time in prison that when you get out you don't even know yourself. 

"Grown So Ugly" -Robert Pete Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTFWkLmc_7w" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTFWkLmc_7w

Captain Beefheart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGbDYUoDn4Y" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGbDYUoDn4Y

Black Keys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nThv8ZLWCLk

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimV7. Show SlimV7's posts

New to me, which as usual means 20 years after the fact, is Mark Arm.  Still can't warm to Mudhoney's music, but the guy gives some of the best interviews ever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As usual, I beg to differ. I don't think we need to dismiss any topic as too trivial. Sometimes the most trivial topics generate the most activity. Is that a bad thing? Sometimes we just like to have a little mindless fun. Kind of the same thing that pop/rock music provides us. 

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I saw this thread a few days ago and didn't get back to it; I saw the sarcasm, and it didn't offend me, but I agree, we all know where Sonics is coming from by now, made clear by Sonics.  :D

Our "Arbor Day" and "Picnic" threads to me are synonymous with sitting around the water cooler, saying hi, getting people together.   It can be mindless, but some of us return to those threads when we think of more songs, and we have a few "aha" moments.    Even those threads have been as dead-ended as I've ever seen them lately, yet, I would not discount them.

As it stands, one of my now favorite / best groups of all time came from one of those "trivial" threads, and the response I got from my comment, believe it or not.   Then again, I'm not your average bear in terms of paying attention, I admit it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd like to hear what you heard today/recently that you liked and why. Your view on LPs/CDs/digi. Any cool record stores where you l1ve? Any closing? Any edgy new Iggy Pop adverts you've seen on tv? Upcoming gig? Band you dig? New satirical song about the Eagles? Or lawyers?

Anything new to you!

[/QUOTE]

This, however, I do agree with, and the implication is not that "new" means "current", and I have never taken it that way coming from Sonics or anyone else.  I actually take pride in knowing I have not been particularly inspired to buy any current music this year (yet!) and everything I have bought (and love), frankly, I don't keep track of the release dates because it's not important to me, other than seeing where the album "fits" in terms of the rest of the artists' catalog on the whole.   For my purposes, the date on the album has nothing to do with my purchase. 

I happen to like the comparison threads.  I have authored most of them, and even when my comparison (Petty or Earle?) was off-base, the discussion generated was top-drawer (and fun)and when the threads get redirected like that, they're even more interesting.   The opinions in that thread (in particular) were strong, and I could ultimately see where everyone was coming from.

I also like opinions on the albums by some of the classic bands, whether it's your favorite or what you think is the "best" of the bunch, if you know the artist well enough.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Bimp

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]

Bimp

[/QUOTE]

Bimp = Bizarre and bump       I like it. 

Now, from inactivity, we are being invaded by all the insidious spam that is also invading all of the inactive forums.  It's like weeds taking over.  Reminds me of an old abandoned house, with a porch in disrepair, boarded up windows ... okay, I'll stop.     

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bimp

[/QUOTE]

Bimp = Bizarre and bump       I like it. 

Now, from inactivity, we are being invaded by all the insidious spam that is also invading all of the inactive forums.  It's like weeds taking over.  Reminds me of an old abandoned house, with a porch in disrepair, boarded up windows ... okay, I'll stop.     

[/QUOTE]

It's time to spruce the place up!