First album you ever bought...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

First album you ever bought...

This has probably been a topic before, but what the heck? Feel free to give an explanation...

Mine was "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor. My older brother worked at a Rose's, and I wanted to buy my first record, so he recommended that. Still have it, though it's not in very good condition.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: First album you ever bought...

I was lucky in that my sisters are 9 & 11 years older than me and they spoiled me rotten. I was almost 6 when the Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan. They saw how infatuated I was with the Beatles/British Invasion and they supplied me with my first 50 pieces of vinyl. As a kid, I did not receive an allowance and I was not allowed to keep more that a couple of dollars from my b-day money. The rest would go into a bank account. So if my memory serves me correctly, the first album I bought using the money I saved up was Magical Mystery Tour.

The great thing was that by the time I was 11, one of my sisters was working part-time in a store called E.J. Korvettes. I had my first paper route by then and every penny I made went to buying LP's. New releases at the time were between 2.99 - 3.99 each. I would buy about 3 LP's per week and reap the benefit of my sisters 20% store discount.

Great memories.

Excellent post my friend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The first album I ever bought was a 50/50 purchase of Revolver with my brother.  Cost us about 2 bucks apiece.  I think my first solo purchase was Sgt. Pepper.  And I'm pretty sure both albums were in mono, not stereo. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: First album you ever bought...:
    The first album I ever bought was a 50/50 purchase of Revolver with my brother.  Cost us about 2 bucks apiece.  I think my first solo purchase was Sgt. Pepper.  And I'm pretty sure both albums were in mono, not stereo. 
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

When they released the re-mastered Beatle collections last year, I bought the Mono version as well as the stereo version. It was pricey, but worth it. I suggest anyone who is a Beatle fan to get the mono versions:

Dear Prudence from the White Album and Baby You're a Rich Man from Mystery Tour make it worth it all on their own. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The first rock album I remember owning was  "Meet the Beatles" , I really don't know if I actually bought it or it was bought by my parents or grandparents. I just had a small amount of piggy bank money when I was young and my parents didn't really approve of music by those "long haired hippies". Plus, whatever money I had back then was reserved for baseball cards and comic books, much more attractive to a 5-8 year old kid living in the suburbs of southern Massachusetts.

My mom and dad have been passed away for many years, I am sure they wouldn't remember, anyway. I often wonder what my dad would think if he was around to see groups and artists like P.Diddy and 50 cent!!!

I remember all the vinyl albums I had when I was in my early teens , as I really had a very small collection ( quality , not quantity).

Neil Young's -Harvest, the first three Santana LP's, Bill Cosby- To Russell , my Brother, Who I slept with, and Bill Cosby is a very Funny Fellow, Right?( with the Noah sketches), The Impossible Dream- story of the 67 Red Sox,and the afore mentioned Meet the Beatles.

Oddly, although I wore out the Meet the Beatles LP, I wouldn't own another until I was in high school, and I wouldn't have the whole collection until CD's were introduced. My brother-in-law was a huge Beatlemaniac and I borrowed all his albums and taped them on cassette.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Cassette were a great thing. My brother in-law who is probably a bigger RnR junkie than myself used to record all his new purchases onto cassette for me. Saved me a ton of money. Also, the both of us would only receive albums for Xmas so the family would make sure that they didn't buy doubles, this way we could record what the other one received.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm pretty sure it was the Beach Boys' Endless Summer, but it's entirely possible that I don't remember.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I, too, had a few older brothers and sisters, so I usually just stole theirs or copied them onto cassette (that was hi-tech piracy back then, folks).

But the first albums (not singles) I bought with my own money were:

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
    The Police - Synchronicity
    John Cougar - American Fool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I, too, had a few older brothers and sisters, so I usually just stole theirs or copied them onto cassette (that was hi-tech piracy back then, folks). But the first albums (not singles) I bought with my own money were: Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes The Police - Synchronicity John Cougar - American Fool
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Ah, you're a whipper-snapper compared to us geezers and our Beatles talk!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Hey Jess and soxnut (and other Beatle fans): This is a bit off the subject, but have you seen/played the Beatles Rock Band? Bought it for my kids, who love it, but I have to admit I enjoy it probably as much.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Hey Jess and soxnut (and other Beatle fans): This is a bit off the subject, but have you seen/played the Beatles Rock Band? Bought it for my kids, who love it, but I have to admit I enjoy it probably as much.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Hey, I'm a huge Beatles fan too and I have Beatles Rock Band for the Wii. I love all Rock Band and Guitar Hero games. Those are the only video games an old-timer like me can be successful at. Those music games are a lot of fun.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Cassette were a great thing. My brother in-law who is probably a bigger RnR junkie than myself used to record all his new purchases onto cassette for me. Saved me a ton of money. Also, the both of us would only receive albums for Xmas so the family would make sure that they didn't buy doubles, this way we could record what the other one received.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I still play cassettes in my car.

I'm sure to most people this sounds like prehistoric technology, but they never skip, they are durable as hell if you take good care of them and they stand heat/ cold temp changes pretty well. I have some I recorded off my CD's 12-15 years ago that still sound like they were made yesterday. I mainly use Maxell, but TDK and Sony make top quality cassettes with high impact plastic shells and they sound great...call it old-fashioned but it works for me. I always say , if it ain't broke , don't fix it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: First album you ever bought... : I still play cassettes in my car. I'm sure to most people this sounds like prehistoric technology, but they never skip, they are durable as hell if you take good care of them and they stand heat/ cold temp changes pretty well. I have some I recorded off my CD's 12-15 years ago that still sound like they were made yesterday. I mainly use Maxell, but TDK and Sony make top quality cassettes with high impact plastic shells and they sound great...call it old-fashioned but it works for me. I always say , if it ain't broke , don't fix it.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I'm actually surprised at the durability of the casette tape. I've still got hundreds of them from the dim, dead past that are perfectly functional . . .  or would be, except for the other surprise I got when I went looking for a Walkman.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I still have at least a couple of hundred tapes which are playable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Queen Live Killers

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Revolver, fall 1966.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Pink Floyd - The Wall

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

First album or first really good album of a group that was current?

My first album was an Elvis Presley Greatest Hits (this was in the late '70s) followed by The Beatles 1962-66.

Then I remember joining the Columbia Record and Tape Club but didn't get anything great -- pop artists like Barry Manilow (I forget who else because my sisters picked some too).

When I finally started knowing more about music, my first album of a then-current group was Pink FLoyd's The Wall.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

My very first record purchase was a 45.  Bought lots of those before I ever got an album.  The 45 was Paul Revere and the Raiders doing 'Mr Sun, Mr Moon'. 

My first albums were all Christmas Presents,  usually from my 2 Aunts.  I clearly remember opening one up and saw this weird cover with a tire, pizza, tape reel, and other junk on a spindle.  Huh?  It was 'Let it Bleed', the year it came out.  Even at the age of 10 I thought it was excellent.   The following year I got a greatest hits from Canned Heat, which I didn't take to right away, couldn't stand Alan Wilson's voice.  But that one definitely grew on me much later in life.

And ah yes, the Columbia Record club. I was a member and bought alot from them.  And like many others bailed out before fully meeting my requirements, which resulted in a couple of nasty letters, before they went away. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

My first album was a Christmas gift from my older sister.She bought me "The Monkees" first album.My first album purchase was "The Archies".I later traded it for Jimi Hendrix "Are you experienced?".After that,I was never the same.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

omg, zilla, once again.......

Meet The Beatles.  My sister bought it for me for my 10th birthday.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

omg, zilla, once again....... Meet The Beatles.  My sister bought it for me for my 10th birthday.
    Posted by cosmogirl

I may have to start a nice rumor about you and Zilla.