First recording ever purchased

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

First recording ever purchased

I know this will out several of us age wise, but do you remember the first record you ever purchased?  Mine was the 45 rpm of Peggy Sue (B side: Everyday) by Buddy Holly which I bought in 1957 at the age of eight.  I still vividly remember the orange Coral Records label. 

The second 45 I bought was Bony Maronie (B side: You Bug Me Baby) by Larry Williams, and that was followed by Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel by Elvis.

The first CD I purchased was Paul Simon's Graceland.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: First recording ever purchased

For me it was The Wall by Pink Floyd. But this also spurred me to into buying all previous Pink Floyd albums, which came out long before I was old enough to buy albums.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

My first 45 rpm was "Downtown" by Petula Clark. I think my first album was Herman's Hermits first album.

I still have about 650 45rpms and 600 albums. I had a flood in my basement several years ago that ruined the jackets on all the albums.

Cry

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

First 45 - Paperback Writer
    First album - Revolver
    First 8-track tape - Bridge Over Troubled Water

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgihal. Show tgihal's posts

raindrops keep falling on my head - bj thomas
    leaving on a jet plane- peter paul and mary

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

I inheirited most of my 45s from my older sister...but the first one I ever purchased with my own money was Queen: The Game.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I'm not too sure, but I think probably LA Woman by The Doors.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Pretty sure it was "Let It Be/You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)" by the Beatles. Remember those little things you'd stick in the hole of the 45 to put it on your turntable?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Led Zeppelin II

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

My first purchase with my actual own money was Magical Mystery Tour (I believe).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Beach Boys -- Endless Summer.

Awesome.

(except when I was a kid, we didn't say "awesome," we said "keen" -- and in the case of the Beach Boys, "wicked keen."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

'Dizzy' by Tommy Roe was the very first 45 for me.   Not long after I just had to have 'Mr Sun, Mr Moon' by Paul Revere and the Raiders.  I used to get LP's for Christmas,  it was a while before I bought one myself.  I suspect it was probably a Who album, but I don't remember.  Good times, good times.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

J. Geils Band - Blow Your Face Out

...started me on a very long fascination with live albums and bootlegs that continues to this day.

Ironically enough, my second purchase WAS a bootleg of Boston's own Jon Butcher's original band - Johanna Wild.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I used to have a bunch of 45's , maybe about 50 or so. I remember having "My Sweet Lord" by George Harrison also I had "The Theme From Dark Shadows"...I think the 2nd one was my first purchase.

I know my first LP that I bought with my own cash was Neil Young's Harvest. (or at least I am reasonably sure...who's really sure about anything that happened 40 years ago?

My first two CD's bought on my way home with my first CD player in 1989 were 'The Clash' by the Clash and 'Dead Man's Party' by Oingo Boingo. That, I remember for absolute certain.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

Thanks to Slim for the memory jog...

1st single - Indian Reservation (Raiders)
    1st LP - American Pie (Don McLean)
    1st CD - Brothers in Arms (Dire Straits)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

So far nobody mentioned 78's , which makes me think I might be one of the "older" posters here....( I actually had a few. I "borrowed"some from my dad's collection. I think my favorite was Sh-boom, Sh-boom by the Crew Cuts, don't laugh, it was kind of a cool song ...considering).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pottlukk. Show pottlukk's posts

Rush's "Archives" which was their first three albums on two cassettes.  Purchased at Midland Records in the Methuen Mall.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

First album: Sly and the Family Stone - Fresh.
    First CD: Rikkie Lee Jones - Flying Cowboys

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

The Rolling Stones.

It was either Aftermath or Outta Our Heads

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Zilla - I have a whole library of 78's. Big Band music but they were handed down from my late Pops.

Also, I didn't include 45's in this conversation because I just don't remember.

How many here ever joined the Columbia Music club to get 11 albums for a penny?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

In Response to Re: First recording ever purchased:
    [QUOTE]ZilHow many here ever joined the Columbia Music club to get 11 albums for a penny?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I did!  But then you had to buy X number per year after that at full price and most of the choices in the monthly catalog were crap. 

So, sub-question:  how many broke the terms of the contract and had Columbia send a couple of feeble threatening letters before they gave up and went away?  Laughing

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

The first record I remember playing was Supertramp..."Breakfast in America".  I was given a record player and about a dozen records.  I think it was around 1980 and I was 8 yrs old. 

About 2 years later I had about 30 records, but left them in the back seat of the family car during a very hot weekend.  They all melted.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from uclid. Show uclid's posts

Bought my first LP in the sixty's can't remember what  the first one was. That was so long ago. I have been collecting vinyl ever since. Oh ya, I was in the Columbia Music club for a while.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Well put slim - I must have joined a few times using various family names and broke the contract all but once.

The other thing were those k-tel compilation albums. I got a few of those as well.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

I joined, quit and rejoined Columbia and/or BMG several times over the years.  It was a great way to build a collection.

As far as 78's go, I'm not quite that old, Zilla, but I remember playing my parents' 78's.  

I listed my first 45's in the OP.  My first album?